Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 9/16/2004, 8:32 PM
Always. If you use FAT32, you limit your capture lengths/file sizes.
John_Cline wrote on 9/16/2004, 8:59 PM
It is a good idea to use NTFS format partitions for video work, but it is NOT a good idea to enable the file and folder compression on the NTFS drives. DV video wont really compress much (if at all) and enabling compression on the drive will just slow it down, but by all means, use NTFS drives.

John
jyoung50 wrote on 9/16/2004, 11:12 PM
Always use NTFS and NEVER enable compression. FAT32 limits you to 2GB files. Compressed folders and drives add alot of extra overhead to the file system and is only useful for archived data - not for vidio data, which requires the most efficient throughput possible. With large hard drives being so affordable it makes little sense, to me at least, to add the extra burden of file system compression to my systems.
riredale wrote on 9/17/2004, 9:19 PM
You can have a file size of up to 4GB in FAT32. Vegas deals with FAT32 very gracefully, but it still makes sense to format in NTFS, if possible.

I think the primary reason compression is not very useful with DV avi is not so much because of decompression overhead (though I'm sure there is some) but because the DV format represents video data that is already highly compressed; running such data through a second compression process won't gain very much.