Use "UNDO" at your peril. Veg12 locks up.

Sidecar wrote on 9/5/2013, 9:27 PM
I just hit "CTRL-Z" to undo an edit and Vegas 12 locked up so badly even Task Manager couldn't kill the program.

I tried to reopen the file and have been waiting 10 minutes for it to open. It won't. I have lost serious work. Again.

I'm losing confidence in Vegas as a reliable editing platform. The Company wants me to use Premiere and t's looking better all the time. No threat, just truth. I'm two hours past going home and I can't finish my work.

Comments

Sidecar wrote on 9/5/2013, 9:38 PM
It's now 7:36 and I am trying to open my manually backed up file that had a different name. It gets to 53% and freezes. I'm looking at a translucent white screen and a rotating "wait" circle.

It's a 73-second 1080-24p program. Way to go, Vegas 12 "Pro!"
Sidecar wrote on 9/5/2013, 9:49 PM
It's now 7:45. I rebooted the computer and manually started Vegas.

It reported, "Vegas didn't close correctly! Want to open a backup copy and resave?"

So I did.

The backup is frozen also, at 56% loading. So far I've wasted about an hour, and am nowhere near opening my project. I have one more backup copy of the project on another drive, but something tells me this won't open, either.

If there is a corrupted piece of media, wouldn't it be nice for Vegas to tell me which piece I need to fix or remove?

But nooooooooooo. It just sits there with that maddening blue "wait" circle spinning in perpetual circles while at the top of the monitor Vegas says, "(Not Responding)."

What kind of program doesn't "respond?" More importantly, why?
Steve Mann wrote on 9/5/2013, 9:51 PM
Use Resmon to see what Vegas is waiting for.
ritsmer wrote on 9/6/2013, 12:16 AM
When the Windows Operating system can not kill a running task chance is that something is badly wrong in Windows - or in a device driver.

Have seen this with faulty usb devices hanging up programs that seemingly do not even use the device.
set wrote on 9/6/2013, 2:46 AM
Don't trust a lot with "UNDO", this is usual for me in previous versions too (although I feel it is much better now in VP12?).

If you need to UNDO, the best thing is save or save as first, and don't do it too many times.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

ushere wrote on 9/6/2013, 3:25 AM
4hr edit with LOTS of undoing (client sitting over my shoulder - grrr). no problems at all.

m2t / wav / jpg

*just to add, i have edwards autosave on and before doing anything 'messy', ALWAYS save a new 'version'.
malowz wrote on 9/6/2013, 4:17 AM
i have a rule. "Save" before undo.

i believe 5% of my "undo's" result in crash or freeze. so i avoid it like the plague.
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 9/6/2013, 5:01 AM
I also have some rules.

Save progressive saves. If Vegas bombs out then save the backup as a new save.
larry-peter wrote on 9/6/2013, 9:03 AM
I have run into a few disastrous crashes during an undo operation, and after looking at event and file timings started to suspect that undos that happened when an autobackup was taking place may have been the issue. No hard evidence, but since turning off Timeline Tools' incremental backup and just manually saving before undoing, have not had a crash on undo in several weeks. I had Timeline Tools set to backup every five minutes (yes, paranoia) which was probably overkill.

Still it's only anecdotal evidence and I still love Timeline Tools.
Gary James wrote on 9/6/2013, 10:45 AM
atom12, very interesting. I'm not sure how the Timeline Tools Autosave could be at fault unless Vegas itself allows the user to perform an "Undo" action simultaneously with saving a Project.

This is how the Timeline Tools Autosave behaves.

1. When the Autosave timer is fired, it checks the Vegas "dirty" flag to see if any changes have been made to the Project since the last time interval expired.
2. If no changes were made it does nothing. If changes have been made it proceeds with the backup.
3. it performs a programmatic Save of your project ( the same as if you pressed the Save button )
4. Then It then makes a copy of the newly saved project file with the current Date & Time appended to the name of the Project file copy.

If Vegas really does allow the user to perform an Undo action while saving the Project file, this problem could occur with any Autosave function in any Vegas Extension. Maybe the frequency of your autosave combined with the frequency with your "Undo" actions created the perfect storm of simultaneous Saving and Undoing. At least you had the backup from the previous 5 minutes to fall back on.

larry-peter wrote on 9/6/2013, 11:52 AM
Hi Gary,
As I said, this is purely anecdotal, and even if it is occurring I certainly don't fault TT. So many of the oddities and unreproducible crashes with Vegas I am almost certain have to do with memory handling - perhaps RAM not being flushed/refreshed at the precise time expected or multi-threaded instructions falling out of order. This could be the case with an issue like this one, and it could be specific to RAM timings on the user side, I guess. I'm not smart enough to even speculate further.
Editguy43 wrote on 9/6/2013, 11:39 PM
Sidecar
I had a similar problem on a project a couple of weeks ago, it was a client file from a cell phone. and at 56% it would freeze up. had to use task manager to close.

I tried an experiment and stopped the peak building proses before it got to 56% and the program went on and worked fine I then rendered it as something else and then it would load fine after that, to this day I am not sure what was wrong (it still will not load the original file) Hope that might help a little.

Paul B