Using Sonar to edit audio error

56speedster wrote on 9/30/2014, 9:53 PM
Hello: I am a newbie with Vegas Pro 13 so any help is appreciated. I am receiving an error in Sonar X3 when selecting audio to open in audio editor. The error that I am receiving is "Could Not Open file. The file may be damaged or incompatible with this version of Sonar".. I was wandering if anyone has experienced this problem. Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 9/30/2014, 10:09 PM
This is a Sony forum, not Sonar.
Two different companies.
56speedster wrote on 10/1/2014, 6:49 PM
Da,
Sometimes people can be helpful instead of being sarcastic. It is a compatibility issue between the two programs. I am sure there are other users that use both programs and could have dealt with this issue. Have a great day musicvid10 I don't need your help!
musicvid10 wrote on 10/1/2014, 9:54 PM

It looks like I misread your post. We get support requests for all kinds of third-party applications and plugins here; most of them go unanswered.

I have no earthly idea if opening Sonar as the preferred audio editor directly from the Vegas timeline works or not, nor do I know if such support is specifically mentioned in the literature.

I assume you've tried opening files rendered by Vegas in Sonar. If you get the same incompatibility message, post the complete MediaInfo properties here, and someone may be able to help. I began handing off audio files from Sonic Foundry to Cakewalk almost fifteen years ago. In that time, I'm sure I never invoked Cakewalk as my primary audio editor, although there may be some reasons to do so in Sonar.

Another alternative might be to post the same information on the Sonar forums. Welcome to the Sony peer forums, and best of luck.

pwppch wrote on 10/2/2014, 12:33 AM
I don't think musicvid10 was trying to be sarcastic.

So, you are trying to use Sonar as the editor of audio in Vegas.

What is the media in Vegas you are trying to open in Sonar? Is it a AV file, or an audio only file?

If it is an AV file, then you may have to "Open copy" as Sonar may not support loading the AV file/format.

Peter
56speedster wrote on 10/2/2014, 6:23 PM
Sorry for the reaction to musicvid10, I realize that the post could have been misunderstood by my wording and that you do help many of the people here, so I apologize for my comments. I do appreciate the help.
I am able to load a rendered file into sonar ok. I was trying to send the audio only track from Vegas Pro 13 to Sonar X3 via the right click command and selecting Open copy in audio editor. I have assigned Sonar as my audio editor but receive the error mentioned above.
SonyPCH the format showing under properties is uncompressed.

I have posted in the Sonar forum as well but waiting to hear back on that.

Thanks
musicvid10 wrote on 10/2/2014, 9:22 PM
" I was trying to send the audio only track from Vegas Pro 13 to Sonar X3"
Is it a stereo project or a 5.1 Surround project?
Are all other tracks muted (except the audio tracks)?
pwppch wrote on 10/3/2014, 3:36 PM

What Vegas sends it is the actual path and file name of the file you "Open in..."

Does Sonar allow for a media file to be loaded from its "command line" interface? I don't know what this workflow would solve though. My guess is that Sonar would create a new project and add a track with the file sent from Vegas.

Once there, if you edit it or anything, you'd have to write render it to the same file and location for Vegas to pick up any editing you did in Sonar.

A quick look on Google and the Sonar forums indidcate only a Sonar project can be sent to Sonar via its command line options.

I don't have Sonar installed right now, so I cannot verify.

Peter
Geoff_Wood wrote on 10/3/2014, 5:34 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong ( not familiar and have only briefly checked out X3 'overview') , but wouldn't sending file to X3 to edit be similar to sending it to Vegas to edit ?

Or did I miss something and X3 has a surgical waveform editing function like SF ?

geoff
pwppch wrote on 10/3/2014, 10:02 PM
@geoff

That is what I was thinking. A DAW to edit a audio file has a large implication in its workflow and integration back to Vegas.

More like a nested project model that can use non-Vegas projects for nesting. An interesting idea, but not very likely or practical.

Peter
56speedster wrote on 10/6/2014, 8:45 PM
Thanks for the replies they are very helpful. It has all been an educational experience and still lots to learn. What I thought of how the process is done and the reality of the way it is done is becoming evident. This is what I am going to try, import a rendered avi. file from Vegas into Sonar and do the music, using mostly VSTi and midi etc. using the timeline for reference. Then render the audio files that have been bounced to wav.. Import the wav. files into Vegas were all video and audio can be combined and mixed for finals.
Regards, James
willqen wrote on 10/8/2014, 1:21 AM
Don't forget audio/video sync. You can either bounce from Sonar the complete audio/video files together as one project/file, or make sure you have easily recognizable sync points in the audio you bounce to .wav from Sonar.
Either way a/v sync can become a nightmare if you don't prepare for the issue.

Good Luck,
Will