V4 - V5

swarrine wrote on 3/2/2004, 10:04 PM
New features are terrific an needed to compete in todays marketplace. For instance, a render farm might be more usefull than direct hardware support especially if processes are scalable. (More computers = faster renders) we shall see.

There are some basics that I hope will be addresed, Ripple Edit (I have been complaining about it since V2 and still am), students who have mouse control difficulties dislike the looping region function and fade to/from black on a clip.

Track level controls are good, but I wish certain track level controls would be available on the clip level as well. Especially, volume control.

Basically, I am asking for some housekeeping in V5 as well as the new features that everyone is excited about.

Good luck to the Sony team and I look forward to V-5 or Pro or whatever it will be called

Comments

Cheno wrote on 3/2/2004, 10:08 PM
I think we're all anxiously awaiting further information. I don't feel like I've ever been let down by any changes, additions or new versions of Vegas. I'm excited that Sony has been able to do as much as they've obviously done in such little time wtih aquisition and stuff looming overhead.

I know this is a great reason just in itself to attend NAB this year.

Mike
stormstereo wrote on 3/2/2004, 11:14 PM
swarrine - I'm not sure I understand you correctly but we have clip level volume control. Plus the volume envelope.
Best/Tommy
GaryKleiner wrote on 3/2/2004, 11:18 PM
swarrine,

re: looping region function.
Does the Preferences>Editing>Collapse loop region... help you?

re: Event volume.
You can adjust this by dragging from the top edge of the event and adjusting the gain (which is hidden initially)

What would you like to see happen with ripple?

Gary
JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/3/2004, 5:54 AM
> What would you like to see happen with ripple?

It would be nice if it is was just a bit smarter. If you have three clips with a 1 second crossfade between them and ripple delete the middle clip you now have two clips with a 2 second crossfade between them! It adds the crossfade times, which is almost always NOT what I want to happen. (I have learned in my old age and wisdom never to say “never” but this is one case where I’d like to really say that this is “never” what you want to happen) It makes ripple edit kind of useless because you have to continually go back and adjust your crossfades.

What is needed is an option that gives you the choices: 1) Add overlaps, 2) use left event overlap time, 3) use right event overlap time. That would fix it for me.

~jr
swarrine wrote on 3/3/2004, 6:06 PM
Can you add points to clip level volume control?

Why not?
AlexB wrote on 3/3/2004, 6:32 PM
What's wrong for you with Insert Audio Envelope-Volume? If you want to permanently change the volume level of a clip with points, you can always render it to a new track, or open and edit in SoundForge.
Jessariah67 wrote on 3/3/2004, 8:17 PM
I would actually like to see a volume envelope on an audio clip similar to the velocity envelope on a video clip. As it is right now, you can only go down -- it would be nice to be able to go up 6dB as well. Track envelopes work fine, but clip control would just be easier for a "quick" boost. Seems that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to incorporate, but then I'm not a programmer...
HPV wrote on 3/3/2004, 8:33 PM
I would actually like to see a volume envelope on an audio clip similar to the velocity envelope on a video clip.
---------------------------------------------
It's there waiting for you to use it. It's under the inset menu/ audio envelopes.

Craig H.
HPV wrote on 3/3/2004, 8:36 PM
Plus you need to activate "lock envelopes to events" via the options menu. It will follow the clip, even to other tracks.

Craig H.
swarrine wrote on 3/3/2004, 9:26 PM
"What would you like to see happen with ripple?"

Hi Gary-

Ripple has never been "right" for me. Previous to V4 a proper ripple has not existed with VV - IMHO. The present version is a definite improvement, however, a problem still persists and is one that can delete existing work.

Basically, fades to/from black can be erased without user knowledge. This is caused by events that are dragged (in ripple mode) over events that contain fade to and from black on the left of the timeline.

There are plenty of debates about which software to use for video editing. All software has some problems, but, in my experience, Vegas has had the least amout of problems overall.

So, I do complain, however, I complain more as tough love than anything else. Some basics need to be attended to and addressed, that is all.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/4/2004, 5:08 AM
> I complain more as tough love than anything else

Oh, same here. I’ve managed major software development projects and what I wouldn’t give for a development team that produces software the quality of the Sonic Foundry team. Vegas is a complicated piece of software and its stability is above any other I have seen. Just trying to make a great product even better.

~jr
Jessariah67 wrote on 3/4/2004, 8:38 PM
Craig,

I was talking about an envelope exclusive to the CLIP, not the TRACK. Right now you can grab the top of an audio clip and lower the level. I'd like to see the option to raise it as well -- but within the clip only. The function you're refering to is track-wide. I use it often, but if I want to boost a particular clip, I'd like to kick it up a few dBs without having to insert the track envelope and messing with creating/adjusting 4 nodes to raise the volume a click or two.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/5/2004, 8:35 AM
> I'd like to see the option to raise it as well

You could right click on the clip and select Swithces->Normalize which will bring the volume up to about –3db and then adjust it down from there. Not a perfect solution if you want it louder than –3db but it may work for fixing really low volume source.

> I'd like to kick it up a few dBs without having to insert the track envelope and messing with creating/adjusting 4 nodes to raise the volume a click or two.

Why don’t you use QuickEnvelope? It will create the 4 points for you based on your selection. Scripts are great for automating this sort of thing.

~jr
mjroddy wrote on 3/5/2004, 9:13 AM
These "quick envelopes" is what I think swarrine was wanting on the clip level. Yes, you could make these changes in SF or other audio editor, and yes, the envelopes can be made to follow the clip. That being said, it's just a quicker, fewer step solution to simply have audio envelopes on the clip level, rather than on the track. Say you want to reduce a sneeze into the mick, or a bkg cough or any other hit. Just use the envelope and you've improved the sound. Now you want to repo that clip half a dozen times while editing and you have other envelopes on other clips. For a simple brain like mine, this gets confusing and hard to keep track of on the track level. If each clip was self-contained with all envelopes and effects, no further details would have to be addressed.
To be fair, this is how my last editing software worked, so I'm sort of stuck in my ways. It's how I was raised, and change is tough.
HPV wrote on 3/5/2004, 9:59 AM
I see how gain at the clip level could be handy. Doing it with track volume envelopes does take a little more work, but not much. That does have the limit of needing one frame to ramp up and one frame to ramp down the volume if you want to move the clip later or it is butted up to another clip.
I think your best work around would be to turn up the track volume then drop clip levels as need. Does that give you the gain you need?

Craig H.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/5/2004, 10:00 AM
If you use Lock Envelopes to Events the envelopes will stick to the events regardless of where you move them or however many times you copy and paste them. I’m not sure what’s so confusing about that. It behaves exactly as you want it to. I guess you just don’t like the implementation but the results are the same.

~jr
swarrine wrote on 3/5/2004, 1:03 PM
I don't like track level events when they are not needed for the whole track.

What I do now is create splits and ajust audio within the splits. Lowering the volume is easy, to increase the volume "Normalize" the clip. That covers the simple stuff, anything complex has to go to the track level.
farss wrote on 3/5/2004, 2:47 PM
Having decided what you need to do with the clip to remove say the sneeze, if I need it elsewhere just render it out and use that. Even IF Vegas did copy the event with the envelope you've still got a problem. Say after a while you don't like what you'd done to the clip. You'd have to go through say 10 copies of it and make the same changes. With my approach I only have to change the original and render it out to the same file name and all instances are changed.