Vegas 11 Pro - The new media stabilization SUCKS!

ReceptorDeceptor wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:09 AM
OK,

First of all, they took the media stabilization away from where it used to be (when you right-click a clip and it says "Stabilize Media"). Now it's only available as a FX into a media clip or a video channel .

Now, in theory, having the video stabilization as a clip/channel FX is not a bad thing, BUT Vegas 11 doesn't offer the option to only process "visible media" (= create a stabilized subclip)! This was a feature in Vegas 10 but seems it's not in v11 anymore!

There's a "create subclip" option in the right-click menu as you click on a video, but I haven't found the solution on how to process just the subclip (= a part of the overall video clip, nothing else)?

WHICH MEANS, if you have a long video and you want to stabilize only small parts of it , you have to render the clips first and then do the stabilization process... Is there any way around this? Am I missing something? How can I get past this problem?

*SIGH*. Considering that I just spent more than 100 euros on an update which is only interrupting my workflow as for now, I'm not very pleased.

Comments

RodC wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:11 AM
Can you not automate it with envelopes?
ReceptorDeceptor wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:18 AM
RodC,

You can't automate the stabilization, because the effect plug-in requires you to press "Apply" and pre-render the whole thing before it's applied.

Seth wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:22 AM
Sounds like we'll need to render to a new track till a fix comes out.
RodC wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:23 AM
I wonder if they expect you to split the clips and put the effect at the clip level?
ReceptorDeceptor wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:28 AM
Idiot Savant,

You're right. And it sounds like Sony ripped their customers off again.

Seriously, unless you're into 3D editing, I don't see any significant improvements in either the workflow, overall software stability or any other main components of the program since Vegas 9.

Instead, there's just bloating, bugs and unfinished new "features". Remember that the GPU acceleration was supposed to be a big new thing and a major feature in Vegas 10 already? It didn't even work! What a joke!

ReceptorDeceptor wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:36 AM
RodC,

If you try adding the stabilization plug-in to a media event, there's an error message saying that the plug-in needs to be applied either to a clip or a subclip.

So, to stabilize a portion of the overall video file, you need to first open it up in the trimmer, then create a subclip, then choose that subclip as an active take, then apply the effect.

In Vegas 10 the stabilization was way simpler, although it didn't even work as well as some freeware tools (that I probably can't mention here). You could just right-click and Vegas would ask if you would like to create a subclip instead. Now you have to do all of this manually which I think is irritable.

EDIT: And even after creating the subclip, it doesn't appear on the Take menu! So I can't stabilize the clip.

ReceptorDeceptor wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:54 AM
I'm coming to the conclusion that the video stabilization in Vegas 11 is one of the stupidest updates ever. Seriously - can anybody find a workaround to process a subclip of the overall video file quickly? The help file/documentation doesn't help at all. It's insane if the only option now is to do everything manually by rendering the video to separate clips and then applying the stabilization effect.

FrigidNDEditing wrote on 10/18/2011, 1:48 PM
ReceptorDeceptor,

GPU acceleration in Vegas 10 was for render only, in 11 is for preview as well as enhanced render functions. I'm sorry you're having issues, but no-one in their right mind starts using a new software mid project so if that's what you're doing, I'd strongly suggest finishing out your current projects in 10 and then deciding if you want to use the current version of 11 for the time being.

Also, considering that they likely had to write a new render engine etc... to utilize GPU and so on, I'm honestly expecting the initial release of the software to be somewhat more problematic than in years past because they had a WHOLE long list of things change in this one, and change = problems cropping up that may not always get sussed out in testing.

You're always welcome to mention any other tools you use that help get the job done on this forum. I've never once seen Sony stop a post because it suggests a different tool for a task, so feel free to share, and feel free to use.

But honestly the upgrade cost was what, 150 at most, for GPU preview acceleration alone that's worth it to me. If you aren't making enough with Vegas to be able to afford a sub 200 upgrade in a year, then you may want to look at another line of work, because you gotta make a living man.
Vegas Filmmaker wrote on 10/18/2011, 3:54 PM
I can't even get Vegas Pro 11 to stabilize footage. I created subclips to try to stabilize, but at 99% it gives me an error message and closes.

It's ridiculous-I'm going back to Vegas 10, or even 9, which didn't give me the numerous crashes that 10 has.
Marco. wrote on 10/18/2011, 4:49 PM
If you have trimmed media in the timeline create a subclip of this event using the right-click option directly in the timeline. This will add the subclip (which only contains the trimmed portion) as take. Now add stabilization as media fx onto that subclip in the timeline.
Jim H wrote on 10/18/2011, 5:43 PM
Fuchs, I followed your approach and applied the stabilization. I note that there is no longer options to pick pan, tilt and/or roll. And when I applied the effect and lined the subclip over the original clip - I could not see any difference between the clips when I toggle mute on and off. Even at highest stabilization level. Funny thing is that I could have swore I saw the image zoom in after it finished rendering... as though it actually did something. So did the effect also change the original clip? very confused way to update a feature.... "improved" stabilization was one of the reasons I went for the upgrade... meh... confused.
Marco. wrote on 10/18/2011, 7:36 PM
There should be no need to line the subclip over the original one using the method I described above. This way the subclip is in the same event as the orginal clip - added as take. So - event selected - you only need to press "T" to toggle between the subclip (as take) and the original media. Works fine here except of a jerk sometimes in the last frames of the stabilized subclip.
JimboWHO wrote on 10/18/2011, 8:58 PM
It's a dealbreaker. Incredibly disappointing.

JJM
MTuggy wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:11 PM
It says to click "Apply" but the controls are greyed out and don't work, even on subclips. Hmmm...same in 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Stabilization is Dead on Arrival.

What was wrong with the old way?

Mike
Rv6tc wrote on 10/18/2011, 11:32 PM
MTuggy

Make sure you are applying it to the clips in the Media Bins, not on the timeline.
K Riley wrote on 10/19/2011, 6:43 AM
I agree with you Frigid, I think that 10e or whatever stable version you run is where people should stay put until major projects are finished. Install the demo 11 and get accustomed with the features by testing it in your free time. I jumped in at 8.1 64bit and was about to die with all the issues surrounding that release. 9 and 10 are stable now for the most part. I've been having good luck too with Sony Stablization in 10e. I'm using it on a number of clips and it's performing nicely. I'm liking the upgrade from 9e to 10e which I just bought last week. It does play my 60d clips better than 9e, so I'd argue that they did speed up the AVCHD real time play back in 10. I don't know how it's being done, but it is manageable now.
drewU2 wrote on 10/19/2011, 8:58 AM
Sony, basically we are begging you to:

RETURN THE STABILIZATION FEATURE TO THE RIGHT-CLICK MENU AND ADD ADD A KEYBOARD SHORTCUT.

Please Sony. I am a loyal Sony Vegas user for many years, even after purchasing Final Cut Pro X to try it out.

I use the stabilizer in VP10 constantly, and now have to go back to VP10 instead of using the upgrade to VP11 I already paid for because the stabilizer was SO CONVENIENT IN VP10.

Thanks! And please don't forget to add a keyboard shortcut for the stabilizer after re-adding it to the right-click menu on the timeline. I was never able to map the stabilizer onto the keyboard in VP10.

Basically, I never use anything but the timeline to edit, so adding stabilization to the media bins is so out of the norm!
peterB wrote on 10/19/2011, 9:27 AM
BorisFX Continuum Complete has a great stabilizer. I use it with Premiere Pro CS5.5 but I am sure BCC is compatible with Vegas. I bought Vegas solely for the improved render speed; for serious video editing I use Adobe CS5.5 with Boris Red, FEC and BCC.