Vegas 7.0e and DR60 import problem

megabit wrote on 8/23/2007, 12:27 PM
When I use the 'Import->Hard Disk Recording Unit' option, and there are several files in a specific DR60 directory (due to the disk cache being on, or filesize exceeding 4GB) - at import process Vegas will make a single clip per directory and put them all into Project Media bin for you... Which is all very nice, except that the clips are unusable! Vegas is hanging when trying to put the clips on the time line. I copied each m2t file one by one manually from the DR60 and they are all perfectly fine, so it's Vegas spoiling them for sure...

Am I the only one to have this problem? It's sooo tedious to drag&drop all m2t's manually, but it's the only way to avoid concatenation which outputs corrupted clips...

Note: the first time I noticed this behaviour after using my DR60 in cache mode for the first time, so it's possible the short files from the cache spoil the output clips; the "progressive' flag also seems to be lost in the concatenation process!

I have already emailed Sony and am waiting for the answer.

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Comments

megabit wrote on 8/29/2007, 12:31 AM
Doesn't anyone use thr DR60 drive?!!

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

megabit wrote on 9/10/2007, 5:24 AM
Just to bump it up, but also complain that the V8 doesn't help...Still getting corrupted m2t's!

Anybody?

farss wrote on 9/10/2007, 5:42 AM
Already posted a response elsewhere.
Yes, I can borrow one and no doubt repo your problem, then what?

Bob.
megabit wrote on 9/10/2007, 5:48 AM
Bob, I've been in contact with the Veags Support for over a month now. I exchanged several mails with them, and they sent me lots of rather simple advices, but NOWHERE did they admit this is a known problem...Same with the DR60 Silver Support.

Therefore I'm just trying to find confirmation from somebody who is actually using this functionality (rather than simply drag&drop), simply to be sure everything is OK with my system and / or the DR60 drive itself!

farss wrote on 9/10/2007, 6:00 AM
It in no way would surprise me that this is a real problem.
I've seen much the same problem repeatedly with Vegas trying to concantenate mpeg-2 files, it invariably gets the join mangled.

It'll be next Friday before I can hopefully get my hands back on our DR60, I'll do some testing then if it'll help. Anything specific about how you're running the drive I should emulate?

From what others have said elsewhere though it seems to be common knowledge that this is a problem, well common to the users at least.

Bob.
megabit wrote on 9/10/2007, 6:24 AM
Thanks Bob for your readiness to help (not the first time, BTW - Piotr here:)). OK, so the problem first appeared with my first wedding coverage; some 1hr5min non stop recording in 25p; in one of the DR60 folders, there are 2 x 4GB files, one of some 2GB and the small one from cache. All of them are fine when dragged and dropped, but the 12.5GB file resulting from the Vegas import merging is seen in the Project Media as 2mins only (!!!) and - when I try to put it on the timeline - it just hungs Vegas (both 7.0e and now 8.0). I'd appreciate it if you let me know if the functionality (useful BTW) is working with your drive/softwae.

farss wrote on 9/10/2007, 6:39 AM
Piotr,
WOW, fancy finding you here!

OK, so I need to be running the drive in cache mode and make a long continuous recording. Not a 5 minute exercise obviously, definately a weekend job. Can't promise anything but I'd sure like to know about this too before I shoot something so I'll certainly have a good shot at trying it, for both of us.

You know, funny thing is I've shot for this client before in SD but this time they promised me lots of light and I like the way the V1 handles highlights and bright colors, more so after seeing some of your footage and now you have me thinking I should stick to SD :(

Bob.
megabit wrote on 9/10/2007, 6:59 AM
Bob, why would this problem make you stick with SD? I mean, the files on the DR60 are perfectly usbale in HDV 25PsF, I just CAN NOT let Vegas import them, becuase if it finds something to merge, it will corrupt it (not on the DR60- it's the output m2t that is corrupted).

farss wrote on 9/10/2007, 7:15 AM
Here's my choices:
Shoot on V1P or DSR 570 (1/2" SD 16:9 camera with serious glass that sucks in light). Capturing 3 hours of DVCAM on a low paying job doesn't thrill me but having Vegas suck in the files from the DR60 sounded attractive and the V1P is cheaper for me to use.

Biggest problem with this 'concert' is it runs for 3 hours with no break, so Z1 is out unless I hook it upto my M15U or use the DR60. The 570 is SD but for SD delivery looks very nice. Too many choices, that's my problem!

Bob.