Vegas DVD Architect Memory Problem

Jep wrote on 4/28/2018, 6:44 PM

I'm on Window 10 64Bit and using Vegas DVD Architect (Build 84) to create Blu-ray discs. The media for the Blu-ray are AVC video and .ac3 audio files created in Vegas Pro 13.

Everything works fine, but if I try to add a seventh AVC file to my DVDA project, DVDA hangs and crashes. I'm pretty sure that this is due to the fact that DVDA can only utilise 2Gb Ram being a 32 bit application.

I had a similar problem with DVD Architect 6 on my previous Win 7 machine. The solution for that was to patch DVDA to make more memory available.

I tried to patch Vegas DVD Architect with the ntcore 4Gb patch tool. That didn't work - DVDA wouldn't open and I got an Application Initialization Error: -72 when trying to open the program.

This is huge problem for me. Does anybody know how I can patch Vegas DVD Architect or help with any other solution that will allow me to add more than six titles to my projects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Comments

Former user wrote on 4/28/2018, 8:32 PM

If you try a different 7th file, does it crash as well?(just trying to narrow down whether it is actually a memory problem or a file specific problem)

Jep wrote on 4/28/2018, 10:08 PM

If you try a different 7th file, does it crash as well?(just trying to narrow down whether it is actually a memory problem or a file specific problem)

Hi david,

Thanks for your response - you've already rescued me on another issue today!!

Yes it seems the 7th file is the killer even if I try a different file. And if I try loading the "7th" file into a brand new Vegas DVDA project it loads just fine, so it's not a file specific problem.

Also I've tried opening a bunch of projects created on my old system that have more than six files. None of them open on Vegas DVDA, but projects with six or less all open OK.

EricLNZ wrote on 4/29/2018, 5:50 AM

I've just tried opening a project done with DVDAS5 two years ago which contains 16 video files. It stuck at Opening -90% for about five minutes but eventually opened okay. That's with DVDA Build 84. I'm on Win10 Home Edition 64 bit.

If having more than six files was a common problem I'm sure we would have heard about it by now from others so there's something strange going on for Jep.

Jep wrote on 4/29/2018, 8:29 PM

I've just tried opening a project done with DVDAS5 two years ago which contains 16 video files. It stuck at Opening -90% for about five minutes but eventually opened okay. That's with DVDA Build 84. I'm on Win10 Home Edition 64 bit.

If having more than six files was a common problem I'm sure we would have heard about it by now from others so there's something strange going on for Jep.

Thanks for the input EricLNZ. On reading your reply I wanted to make sure that the cause wasn't the size of the files I was adding. So I created a bunch of identical small titles of just 7 seconds in length using AVC and .ac3. As you will see from the attched pics six files load fine, but add a seventh and DVDA gives "Render Failure" errors.

The only difference from before was that DVDA didn't crash completely.

The memory problem has actually been raised before for previous editions of DVDA. In this thread for example:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/any-way-to-force-dvda-to-use-more-of-my-memory--89627/#ca670443

Since making the OP I have installed DVD Architect Pro 6 on my machine. It had similar problems adding more than six files. So I tried patching it's exe file with the 4Gb Patch Tool from ntcore. Hey presto, and the problem was fixed for DVDA Pro 6.

So for the moment my problem is sorted as I can continue to work with DVDA 6. But the question still remains - why won't patching work with Vegas DVDA and are there any fixes?

EricLNZ wrote on 4/29/2018, 10:26 PM

My 16 files gave a total of 22gb for a 25gb disc.

I wonder what the "Render Failure" message actually means. What is DVDA 'rendering' when a file is added to the menu?

Jep wrote on 4/30/2018, 12:03 AM

My 16 files gave a total of 22gb for a 25gb disc.

I wonder what the "Render Failure" message actually means. What is DVDA 'rendering' when a file is added to the menu?

My 7 files were only a tiny fraction of a 25Gb disc! So it can't be anything to do with the amount of data being added to the project.

My best guess is that "Render Failure" refers to DVDA failing to render the button images, and also possibly the timeline previews which are all messed up if you double click the buttons to preview the video.

Time to contact Magix Support I guess.

maju wrote on 5/19/2018, 8:55 AM

Time to contact Magix Support I guess.

reporting a problem on the German forum - refer to this topic.
And the problem is still ...

An attempt to use 4GB Patch does not give anything - yes, it changes something - DVDA7 does not even start ... (Error code: -71)

It is a bit strange that the company responsible for the product refers to external files (from 2011) instead of improving its product. It's not better to improve the product?

I still have to use the old DVDA5 which always works well.
But there is no audio5.1 - just for audio5.1 I bought a newer version.

I am waiting impatiently for the original manufacturer's patch, and I am still stuck in the "Middle Ages" -> audio2.0.