Vegas for Linux?

HyperionZ wrote on 3/23/2024, 8:24 AM

I'm planning to move to Linux on my next build as Windows is seriously starting to tick me off with all the processes it already has and it's absolutely horrendous privacy.

Apparently Windows 12 will be absolutely filled to the brim with AI everywhere making privacy even worse and performance will just tank down even with high-end components.

I would absolutely love if you guys supported Linux for Vegas so I could actually use my computer to it's full potential.

Because this is just ridiculous:

Yes I have stuff opened, but even when I close everything. OVER 150 PROCESSES STILL STAY OPENED MEANWHILE IT OCCUPIES 8GBs OF RAM!

I don't really have a problem with 8GB of RAM being used regularly by Windows since I have 128 but this is absolutely unacceptable for an OS to run on as Vegas could easily use that RAM for it's own purpose.

πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί πŸ‡΅πŸ‡Ή

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈΒ πŸ‡§πŸ‡·Β πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Έ πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄ πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅

Happy to chat or try to help

Not great at Language Arts (Writing/Speaking)

Excels at certain areas in this Universe.

Β 

PC Specifications:

- CPU: I9-13900K [5.8 GHz] {Overclocked to 6GHz}

- CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 ARGB AIO

- RAM: 128GB {4x32} 5600MHz DDR5 [Team T-Force Delta]

- SSD: Western Digital 256GB [1,7GB/S Read Speed | 400MB/S Write Speed] {WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW 256G 1006}

- NVMe:

1. Inland Performance 1TB [5GB/S Read Speed | 4,3GB/S Write Speed] {1800TBW | 3D TLC NAND Flash | PCIe Gen 4 x 4}
  2. WD_BLACK SN850X 4TB [7,3GB/S Read Speed | 6,6GB/S Write Speed] {2400TBW | BiCS5 TLC | PCIe Gen 4 x 4}

- HDD:

1. Western Digital 1TB [150MB/S R/W Speed] {WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0}
  2. Seagate Expansion+ 1TB [80MB/S R/W Speed] {SCSI}
  3. Western Digital 8TB [200MB/S R/W Speed] {25FB}
  4. Western Digital 14TB [200MB/S R/W Speed] {264D}

- GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Eagle {Overclocked}

- Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E LGA 1700 ATX

- PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 3/23/2024, 8:44 AM

Vegas Pro is not available for Apple Mac despite many requests over the years. There's no reason to expect that that will be any different for Linux compatibility. Vegas Pro is a Windows based program and, unless there is a third party - maybe you perhaps - willing to fund a rebuild of Vegas Pro's code for Linux compatibility, it's unlikely to happen. Should you move to Linux, you'll probably have to find a new NLE if Vegas Pro doesn't work in Linux.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

VEGASDerek wrote on 3/23/2024, 9:41 AM

At the moment, no plans are in the works to "port" VEGAS over to Linux. As was stated, VEGAS is a Windows based application and heavily reliant on the Windows API.

A port over to a new OS would require an almost complete rewrite of the entire codebase, though I am happy to say we have made some progress in modularizing some parts of VEGAS...so if the time came to actually do this, we might only need to rewrite 80% of it.

A lesson about this...back in 2011 or 2012, we released a Mac version of Sound Forge. The main SF code, at the time, was tightly coupled to the VEGAS code so it was heavily tied to Windows. The only way the Mac version was able to be done was a complete rewrite from the ground up. Even though we were able to release it, the SF Mac was not even close to fully featured, and the effort resulted in stalling development of the successful Windows based version of SF (and ending development of Acid). In the end, SF Mac did not generate enough revenue to cover the extensive engineering cost of the development effort. This began a slow downward spiral at SCS. Once SF Mac was released, even though it wasn't hugely successful, the drive to create a Mac version of Vegas began. It took a while to get started on it, but this eventually became the Catalyst project.

In the end, the effort bankrupted SCS and they sold their mothballed properties, Vegas, SF and Acid (that were still generating a small amount of revenue), to Magix.

I stated this in the past, I would never completely shut the door on the idea of porting VEGAS to another OS like Linux or Mac, but if it were to occur, it would be many years from now and would take at a long time to complete. I would estimate about 3 years of effort for our entire team to complete this...and that would mean a complete stop of development to the Windows version of Vegas in the meantime. And considering the need for revenue right now, halting development on Magix's best selling product would probably be a bad idea.

The best hope for something like this to happen would be a huge injection of investment revenue to the engineering team.

MMiles wrote on 3/23/2024, 1:02 PM

@HyperionZ

Have you considered Kdenlive, Shotcut or the Linux version of DaVinci Resolve?

Kdenlive has a lot of features but can be moderately steep learning. But the layout and use reminds me of Premier. It just has a different approach to editing than Vegas. It is updated frequently and available as a flatpack. Documentation is good. You can install it via most software managers. Works with older CPUs (i5 series), 8 GB or more RAM, SSD based systems (better specs will produce better results faster). Free or donate.

Like Kdenlive, DaVinci Resolve is very familiar to Premier users. But, layout is restrictive and codec support is weak in my opinion. Documentation very good and great support from the user forum. Two versions exist: A free version just called DaVinci Resolve and a paid version called DaVinci Resolve Studio. The Studio version opens more advanced features, additional codecs, and phone support (for some Linux distributions).

Finally there is Shotcut for Linux. Not as advanced as Kdenlive live, but probably easier to use. Less documentation. Personally, I didn't like it.

juafromspace wrote on 3/23/2024, 1:08 PM

There would also be a middle way: making Vegas work well via WINE, a Linux compatibility layer for running Windows programs. The project has been in development for over 30 years and it is remarkable what they have achieved - many programs and games run very well with it, including pieces of big complex software. Recently I was quite surprised how well WINE works these days to e.g. run Windows VST-plugins on Linux (I have entirely moved my DAW PC to Linux now, thanks to that).

Of course, given the size and complexity of Vegas, it would certainly still be quite a bit of work to ensure that it works well. And I realize that this is currently not something that is feasible, especially not in the current situation. I just wanted to point out that there would be this other way, which would not require rewriting the Vegas code base, it could remain based on Windows APIs.

(Oh, and btw, +1 from me for interest in a Linux version... Vegas is one of the very few reasons why I still need Windows... Resolve is available on Linux, but I just can't get used to its workflow... I tried - but I just need Vegas!)

juafromspace wrote on 3/23/2024, 1:33 PM

p.s. thanks @VEGASDerek for the interesting bits of history. I've always wondered why SCS suddendly came out with another video editing software back then when they already had Vegas... I had no idea it had its origins as a potential cross-platform rewrite of Vegas.

MMiles wrote on 3/23/2024, 1:37 PM

@juafromspace

Agree. Compatibility would be great. I just don't think that that will work though. At least not for a complete program without a lot of fiddling around using Wine. There is a another compatibility program for Linux called Bottles. I found the concept interesting but somewhat difficult to use.

Anyway, here's a link to the various Vegas Pro versions and how well they worked in Wine based on users comments. The track record isn't that good. Note that the layout of that list is somewhat deceiving. The gray areas and the light areas can be confusing at first, so just look for the version number on the left to make sure you're looking at the right version.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3467

HyperionZ wrote on 3/23/2024, 9:22 PM

Vegas Pro is not available for Apple Mac despite many requests over the years. There's no reason to expect that that will be any different for Linux compatibility. Vegas Pro is a Windows based program and, unless there is a third party - maybe you perhaps - willing to fund a rebuild of Vegas Pro's code for Linux compatibility, it's unlikely to happen. Should you move to Linux, you'll probably have to find a new NLE if Vegas Pro doesn't work in Linux.

If I knew how to code to that point yes I would gladly bring Vegas to Linux.

πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί πŸ‡΅πŸ‡Ή

Β 

PC Specifications:

- SSD: Western Digital 256GB [1,7GB/S Read Speed | 400MB/S Write Speed] {WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW 256G 1006}

- NVMe:

1. Inland Performance 1TB [5GB/S Read Speed | 4,3GB/S Write Speed] {1800TBW | 3D TLC NAND Flash | PCIe Gen 4 x 4}
  2. WD_BLACK SN850X 4TB [7,3GB/S Read Speed | 6,6GB/S Write Speed] {2400TBW | BiCS5 TLC | PCIe Gen 4 x 4}

- HDD:

HyperionZ wrote on 3/23/2024, 9:25 PM

At the moment, no plans are in the works to "port" VEGAS over to Linux. As was stated, VEGAS is a Windows based application and heavily reliant on the Windows API.

A port over to a new OS would require an almost complete rewrite of the entire codebase, though I am happy to say we have made some progress in modularizing some parts of VEGAS...so if the time came to actually do this, we might only need to rewrite 80% of it.

A lesson about this...back in 2011 or 2012, we released a Mac version of Sound Forge. The main SF code, at the time, was tightly coupled to the VEGAS code so it was heavily tied to Windows. The only way the Mac version was able to be done was a complete rewrite from the ground up. Even though we were able to release it, the SF Mac was not even close to fully featured, and the effort resulted in stalling development of the successful Windows based version of SF (and ending development of Acid). In the end, SF Mac did not generate enough revenue to cover the extensive engineering cost of the development effort. This began a slow downward spiral at SCS. Once SF Mac was released, even though it wasn't hugely successful, the drive to create a Mac version of Vegas began. It took a while to get started on it, but this eventually became the Catalyst project.

In the end, the effort bankrupted SCS and they sold their mothballed properties, Vegas, SF and Acid (that were still generating a small amount of revenue), to Magix.

I stated this in the past, I would never completely shut the door on the idea of porting VEGAS to another OS like Linux or Mac, but if it were to occur, it would be many years from now and would take at a long time to complete. I would estimate about 3 years of effort for our entire team to complete this...and that would mean a complete stop of development to the Windows version of Vegas in the meantime. And considering the need for revenue right now, halting development on Magix's best selling product would probably be a bad idea.

The best hope for something like this to happen would be a huge injection of investment revenue to the engineering team.

Well not sure how to feel about this, either happy that you guys are trying or sad that that's unfortunate. But thanks for the input about it.

I don't see a major shift to MacOS as not many people are willing to spend $1k+ on laptops and desktops just to run a MacOS so the user-base for that specific OS is not as strong as the Linux community. I see however that Linux based Operating Systems are rising up slowly grabbing a higher share of the market each year for good reasons.

πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί πŸ‡΅πŸ‡Ή

Β 

PC Specifications:

- NVMe:

- HDD:

HyperionZ wrote on 3/23/2024, 9:28 PM

@HyperionZ

Have you considered Kdenlive, Shotcut or the Linux version of DaVinci Resolve?

Kdenlive has a lot of features but can be moderately steep learning. But the layout and use reminds me of Premier. It just has a different approach to editing than Vegas. It is updated frequently and available as a flatpack. Documentation is good. You can install it via most software managers. Works with older CPUs (i5 series), 8 GB or more RAM, SSD based systems (better specs will produce better results faster). Free or donate.

Like Kdenlive, DaVinci Resolve is very familiar to Premier users. But, layout is restrictive and codec support is weak in my opinion. Documentation very good and great support from the user forum. Two versions exist: A free version just called DaVinci Resolve and a paid version called DaVinci Resolve Studio. The Studio version opens more advanced features, additional codecs, and phone support (for some Linux distributions).

Finally there is Shotcut for Linux. Not as advanced as Kdenlive live, but probably easier to use. Less documentation. Personally, I didn't like it.

I've seen DaVinci Resolve, I've used in the past but not much so I know not that much about it, however my concern is when switching to DaVinci Resolve if the same plugins from Boris FX will work the same way as in Vegas.

Kdenlive I've heard about it and seen a bit of it but I haven't really considered it as I don't use Linux currently and I don't know how good I can edit videos in that program.

πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί πŸ‡΅πŸ‡Ή

Β 

PC Specifications:

- NVMe:

- HDD:

HyperionZ wrote on 3/23/2024, 9:29 PM

There would also be a middle way: making Vegas work well via WINE, a Linux compatibility layer for running Windows programs. The project has been in development for over 30 years and it is remarkable what they have achieved - many programs and games run very well with it, including pieces of big complex software. Recently I was quite surprised how well WINE works these days to e.g. run Windows VST-plugins on Linux (I have entirely moved my DAW PC to Linux now, thanks to that).

Of course, given the size and complexity of Vegas, it would certainly still be quite a bit of work to ensure that it works well. And I realize that this is currently not something that is feasible, especially not in the current situation. I just wanted to point out that there would be this other way, which would not require rewriting the Vegas code base, it could remain based on Windows APIs.

(Oh, and btw, +1 from me for interest in a Linux version... Vegas is one of the very few reasons why I still need Windows... Resolve is available on Linux, but I just can't get used to its workflow... I tried - but I just need Vegas!)

I've seen it in work before in a video but it seems an awful tool for Vegas since editing software are extremely complex and any little code gone wrong will lead to crashing and so on.

πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί πŸ‡΅πŸ‡Ή

Β 

PC Specifications:

- NVMe:

- HDD:

ChongYew-Lee wrote on 6/4/2024, 11:51 AM

Another vote for Vegas for Linux.

I recently built a new computer. It runs Windows 11 like crap, bluescreens and spontaneous reboots for no reasons.

Getting all sorts of mixed signals when I asked on Reddit. RAM mismatched or bad (but I did not get errors in Memtest86+). GPU bad (Good lord no I went through hell and high water to get this Yeston GPU to fit the build theme and there is no warranty because of the fact, not to mention I paid through my nose for it. Also Memtest_Vulkan gave it a clean bill of health). PSU insufficient (possible but unlikely, it's an 850w PSU).

Whatever the issue is, I wiped it clean and put Linux on it (begrudgingly because I already have many other Linux boxes).

I've never had a single crash since.

I tried putting Windows in a VM on the machine but it acts all wonky, keeps locking up in a VM! And even when it works it won't let me reuse my existing Windows key.

Here's the thing. I use Vegas quite religiously. But I now cannot run Vegas because I have no Windows PC. And with the introduction of Windows Recall, I most likely will never want another one ever.

I already tried running Vegas in Wine. It doesn't work, the installer is apparently using some undocumented calls that is tripping wine up.

I already tried Cinelerra. It was not only very difficult to use despite being older than Vegas, it lacks a lot of functionality that's found in Vegas. KDenlive has it's own issues, it can't use VAAPI to do GPU encode and is more restricted in features than Vegas. DaVinci for Linux only works with RAW footage and doesn't support my Sony camcorder. Coincidentally Blackmagic's cameras all record in RAW...

So yes, please consider porting Vegas to Linux. Or at very least make it work with Wine.