Comments

Steve Mann wrote on 5/15/2012, 3:00 PM
I have used Vegas 11 as a multi-track audio recorder many times. What problems are you seeing?
donaldh606 wrote on 5/15/2012, 3:05 PM
Hi Brian, I've been using Vegas for audio since there were seperate versions for audio and video and I've found not a day goes by that I use Vegas Pro 11 for audio that it doesn't have a problem. There are times when it's just not usable due to crashes. I'm truely disapointed in the stability of all releases of VP 11 so far.

Don
ClipMan wrote on 5/15/2012, 3:10 PM
No problems at all, Steve. I'm using Acid Pro but may run a few projects through Vegas in the future. Just wondering if current unhappiness on the video side extends to the audio features as well. Thanks for the input.

Brian
ClipMan wrote on 5/15/2012, 3:15 PM
@ ... not a day goes by that I use Vegas Pro 11 for audio that it doesn't have a problem.

Sounds like a bummer. Thanks for the input.

Brian
Steve Mann wrote on 5/15/2012, 4:59 PM
Not a day goes by that I experience no problems at all using Vegas.

The "current unhappiness" is limited to a couple of dozen posters. (After all, this is a user-to-user support forum). There's always some users who have trouble when a new version of Vegas is released. This time there's more because Sony had to rewrite previously solid code to accommodate GPU support (that users screamed for). This large a rewrite will have bugs because of the immense number of combinations of hardware and driver software. And now there's a dependence on third-party code (the GPU drivers) that Sony never had to contend with before.

Regardless, most users aren't experiencing any problems at all.

Geoff_Wood wrote on 5/15/2012, 5:04 PM
On the other hand, not a day goes by that I do have a problem with V11 (primarily for audio), at least since the last few update builds.

geoff
Laurence wrote on 5/15/2012, 5:49 PM
>the "current unhappiness" is limited to a couple of dozen posters

A couple of dozen bad apples spoils the whole bunch.

I've also had private emails from several who are also having problems but didn't want to face the wrath of the few that V11 is working well for. There are also quite a few complaints on the "What Happens in Vegas" forum at DVinfo.net. I take issue with the idea that we are an unfairly complaining minority.

Not to mention that the remaining bugs in V10 (random black frames, footage randomly being replaced, and markers not being written into XDCAM .mp4 renders) are all still present in V11.
ClipMan wrote on 5/15/2012, 5:54 PM
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll just have to update my old Vegas to the new one and find out how it plays in my box. I'm only asking because although Peter says there's a future for Acid, it may not be in a form I can/will use. Vegas has a lot of loop and pitch tools that I could live with if push came to shove. I'd prefer that over a program like Sonar or Reaper or any one of those kitchen sink audio programs they got out now. Hopefully, they'll integrate Forge and Acid into Vegas. DYN-O-MITE! Blow the competition away. Might even make video go smoother. Just foolin'.

Brian
Geoff_Wood wrote on 5/15/2012, 9:59 PM
Apart from Don, I suggest that most of those are involving video (?)

OFX and GPU processing have been suggested as weak links - neither of which are relevant to audio projects.

I don't think anybody would be imparting wrath onto those with V11 problems - it's hardly as if they are imagined problems.

geoff
Steve Mann wrote on 5/15/2012, 10:57 PM
neither of which are relevant to audio projects.
Did you know that some components of your audio are in the GPU drivers?

deusx wrote on 5/15/2012, 11:59 PM
No problems whatsoever with audio or video.

I use it mostly for audio and can lay down as many tracks as necessary without any problems. One important .thing to note is the fact that I don't use any plugins and rarely use any of the effects that came with Vegas so I obviously have much more "headroom" than people who rely on plugins. I use TC Electronics G-Force for reverbs, delays, other effects, and Drawmer compressors to control levels.

And probably just as important is that I use RME interfaces which seem to be better than most. I can set my buffers to 64 samples without getting any crackling or hiccups no matter how many tracks I add.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 5/16/2012, 2:47 AM
That doesn't imply that one's display adaptor is being used for audio, as it is in GPU asccelerated rendering !

My W7-64 PC here does not show any GPU-related entries in the Sound Video and Game Controllers section. Maybe that's why I have few problems - my Dispaly Adaptor (ATI Radeon on this PC) is not confused to the point it doesn't know it is just a Display Adaptor ! Was it installed with some sort of Gaming Accelerator function selected by any chance ?

Will check my studio (W7-64 NVida) PC tomorrow.

geoff
farss wrote on 5/16/2012, 4:03 AM
As far as I know that has zero to do with the GPU as such. It's on the graphics card to provide audio for the HDMI ports I believe.

The GPU can be used for audio processing via OpenAL.

Bob.

R0cky wrote on 5/16/2012, 8:55 AM
Other than the regular crashes most of my problems ARE with audio. I do mostly surround and have found that surround projects have problems that stereo ones do not.

rocky
donaldh606 wrote on 5/16/2012, 12:11 PM
I use primarily Waves Ver. 9 64bit plug-ins for audio and I do find that VP 11 regularly has problems when they are in use. (not saying that there's a connection) If they are disabled or removed these minor problems MOSTLY go away. I do not experience this type of behavior at all in VP 10. I've also found that disabling the GPU acceleration has helped. I use an ASUS EAH6850 with the latest drivers.

The thing that gets me most is that the problems I experience do not exist in VP 10, but once I've created in VP 11 there's no turning back if it starts crashing. So I'm stuck having to deal with it's bad behavior.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 5/16/2012, 4:49 PM
OK, mine (problem-free) are mostly stereo. May be something in that ....

geoff