Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 11/4/2015, 8:08 PM
Cool. I've talked to several gamers who use Vegas to edit videos with.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 11/4/2015, 8:16 PM
Ohhhh..... possible interesting EULA conflict here. Steam doesn't allow you to transfer any software you buy with them, period Sony EULA says you can transfer the rights for Vegas. Wonder who will win that one (hopefully Sony would & then Steam could be forced to sell "used" games).
Geoff_Wood wrote on 11/4/2015, 8:46 PM
I'm sure that as this seems to be a joint venture between the two companies that any EULA issues would be sorted out.

geoff
TheHappyFriar wrote on 11/5/2015, 5:40 AM
Steam's just the equivalent of Amazon or Walmart. If it's a joint venture then it's an exception with the service. They sell lots of other non-game programs.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 11/5/2015, 5:47 AM
For those who are not familiar with Steam, you CANNOT use the software without an Internet connection! This makes sense for gamers who play on-line games but I have had the displeasure of wanting to use XPlane Steam Edition when I didn't have an Internet connection and you can't even start it!

So don't plan on editing any videos without an Internet connection if you purchase the Steam Edition. Yes, it's targeted a gamers who record their game play. It doesn't make sense for a professional videographer.

Steam is also very intrusive. It wants to load when you PC loads and presents advertisements to buy more games when you start it up. I use it because I have games that are Steam Powered but I don't like the on-line requirements at all.

~jr
TheHappyFriar wrote on 11/5/2015, 8:22 PM
You don't NEED to use it & the internet unless the game requires the internet. You can load the platform w/o internet access & it won't sync anything (obviously).

However, I've bought several games that don't need internet access at all and have had no problems playing them w/o letting steam connect to their servers (IE have blocked via firewall).

What it does do for most things is require Steam to be running to launch the game. I haven't tried programs that I've downloaded on Steam, but any game I've bought will load up Steam even if I run the exe directly. It does have the ability to just deliver a product that can run standalone but Steam is a pretty popular DRM so I'm not sure how Sony handles this. IE You can run vegas on any computer you own as long as only one copy runs at a time, but you can only be logged in to your Steam account on one computer at a time. Kind of. They added a new "streaming" feature that lets you run the game on a computer on your LAN & have it streamed to the computer you're at. So, in theory, you can play the latest game on a 5 year old laptop if the computer doing the streaming can handle it.

I wonder if you can do that with Vegas too. That would be sooooooo cool: leave my desktop running and I could stream edit Vegas from any computer in the house.

EDIT: I thought I saw an option today that disable those pop adds about specials when you log on. I'm not a fan of Steam myself, but it's much friendlier then Adobe's system by far.

EDIT 2: if I can, I buy my games from someplace that doesn't use DRM. I like gog.com a lot.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 11/6/2015, 10:21 PM
> "You don't NEED to use it & the internet unless the game requires the internet. You can load the platform w/o internet access & it won't sync anything (obviously)."

I stand corrected. Every time I launch Movie Studio Steam Edition it prompts me to logon to Steam but I pulled out my ethernet cable and launched Movie Studio Steam Edition and it gave me an error about not being able to logon and offered me to start in off-line mode. I selected that and Movie Studio started up just fine.

So you actually can use it without an Internet connection. That's good news.

~jr