Vegas Pro 15- Stereoscopic 3D editing/3rd party User Guide?

Tonybear wrote on 4/4/2018, 7:24 PM

Hey there Vegas Pro 15 users. I'm a newbie here on using Vegas Pro. The reason I opted for it was its support of stereoscopic 3D media. I have a large archive of stereo 3D content shot with Sony 3D camcorders, that I'd like to edit them into menu-driven 3D Blu-ray DVDs. I have had previous discussions with the authors of Vegas Pro and they confirmed that their software does indeed support 3D stereoscopic video files, and the included DVD Architect authoring software could indeed create menu-driven interfaces.

I was curious if there were there any VP15 users out there who have dabbled in stereoscopic 3D editing, and with what success. Also, I'm curious if there were any late version releases of 3rd party User Manuals to VP15 by respected authors? Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Tony Gomez

Comments

Greg-Kintz wrote on 4/4/2018, 7:50 PM

Hi Tony,

Long story short: DVD Architect 6 is supposed to allow for MVC (3D bluray compliant) content along with 2D menus. And it does ... Problem is, the compatibility is not the greatest, with some players losing audio visual sync or freezing. My advice is do not use DVD-A6 with menus combined with MVC 3-D content.

Good news is DVD-A6 works fine with MVC created content with no menu. Likewise with creating a 3-D bluray directly from the Vegas Pro timeline. MVC streams made from Vegas can also be muxed with AC3 or PCM audio streams for a 3-D compliant bluray disc via 3rd party free muxing software.

If a 3-D menu is key to a 3-D presentation, Vegas can make SBS (side by side) squeezed 3D formatted video or top bottom squeezed video, which as far as DVD-A is concerned, is the same as standard 2-D. As you likely already know, almost all consumer 3-D projectors and 3-D displays can properly display 3-D from those formats, although the resolution takes a hit and is not 2-D compatible (as in- two images side by side is not something a 2-D viewer would want to watch).

Hope this helps!

Tonybear wrote on 4/4/2018, 8:17 PM

Thanks Greg-Kinz. I'm a bit confused here, as I was hoping to produce fully authored menus using the DVD Architect that's imbedded into Vegas Pro 15. Are you suggesting that this process is unreliable? The whole reason I went with Vegas Pro 15 was because of it's support for stereoscopic side by side video, which my Sony 3D camcorder produces.

Previously, I was using a consumer version video editing software, Cyberelink Director, but it doesn't produce menus of 3D SBS video. It does however create a menu-less file that be burned onto a blu-ray disk that will play in 3D through the appropriate 3D SBS setting built into my Sony 3DTV. Your clarification is appreciated.

Tony

3d87c4 wrote on 4/5/2018, 2:45 AM

I've been using Vegas to edit 3D videos for several years, and am using it for 3D 360 VR editing too, but have not done any DVD authoring.

Last changed by 3d87c4 on 4/5/2018, 2:46 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Del XPS 17 laptop

Processor    13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900H   2.60 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Touch support with 10 touch points

Edition    Windows 11 Pro
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎6/‎8/‎2023
OS build    22621.1848
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Laptop GPU
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2857
8GB memory

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/5/2018, 5:36 AM

Hey there Vegas Pro 15 users. I'm a newbie here on using Vegas Pro. The reason I opted for it was its support of stereoscopic 3D media. I have a large archive of stereo 3D content shot with Sony 3D camcorders, that I'd like to edit them into menu-driven 3D Blu-ray DVDs. I have had previous discussions with the authors of Vegas Pro and they confirmed that their software does indeed support 3D stereoscopic video files, and the included DVD Architect authoring software could indeed create menu-driven interfaces.

I was curious if there were there any VP15 users out there who have dabbled in stereoscopic 3D editing, and with what success. Also, I'm curious if there were any late version releases of 3rd party User Manuals to VP15 by respected authors? Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Tony Gomez

It is true that Vegas Supports s3D also with a 3D preview using nvidia 3D Vision. However, it works with nvidia 3D vision only if you not use Windows 10. I have to use either Win7 or Win 8.1 to be able to get a s3D preview using my system.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

Greg-Kintz wrote on 4/5/2018, 4:21 PM

Thanks Greg-Kinz. I'm a bit confused here, as I was hoping to produce fully authored menus using the DVD Architect that's imbedded into Vegas Pro 15. Are you suggesting that this process is unreliable? The whole reason I went with Vegas Pro 15 was because of it's support for stereoscopic side by side video, which my Sony 3D camcorder produces.

Previously, I was using a consumer version video editing software, Cyberelink Director, but it doesn't produce menus of 3D SBS video. It does however create a menu-less file that be burned onto a blu-ray disk that will play in 3D through the appropriate 3D SBS setting built into my Sony 3DTV. Your clarification is appreciated.

Tony

Hi Tony,

If your goal is to make SBS 3D content (side by side squeezed) with a SBS 3D menu, then Architect 6.0 will work. Making the menus are slightly tricky but do-able. Background video in the SBS format for menus can also be made in Vegas. I believe this is the method you are aiming for, based on your last post.

It is when using DVD-A with MVC 3-D encoded content with a menu (MVC encoding: two full resolution 1080p images using the baseline AVC image plus a MVC difference signal - the same format as the commercial 3D bluray standard) .. that is when compatibility issues can pop up. See previous post for using other MVC encoding options with no menu.

To be clear- DVD Architect was designed to work best with Vegas Pro but is its own entity.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/5/2018, 4:37 PM

The DVDA is able to produce MVC based Blu-Rays, that has worked fine. Menus has always been in 2D only. So it makes less sense to use sbs-half based footage because of the DVDA.

Last changed by Wolfgang S. on 4/5/2018, 4:37 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

Tonybear wrote on 4/5/2018, 8:33 PM

Thanks Wolfgang for your comments. Being a newbie to Vegas Pro 15, I don't even know HOW to get DVD Architect to start. Is there a special DVD create button from the VP15 main menu?

tony

Tonybear wrote on 4/6/2018, 10:39 AM

OK Wolfgang, thanks for your attempted clarification. I think something I said previously may have given you some misinformation. I hadn't thought out the idea that the menu itself should also be in 3D as well. Based on all my previous 2D authoring work, I should think I would be perfectly happy if any video icons shown in any created menus using DVD-Architect were just in 2D. That is provided that when the actual piece of video were selected from the 2D menu- that it would be played in 3D as desired. In that case, it would appear that DVD-A would work fine for me.

andreas-georgiou wrote on 7/19/2018, 12:01 PM

HI,

My experience to date with Pro 15,

I also have a large collection of 3D footage from Sony camcorders, the footage when imported by Play memories home is automatically converted to *.M2TS, with interleaved frames for left eye and right eye on the same video track.

As others previously stated, I found that is best to set the project properties to one of the 3D options (SBS, anaglyph, Top-Bottom aka Over Under - OU) , BEFORE placing the source media on the timeline as it treats the video track differently. (one video track with left and right eye video combined, maintaining perfect synch)

Once editing is finished, tools burn to blue ray works well, unfortunately most prosumer Sony 3D camcorders record in great HD two individual streams of 1920x1080x25i (in PAL land, I presume 30i in other regions) whilst unfortunately blue ray standard for full HD only offers 1920x1080x24p

This template (1920x1080x24p) although maintaining resolution, introduces serious stutter every second for the PAL version as it drops a frame every second. I have tried Twixtor etc. but so far have failed to find an acceptable solution in changing the frame rate from 25 to 24. If anyone knows how to render 25 or 30 fps to 24 without loss of quality or stutter in vegas pro 15 then please advise, would be great to know.

With project properties set to some 3D setting, Tools -> burn to blue ray offers 3 templates for Sony AVC/MVC renderer, 1280x720x60p, 1280x720x50p and 1920x1080x24p

For PAL regions (where I am) I use 1280x720x50p this gives acceptable results, no menus, blue ray starts playing on PS3 and other 3D capable players, tv automatically switches to 3D mode.

Unfortunately this looses resolution which is slightly noticeable but 3D makes up for it.

With Vegas Pro 15 I have some serious issues, (as my tv is passive which plays 1920 across but line interleaves the left and right eye) I have been trying to burn a blue ray using the half Over Under (Top Bottom) as this should provide full 1920x1080 (TV combines 540 left eye+540 right eye on the same frame through polarised glasses).

I find that their seems to be a bug in Vegas pro, if project properties are set to anything other than Off, the burn blue ray selection only offers the three options listed above. Setting project properties for 3D to off, then the 2D templates are selectable, setting Sony AVC/MVC template to 3D HOU (half top bottom) and unticking as project seems to render, but when played it is just 2D and not OU.

Have wasted days trying to use MainConcept MPG2 set to HOU 1920x1080, which seems to work well but freezes at various %, this is very frustrating. Tried setting Vegas compatibility to windows 8, disable Nvidea graphics to no avail. Did not have all these issues with previous versions. System I7 quad core, 20GB memory, working drives C:1TB SSD, G:500GB SSD, Windows 10 64bit.

Planning to try to break my 1 hour projects to smaller chunks and render individually as suggested by Magix but this is unacceptable to me for what is classed as a professional editing software.

I have not tried Architect on these projects as for now just need having autopay discs and I find rendering the video and audio separately, then importing to another program and re-rendering to author a blue ray seems too unintuitive, hopefully someone with Archtect 3D blue ray authoring expertise can help.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 7/20/2018, 3:27 AM

Some years ago I have described the full workflow from 50i to 24p for the s3D footage of MVC based 3D cameras like the Sony TD10 in the German Videoaktiv Digital. The idea is to deinterlace the footage to 1080 50p with interpolate frames, drop every second frame to come to 25p by rendering the full edited video to L and R to 1080 25p, reimport L and R in another project and pair the streams again, and stretch the video by the exact (!) number of frames required to come from 25,000 to 23,976 FPS.

If the video stutters then because you have not fixed the shutter during shooting to 1/50s.

For 30fps the best idea is to render directly to 23,976 FPS.

Last changed by Wolfgang S. on 7/20/2018, 3:28 AM, changed a total of 1 times.