Vegas Pro 16: Does it work better on a Ryzen or Intel CPU

ramana wrote on 9/22/2020, 6:08 PM

I am looking at two versions of the Omen 15 laptop (I need a portable unit; I know a desktop is better and cheaper): One version has a Ryzen 4800 with a 1650Ti graphics, and the other has an Intel 10750 with a RTX 2060 Graphics card. I would like the Ryzen one to work with Vegas Pro 16, since it is $200 cheaper than the Intel version. Which version of this laptop would be better for using Vegas Pro, and if the intel version is better, is it worth the extra $200? (

note: this is a bad time to buy a laptop, i know, with all of the new intel and ryzen chips coming out, but my only laptop died, and need something right away)

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 9/22/2020, 6:16 PM

Intel's chip is going to come with quicksync, which can work alongside that RTX 2060 to offer additional decoding support, it likely would win the performance battle.

cyro wrote on 9/22/2020, 6:40 PM

If you are primarily concerned about rendering speed: If your encoder utilizes quicksync then go with Intel, otherwise go with Ryzen. And in general go for a laptop with the most powerful GPU that you can afford.
If you are primarily concerned about editing speed and snappiness: Vegas scales really well with multiple scores so you'll see much snappier response etc. with more cores (all other things being equal), go with Ryzen.

ramana wrote on 9/22/2020, 6:56 PM

Fr0sty, will the intel processor work with a GTX 1660Ti as well? (this is a cheaper option for me as well).

ramana wrote on 9/22/2020, 7:07 PM

so you'll see much snappier response etc. with more cores (all other things being equal), go with Ryzen.

cyro: I am less concerned about rendering speeds, as my videos are all quite short. When you say "snappier," does it also mean that scrubbing will be smoother? And I do have a concern about the GTX 1660Ti card being so slow, but is all that is available with a Ryzen. Given that, in my situation, do you feel the Ryzen snappiness is worth the trade for a much slower GPU?

Former user wrote on 9/22/2020, 9:05 PM

With handbrake transcoder encoding x265, the Ryzen processor is 50% faster. if that 1650ti has NVDEC for video decoding, then it takes the place of intel quicksync, and is better. I find mobile variants of gpu confusing, none are as fast as desktop version, there there's different versions max q, super max q, then they come in different wattages.

I think (but not certain) a mobile 1650ti is a mobile 1650ti and Nvidia didn't try to confuse you about this, but with 20 series mobile it could be a lot of things. You need to look into this more. I would go with Ryzen.