Comments

vtxrocketeer wrote on 9/24/2016, 4:47 PM

I use Vegas in conjunction with Resolve for all projects.  In my case, I have 4k RAW cDNG sequences, which I don't want to edit because (1) they are huge and (2) Vegas doesn't import cDNG.  This is my workflow, therefore, and I'm covering just the major steps, assuming that you are familiar enough with Vegas and Resolve to fill in the details: import source footage into Resolve, then export each clip (as individual clips) using each clip's source filename to an HD proxy file (I use Cineform avi).  Import all proxies into Vegas and edit, e.g., cuts, dissolves.  When you're done with editing, export an XML from Vegas without the media.  All you need is the XML file.  Back in Resolve, import that XML file and be sure to uncheck the media box: this is crucial because you want Resolve to match your source clips with the edits.  The resulting timeline in Resolve should match your edits in Vegas, but now with your source footage.

While dissolves will appear in the Resolve timeline, sometimes they do not work.  This is easy to remedy by simply using Resolve's dissolve (in the Edit tab), and deleting the dissolve that was introduced from the XML file.

If nothing looks right on the Resolve timeline when you import the XML, or clips are mixed-and-matched, or you get errors upon import of the XML file, chances are very good that timecode of your source clips do not match timecode of your proxy clips.  If this is the case, you'll have to figure out why.

Once your clips are to your satisfaction on the Resolve timeline, you can grade and do anything else.  At this stage, I use the OFX version of NeatVideo, i.e., within Resolve.  It is very, very slow, but the results are stellar, even better than Resolve's native noise reduction.  

I export a master video from Resolve back to Vegas for audio work, for which Vegas is far superior.

Hope this helps.

set wrote on 9/25/2016, 8:02 PM

Thanks for the tips, vtxrocketeer.

I have done Vegas Pro > Resolve too sometimes ago. Still learning with this one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrs9tRBQ68/

On my case, I found the timeline was stacked 'upside down', Media Generators ignored (as expected - of course). What I don't understand is some audio, Resolve tagged it as red. Mono/Stereo issue? (as Resolve's audio track need to be mentioned specific, Mono only for Mono, Stereo only for Stereo. Cannot mix).

Asked this on DaVinci Resolve Users FB group:

"Trying exporting timeline from Vegas Pro to Resolve by XML. Generated Media lost, and some audio FXs were tagged red. Not sure why? Solo/Stereo issue?"

And I got this reply: "I would not try to export any audio from Sony Vegas (or any other editing program) to Resolve except a finished track. I don't know what "generated media" is, but if it's like a compound clip or a multicam clip, export it separately and bring that clip into Resolve and it'll be fine."

Also, since I'm still using AVCHD media a lot, Resolve won't read AAC-encoded audio, but able to read WAV PCM-encoded audio. So, I prepare the media before I put into Vegas Pro using WinRewrap:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4775/-winrewrap-batch-rewrap-mts-to-mp4mov-./p1

Last changed by set on 9/25/2016, 8:05 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

vtxrocketeer wrote on 9/26/2016, 12:07 AM

Mixing and editing audio in Vegas is a superlative experience.  Resolve is nowhere near Vegas in that regard.  (To be fair, Resolve's expansion to an NLE is very recent, I think, and I wouldn't consider it a DAW.  It would be like editing audio in After Effects <shudder>.)  I only touch audio in Resolve because my source clips are imported with audio tracks, which I promptly delete..  Worse, importing audio from Vegas to Resolve via XML is so clunky in my experience.  Hence, I think you received good advice.

In my workflow, I lock down a video edit, grade, and export a 4k or HD master.  Only then do I mix audio and then in Vegas only.

AlesCZ wrote on 9/26/2016, 1:09 AM

Great vtxrocketeer! Thank you very much!

Qiko wrote on 10/6/2016, 7:54 AM

Once your clips are to your satisfaction on the Resolve timeline, you can grade and do anything else.  At this stage, I use the OFX version of NeatVideo, i.e., within Resolve.  It is very, very slow, but the results are stellar, even better than Resolve's native noise reduction.  

The same OFX version works with SVP? How long it typically takes to complete? Thx

vtxrocketeer wrote on 10/6/2016, 11:00 AM

The same OFX version works with SVP? How long it typically takes to complete? Thx

I have the Vegas and OFX versions of NeatVideo (NV).  NV does appear in a list of OFX plugins within Vegas.  Upon my launch of the OFX plugin, it looks exactly like the Vegas version of the plugin, so I'm not sure if both plugins work within Vegas, or if NV smartly defaults to the Vegas-specific plugin.

As to time of completion, that depends somewhat on your computer.  My rig is pretty high-powered.  On full 4096 x 2160p source footage, NV processes at 1-2 frames per second (fps).  One 1920 x 1080, I'll see around 5 fps or so.  It is agonizingly slow, but well worth the wait.

eddy-J wrote on 2/8/2017, 3:48 PM

I export a master video from Resolve back to Vegas for audio work, for which Vegas is far superior.

Hello. This part interest me. I edited a short movie in Resolve 12.5. Now I need to give this to my sound designer who use Vegas 14 to work on the audio. Do you use the FCPXML export / import (and which version of it?) between the 2 softswares without problem? My guy seems to have hard times to retreive the original .WAV files.

Thanks.

vtxrocketeer wrote on 2/8/2017, 4:09 PM

Hello. This part interest me. I edited a short movie in Resolve 12.5. Now I need to give this to my sound designer who use Vegas 14 to work on the audio. Do you use the FCPXML export / import (and which version of it?) between the 2 softswares without problem? My guy seems to have hard times to retreive the original .WAV files.

Thanks.

I think I understand your problem, but I can't solve it. You started in Resolve and want to export video and audio, the audio portion being then edited in Vegas, right? And your audio is multitracked, right? Exporting multilayer WAV files from Resolve is a most frustrating experience. I tried it and just gave up. I think it works for only certain video codecs when exporting from Resolve (and please don't ask me why BMD did this.) I just don't do it, and I can only point you to the manual and/or BlackMagic Design's Resolve forum. I use XML files for Vegas to Resolve, not the reverse, which I think is what you're after here.

I also think you might be confused about my workflow, which is different than yours: Vegas to Resolve relies upon exporting an FCP 7 / Resolve XML file (in the File tab). By that point, because I edited in Vegas, I've already synchronized audio to edited video in Vegas. Although exporting audio to Resolve does occur via the XML file, I really don't care: in fact I delete all audio from my Resolve timeline.

In the trip back to Vegas from Resolve I export only graded video, which I then easily match to the edited video event(s) in my Vegas timeline. Audio track(s) are still in Vegas and were never touched.

If I misunderstood your question, let me know.

eddy-J wrote on 2/8/2017, 5:10 PM

Thanks man.

We will use the audio only delivery for the entire timeline in a single audio file and my guy will work on that. Maybe I take the time to put the audio on 2 tracks and alternate from one to the other, and expand all the handles. So he will have some room to work with. Have a nice day.