Vegas Pro upgrade from "used" copy of Vegas??

Tattoo wrote on 4/28/2008, 10:50 AM
I own versions 5, 7 & 8 of Vegas. I used V5 to upgrade to V7 and V7 to upgrade to V8 (direct from SCS). Two questions:

- can I sell/give my V5 license to someone for him to qualify for the upgrade price to VP8 even though I used it to upgrade to V7? Seems like I've heard of folks recommending to buy old copies of Vegas on Ebay for the same purpose, which would surely have been used in an upgrade.

- is there any downside to using this $149 upgrade deal from B&H? The specs say it has DVDA 4, but picture says DVDA 4.5 which makes more sense. Can the "upgrade" VP8 be used for future upgrades? If that doesn't work, can the V5 be re-used as the basis for future upgrades?

B&H_VP8_upgrade

thanks,
Brian

Comments

bStro wrote on 4/28/2008, 12:39 PM
1. Sony's terms allow for a license to be upgrade only once. Since you already used the "upgrade rights" for your V5, whoever you sell it to would not have the right to upgrade.

2. The upgrade B&H is selling checks the system for Vegas 6 or Vegas 7. If you intend for your friend to buy this after buying your Vegas 5, it won't do him any good.

Rob
Cliff Etzel wrote on 4/28/2008, 12:59 PM
bStro - it actually checks for a physical install??? I thought you could install an upgrade with just the serial from your original full version.

Cliff Etzel - Solo Video Journalist
bluprojekt
rs170a wrote on 4/28/2008, 1:26 PM
Sorry Cliff but the B&H version is a "'special" one :-(

Mike
nolonemo wrote on 4/28/2008, 1:35 PM
It requires a physical install (says so on the box).

My experience:
Trying to install v8 upgrade on a Vista machine without an earlier version, the install told me an earlier version was required to be installed and would not proceed.

On another machine, I had had to do a reinstall of Windows. Since I partition my HD with one partition for the OS and another partition for installed applications, after the reinstall, I had my earlier Vegas 6 install on the apps drive, but no Vegas 6 information in the registry of the new Windows reinstall. I tried installing the V8 upgrade (which had not been installed on the system) and it seemed to recognize the presence of the V6 files on the computer because a V6 dialog box popped up asking for my V6 install key. However, when I put in the V6 key, I would get an incorrect serial error message. So I reinstalled my old copy of V6, but did not activate it. This time when I tried to install V8, I got the V6 dialog asking for the serial, and this time when I entered it, it was accepted and the V8 install could proceed.

So V8 upgrade definitely wants more than just an earlier serial, or even the mere presence of the files (or install disc) of an earlier version.
Tattoo wrote on 4/28/2008, 8:40 PM
Rob-

Glad I asked! I searched all over the site for upgrade terms but came up empty. The previous "buy on Ebay & upgrade" tips I've read here must have been for unopened/unused copies.

Thanks!
Konrad wrote on 4/28/2008, 9:52 PM
It can be used just not used for an upgrade. I speak from experience having bought a used copy of V4 off eBay. I used that to upgrade to V7 and then V8.
deusx wrote on 4/28/2008, 11:27 PM
The way it used to be:

Buying a physical CD/DVD directly from Sony, you could install upgrades without a prior version present on the machine ( because they have your account and could verify upon purchase that you're entitled to buy an upgrade )

Buing from anybody else, you'd need a previous version installed before installing an upgrade.

Probably still the same way
DonLandis wrote on 4/29/2008, 12:16 AM
I don't believe the statement is true that you can only upgrade once. I've owned my last full price Vegas as Vegas V 3.0. I have been taking the advantage of the upgrade price each year. I never skip a year. In addition, the license allows us to install the full package on two computers. I have the same licensed software installed on a laptop and a desktop. Same holds for Sound Forge. Then you can install the Vegas editor on two other computers for a render only system to render farm application. Combined with being able to launch multiple copies of Vegas on the same machine, Sony Vegas is the most license friendly software I own.

One more thing, when you upgrade you can leave a copy of the older version on the computer too for what ever that's worth.
PeterWright wrote on 4/29/2008, 12:40 AM
What you describe is how it is, Don, but that is what is meant by upgrading once only.

Like you, I've upgraded from Version 3 as each new version has come out, but if I, you or anyone, having upgraded, sold their previous version, then it could not be used by the new owner to qualify for further upgrades.

The ability to have the software installed on two computers is I agree a good policy, but that is a separate issue to qualifying for upgrades
blink3times wrote on 4/29/2008, 2:19 AM
"Buying a physical CD/DVD directly from Sony, you could install upgrades without a prior version present on the machine ( because they have your account and could verify upon purchase that you're entitled to buy an upgrade )

Or downloading directly from Sony.... which is what I do and I have never been asked anything about previous versions. Even when I do a complete OS re install I am never asked for previous versions. It's all handled through my Sony account.
blink3times wrote on 4/29/2008, 2:27 AM
"Sony Vegas is the most license friendly software I own. "

Absolutely true!

I have never had any problems at all with Sony software. Even when doing things like running dual boot and having vegas on 2 different OS's.

To the other extreme.... my Adobe Audition2.... every friggin' time I even LOOK at that thing the wrong way, I have to call their automated system and start punching in serial numbers, and old serial numbers... and.... and....
bStro wrote on 4/29/2008, 8:57 AM
I don't believe the statement is true that you can only upgrade once. I've owned my last full price Vegas as Vegas V 3.0. I have been taking the advantage of the upgrade price each year.

We're referring to one upgrade per license. Each time you buy Vegas (whether as an upgrade or as a full purchase), you get a new license.

When you upgraded to V4, you used the uprgrade discount that was afforded to you for registering V3. When you upgraded to V6, you used the upgrade discount that was afforded to you for registering V5. You weren't re-using the upgrade rights from your original V3 purchase. That's the point that I and the others were making.

In addition, the license allows us to install the full package on two computers.

For the record, you're not even limited to two computers. It's as many computers as you own so long as it is only being used on one computer at any given moment. (Not that they can check, really, you're on the honor system.)

Rob
Konrad wrote on 4/29/2008, 10:59 AM
As far as upgrading with SCS it's easy to check. Just go to My Software X & C a serial number and do the first qualifying step of buying an upgrade.

That's where it gets interesting. My V4 serial number is no longer valid for an upgrade. Either because the limit is one or the person who sold it to me (who resides in Madison, WI) upgraded once and I got the second upgrade, don't know the answer. My V7 I used once for V8 but it will allow me to buy a second upgrade ( no need I won a copy at NAB.) My V8 serial is not valid for a V8 upgrade.

I don't know how this will play with the B&H boxed upgrade.
Konrad wrote on 4/29/2008, 11:13 AM
This offer may be of interest expires tomorrow call 1.800.577.6642 North America / +1.608.204.7703 to order

Upgrade for $234.95
Purchase Vegas Pro 8 before April 30, and you'll receive both the Vegas Pro Seminar Series and Digital Video & Audio Production, a $149 value, free.

Full email below:

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Sony Creative Software <news@mail.sonycreativesoftware.com> wrote:
>

> Free Seminar Series DVDs and Hands-on Guide with your Vegas Pro Purchase or Upgrade*
>
> The Vegas Pro collection combines Vegas Pro 8, DVD Architect Pro 4.5, and AC-3 encoding software to offer an integrated environment for professional video, audio, and broadcast production. Edit and process standard and high-definition video in real-time including AVCHD and XDCAM™. Fine-tune audio with precision and author surround sound, dual-layer DVDs.
>
> To help you master Vegas Pro 8 software, we're including two of our training products when you buy or upgrade before April 30, 2008. First is the Vegas Pro Seminar Series training DVDs. This unique system provides you not only with a guided and interactive tour through the new features of the program, but also with all of the content you'll need to get the most out of the experience. You'll also receive Digital Video & Audio Production — a hands on guide to creating rich multimedia with Vegas Pro software.
>
> Purchase Vegas Pro 8 before April 30, and you'll receive both the Vegas Pro Seminar Series and Digital Video & Audio Production, a $149 value, free.
>
> Purchase your copy today from $549.95
>
> Own a previous version of Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio software? Upgrades include the Seminar Series and guide too!
>
> Upgrade from a previous version of Vegas Pro from $234.95
>
> Upgrade from Vegas Movie Studio from $425.95
>
> Already own Vegas Pro 8 software?
>
> Buy the Seminar Series for $99.95!
>
>
> Purchase Vegas Pro 8
> From US $549.95
>
>
> Get The Seminar Series
> and Hands-on Guide
> free with your purchase*
>
>
>
> Upgrade from Vegas
> US $234.95
>
>
>
> Upgrade from Movie Studio
> US $425.95
>
>
>
> Get The Seminar Series
> and Hands-on Guide
> free with your upgrade*
>
>
>
>
>
> *Offers expire on April 30, 2008. Qualifying Vegas serial number required for upgrade pricing. Pricing displayed in US Dollars. Customers outside the US may be charged in local currency. Offer available only when purchasing direct from Sony Creative Software.
>
>
> You received this message because you subscribed to receive promotional information from Sony Creative Software at the email address konrad@konradhaskins.com. To unsubscribe from receiving such emails in the future, click here.
>
> To review the Sony Creative Software privacy policy click here. Not a U.S. resident? Click here to learn more about our data protection practices.
>
> Please do not reply to this email as this mailbox will not accept incoming mail. Written inquiries and requests to unsubscribe may be mailed to: Sony Creative Software; Attn: Privacy Information Management Office; 1617 Sherman Avenue; Madison, Wisconsin 53704.
>
> For technical support or product questions visit http://www.custcenter.com. For customer service and sales call 1.800.577.6642 North America / +1.608.204.7703 International.
>
> © 2008 Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved. Sony is a registered trademark of Sony Corporation and Sony Corporation of America. DVD Architect, and Vegas are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Creative Software Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.
prairiedogpics wrote on 4/29/2008, 12:35 PM
I bought the Vegas Pro 8 upgrade from Videoguys for $149.95 last week . They also threw in Spot's DVD about the new features in the upgrade (for free).

The boxed package included the serial numbers for the Vegas 8 and DVD 4.5 upgrade. I didn't use the included CDs but just downloaded the latest versions from Sony's site and installed those. No problems.

When I installed it, it did ask for my Vegas 7 (or other) serial number during the installation.

http://www.videoguys.com/vegaspro8.html
fotofreak99 wrote on 4/29/2008, 5:46 PM
I upgraded from studio to pro on Mar 31,2008 and politely asked if I could get the DVD offer. I received the offer a couple of weeks later. I was flatly refused and told I was only eligible from Apr 1. One day off. My luck. That's nice :-)

Ike