Vegas to Premiere to Vegas... back to Premiere?

rdolishny wrote on 7/1/2012, 3:08 PM
I've invested every paid gig over the past three months into learning Premiere on existing projects. Actually, my investment was a long weekend in April, since then it's been billable hours after billable hours, and profit too. It has taken me very little time to get up to speed on Premiere, actually.

As an example, I just transcribed hours of footage using the automated dialogue transcription feature (in both english and Quebecois french) and it saved me probably 8 hours on the job. Each transcription took about 3 minutes per reel, and a couple of hours of cleanup.

I had to drop back into Vegas today to clean up a project we shot a year ago and I was shocked with how cumbersome and quirky it is compared to Premiere.

The fact that Vegas only supports one timeline at a time still is a mystery, and I've submitted several feedback forms to this point. I used to do a lot of weddings, and I make extensive use of the 'set timecode at cursor to zero', and use ranges, and markers... but really my timeline is like 2 hours long with dozens of little 'ranges'. Too much overhead.

Something as simple as a right click>import menu is something I would use all day, but it's never made it into any build of Vegas.

Unsortable bins (they are sorted by date created) is a media management mystery.

Although my system is a rock-solid crash-free joy compared to plenty of people on the forums, it's just not working for me anymore.

Today was strange in that I couldn't change any settings in that sluggish new Render As panel. Every time I needed to make a change I quit then relaunched the application.

The dagger in the heart was when my copy of Veggie Tools stopped working. Now, it seems I can't launch the MultiRender app, a plugin I've been using for years. Premiere's 'add to render queue' is superior anyway.

I also just worked on a project involving XDCAM (the disc) footage. I was hired because I had the Sony Vaio laptop and Sony Vegas... but at the end of the day it was the director's son's copy of iMovie that saved the day. I could not recognize the deck or the media. He injested it all. I was the laughing stock of the set.

I've been a Vegas evangelist since version 4. Today has been nothing but frustrating, so I decided to call it quits and move on to Premiere. I'll be starting a new project next week on Premiere exclusively.

Thanks Sony for hosting this valuable forum and best of luck with future developments. Thanks also to the scores of professionals who have helped me out over the years.

Comments

JJKizak wrote on 7/1/2012, 5:18 PM
My experiences with the old Premiere were catastrophic compared to anything Vegas 11 could do.
JJK
ushere wrote on 7/1/2012, 5:52 PM
ymmv, but i've got cs6 and find ppro somewhat clunky compared to vegas, though somewhat more stable.

as for speech to text - without a script it's an absolute joke. even adobe say so.
farss wrote on 7/2/2012, 8:01 AM
I've sort of been down the same road as the OP.
Started out with Premiere a decade ago, then to V4.
TBH I found a lot about Vegas to be bewildering. I need one or more extra tracks just add some text, seriously, it's a good thing Vegas has unlimited tracks! Having got the text on the screen oh my, more fiddling around to make it move with parents and children and good thing those concepts weren't alien to me. And the Razor, what happened to such an elegant tool with Vegas???

Only yesterday an old friend of mine is supervising me editing his cousins wedding video. What a drama, he's using words like "rewind" and "cue" and "punch in" and I'm getting totally befuddled. It dawned on both of us that he was still stuck in lnear editing. All got sorted when I just said to him "tell me what you want, not how to do it". In the end we had a good laugh when he saw how easy something is to do with a NLE once you "get it".

Bob.
SWS wrote on 7/2/2012, 8:43 AM
Guess it's time to pack up my old 6 plate Magnasync/Moviola!!! ;-)

BOXX/APEXX S4
Motherboard: ASRock TAICHI
Intel Z690 Chipset Cores:16
CPU: Intel Core i9 12900KS Enhanced Performance Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB DDR5-4800 MHz (2 - 32GB DIMMS
Disks: 2.0TB SSD NVMe/PCIe 3.0/4.0 M.2 Drive
SSD: (4) 4TB
O/S: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit SP1

Julius_ wrote on 7/2/2012, 5:31 PM
Hey Rick..I'm in Montreal as well!

I'm on Vegas 10 and afraid to move any higher..lately I've been keeping the editing real simple (weddings) and not adding too much.
I've done a few projects with dsrl footage and so far Vegas has been okay (sometimes it chews up all the memory)....but I've been thinking too that I might be left behind with other editing suites take off....I have CS5.5 but so far can't find the time to learn it..I also want to get away from DVD Arch/t, but when you do something for soo long and soo fast, it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks :)

farss wrote on 7/2/2012, 5:39 PM
"it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks "

Learning new tricks keeps the dog young...of mind at least.

Bob.
VidMus wrote on 7/2/2012, 8:30 PM
If I went to Premiere right now, how much would it cost me?
videoITguy wrote on 7/2/2012, 8:56 PM
To VidMus: the question to you - how deep are your pockets and what do you want to accomplish?

CS6 -unproven -but latest out of the gate - is really a suite of bloatware - far far larger than VegasPro+Architect - and its meant to be highly dependent on itself. That means if you want it to run you stay within its confines. IT will cost you to buy the package.

What is generally not discussed, but must be thought through very carefully -this software requires far more specific hardware to actually work. Let us say you want to go top-end and have capture through Black Magic Design or Kona products - then the minefield of hardware specifics get really expensive. The point is you cannot get complicated with CS6 unless you get expensive.

If you are trying to do simple edit and delivery , Adobe is way over-kill for a designed product line and far too expensive in comparison with more reasonable prosumer NLE's.
rdolishny wrote on 7/2/2012, 10:10 PM
> as for speech to text - without a script it's an absolute joke. even adobe say so.

I didn't say it was perfect. I did say I budgeted about 8 hours (and billed 8 hours) but spent 2.5 minutes per reel (and there were three reels) and about 2 hours cleaning up the entertaining-at-times machine transcription.

rdolishny wrote on 7/2/2012, 10:11 PM
I adore DVD Architect and I'm considering sticking with that for now. I frankly don't have any need to switch to anything else. It's very accurate and easy to use.
rdolishny wrote on 7/2/2012, 10:12 PM
There were cross-grades around $600 for the CS suite. I think full retail is about $1900.

However: the subscription model is amazing and I've switched one of my clients to that. It's $39-$49/m for EVERYTHING Adobe makes.
rdolishny wrote on 7/2/2012, 10:16 PM
Adobe Creative Suite is bloatware? I disagree.

Also, Vegas is (supposed) to be better with better hardware so you can't make the exclusive argument that it's just Premiere that has the potential to cost more.

One of my projects pays for a site license of anything in a few days, so $1000 for software is a reasonable cost of doing business. If you're troubleshooting/rebooting/rendering then you're not making profit, so I can see how that might be a problem.

>The point is you cannot get complicated with CS6 unless you get expensive.

Not in my experience.