Vegas vs Cakewalk/Cubase/etc.

bcgreen wrote on 7/3/2002, 4:03 PM
So here's my question-- I bought VegasVideo for editing DV video, but I also compose/record music as well. Haven't really run Vegas through its paces as far as multitrack audio recording goes, so I'm wondering-- do I need Sonar/Cubase/whatever? Can Vegas "do it all" in terms of audio multitracking? And more importantly: will it ever support DX/VST instruments?

Thanks for any input,
Bryan

Comments

edna6284 wrote on 7/4/2002, 8:28 AM
Hi Bryan,
As for your question "do I need xxxx", it really depends on what you need. Do you use MIDI? Do you require one software to do audio/MIDI? I've got two machines, one runs Cake and one runs Vegas, so I don't need or want an all-in-one (too much CPU for my liking).

Do you need DX/VST instruments? If so, Vegas isn't for you. To respond to your last question, SF doesn't habitually talk about future releases that I'm aware of so I doubt anyone at all will know whether Vegas will go in that direction.

In short, only you know what you need. An easier question would be "I need x, y, and z: what software or soft/hardware combination will get me there?"

Cheers
D
Rockitglider wrote on 7/5/2002, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I own both Vegas 3.0 and I could'nt refuse the offer of upgrading to Sonar for $159.00, so I bought it also. I also own Fruity Loops 3.4, and am Beta testing 3.54, and I own the FXpansion VST-DX Adapter and am able to run Fruity VSTi inside of Vegas, and other VSTi's as well. So even if Sonic Foundry doesn't provide support for DXi and VSTi I think technology will soon, if not already support Soft Synths in Vegas. But overall I would say that Vegas is more geared for Video, and Sonar and Cubase are dedicated to Audio, and able to do more things in the audio area. But it depends, if you don't need anything more than multitrack recording, then Vegas will be all you need. However if you would like to take advantage of technology in the area of Soft Synths among other things, then Vegas, at least for the time being, is not the application to use.

See ya, Rockit
EArrigotti wrote on 7/5/2002, 7:25 PM
I concur with these folk and would like to add that if you are in need of integrated usage of loops (ala ACID) Vegas does not do this. I use Sonar for all of my audio purposes unless I only need a small mini-production within a video project, in which case I have actually used Vegas.

To sum it up, as others have before me, if you only need multitracking capabilities, Vegas is the way to go. You needn't spend another dime. If you require more, you may have to shop around.
waynegee wrote on 7/7/2002, 8:35 PM
well, this seems like a good time to ask: what is the major diff btw. Vegas and ProTools? I mean, I've been on quite a few seesions now where ProTools is being used and it doesn't seem to have anything on Vegas as far as functionality, editing, automation, etc. I've always thought ProTools was overrated but the more I'm exposed, my view is only confirmed. So aside from being industry standard(and the fact that SoFo dropped the pro audio ball totally), what is the deal on ProTools?
KjipRecords wrote on 7/8/2002, 8:35 AM
What can you automate in Vegas besides volum and pan?

Lars
drbam wrote on 7/8/2002, 9:47 AM
<<What can you automate in Vegas besides volum and pan?>>

Assignable efx.

drbam
Rednroll wrote on 7/8/2002, 7:21 PM
"I've always thought ProTools was overrated but the more I'm exposed, my view is only confirmed"

You are correct, ProTools is overated. Protools does have midi track support, which Vegas doesn't, and it has the ability to use effects/plugins in realtime on an input. The midi is a far cry from being a good sequencer tool. Protools, is only popular because many people keep saying that serious audio/video work can't be done on a PC. That was true 6 years ago, but not today. The one drawback of Protools is that you have to buy the Digidesign hardware to go along with the software. Most Protools owners believe this is a feature, because it makes a more stable system. Yes, they have a point, but I like to have a choice and not have to pay an arm and a leg for the digidesign hardware. My PC has 8 INS and 20 Outs and cost me $600 for the hardware. You're looking between $3500-$5000 for that same kind of horse power from Digidesign hardware. Most of my clients that have seen me use Vegas and have worked on ProTool systems in other studios are amazed at how easy Vegas is and the editing power that comes with it. So after I show them how powerful Vegas is on the audio side I say, "Oh yeah...I can edit video too." I'm a reformed Protools user and hopefully will never have to go back to using it.