VHS to PC editing

dbanimal wrote on 1/27/2011, 5:28 PM
Hi all,

I have VMS9 PPP, I just recently captured a bunch of my old VHS tapes to my PC as mpeg-2's (the best quality I could capture at) and at 720x480 resolution. Most of my videos have graininess/noise and an annoying horizontal line at the very bottom. Is there a way to filter out the noise and eliminate the line - perhaps replacing it with a black bar (approximately 8 pixels vertical from the bottom)?

My intention is to capture, edit, create movies and burn to DVD but it would be nice to make the material a little more pleasing to the eyes!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

Tollkuhnator wrote on 1/27/2011, 7:46 PM
Take a look at Neat Video. You can download a free demo version. Be sure to check out the Download and Install Tutorial. There's also an excellent discussion of this topic on the Pro forum here. (Some of the examples linked to are no longer available.)
musicvid10 wrote on 1/27/2011, 9:41 PM
You didn't tell us how you are capturing your VHS video to mpeg-2, both hard\ware and software.
dbanimal wrote on 1/28/2011, 6:51 AM
I went the cheap route but it works great!

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2USB2-Video-Capture-Cable/dp/B000O5RIWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296226109&sr=8-1

It came with software (GrabBee) for capturing but it leaves alot to be desired.
richard-amirault wrote on 1/29/2011, 4:29 PM
I went the cheap route but it works great! ..... but it leaves alot to be desired.

Those two statements don't seem to agree. I think you need to elaborate a bit more.
dbanimal wrote on 2/2/2011, 1:42 PM
LOL!

As in, the hardware portion of it works great but the included software is extremely basic and has limited capture selections. The only true benefit of the SW is that it does the job of getting the audio/video to my PC and that was what I wanted all along.