Vista & Vegas pro9.0 64 bit Crash rendering MPEG2

SEVideo wrote on 5/18/2010, 8:13 AM
I continuously get a crash, complete and immediate shut down of my computer during rendering of mpeg2 files. It usually happens between 2 and 5 minutes into the process. I am using an HP AMD 9550Quad processor with 8 gb ram 64 bit system and Windows Vista home premium. I have tried many suggestions from forums and none have been successful. My problem reports and solutions states that is is a program compatibility problem. HELP!.

Comments

John_Cline wrote on 5/18/2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, it could be a program compatibility issue but I would think the crash would occur immediately rather than a few minutes into the render.

Many times a render crash can be due to overheating of the processor. Rendering stresses the CPU much more than just editing and generates the maximum amount of heat. AMD processors are not known for their graceful handling of overheating issues. Have you blown the dust out of your computer lately? (Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out.) You might also check that the CPU cooler fan is operating.
JJKizak wrote on 5/18/2010, 12:21 PM
And sometimes with the newer el cheapo fan assemblies one side of the holder will break leaving the fan assembly heat sink just barely touching the CPU.
JJK
SEVideo wrote on 5/20/2010, 9:05 AM
Thanks, I ran a CPU temperature program while rendering and it didn't seem unusually high or spike at any time before shutdown. I'll pull the cover off and watch the fan... see if it's working properly.
SEVideo wrote on 5/20/2010, 9:06 AM
Also, I ran diagnostic and stress test of the computer and everything passed.
SEVideo wrote on 6/8/2010, 9:59 AM
Well... found out it was overheating issue... opened case and aimed auxiliary cooling fan at processor and rendered fine.. temp stayed consistent. Now on to the next step.... Vegas and DVD Architect freeze when attempting to burn DVD..... fun.
CClub wrote on 6/8/2010, 5:46 PM
" I'll pull the cover off and watch the fan."

Sounds like you have just 1. When I last upgraded my system, I had the tech put in as many as possible (I think there's 3), and then I added http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003&cm_re=cpu_fan-_-35-118-003-_-Productthis Beast[/link] that goes right over the CPU. I've never had a problem with overheating for any reasons since.
SEVideo wrote on 6/9/2010, 8:15 AM
..Ok... good point.... I have 3 cooling fans, need to get a "beast" of an additional fan to solve the overheating problem (rather than just leave the side off with a fan aimed at it) but at least I know what the problem is. :)