VMS Platinum 8.0d suddenly does not see avi file

Kalvos wrote on 8/2/2008, 7:55 PM
Hi all,

FIrst post in quite a while. VMS Platinum 8.0d, Windows XP SP2.

Today I tried to open a recent project built with avi files, and received the message "Warning: An error occurred while opening one or more files. The file is an unsupported format."

These are plain old .avi files from my Canon Optura that I've used many times before, and this is the same VMS 8.0d that I've been using.

I created a new file, captured the avi files (with VMS) and tried to place the files in the media pane -- and .avi was not one of the file options. The files play in Windows Media Player, and they don't appear to be anything special (DV).

I have "Use Microsoft DV codecs" checked under options (I tried both ways).

I did a repair install of Vegas. Still no change. .avi is simply not on the VMS file list.

Any idea what has happened and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis

Vegas Pro Version 21.0 Build 108
Windows Pro 10.0 20H2 build 19042.1110
AMD Radeon R9 280

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

maltedmedia.com/bathory

Comments

mike_in_ky wrote on 8/2/2008, 8:39 PM
Did you install anything (video-related application, codec, etc.) between the time that it worked and then didn't work?
Kalvos wrote on 8/2/2008, 8:47 PM
It's hard to tell. There were updates to the FLV player, updates to SUPER, the latest ImgBurn, and of course the latest adware/spyware, etc. But these programs were previously installed and only updates.

Right now I'm totally uninstalling VMS and will report back if that fixes it (the repair installation did not).

Thanks!

Dennis

Dennis

AMD Radeon R9 280

maltedmedia.com/bathory

Kalvos wrote on 8/2/2008, 9:02 PM
The first uninstall locked up (CPU sitting at 97%). I finally terminated it and re-ran it, and VMS uninstalled successfully.

I reinstalled it (hey, ya think it would remember my existing authorization on the same machine!) and it came back fully functional again. Also the AVI "make movie" options also reappeared.

Although WMP had no trouble with AVI, somehow the AVI codecs disappeared from view to VMS.

Thanks for getting back to me -- I probably should have tried this first, but maybe it will be useful to someone else.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Dennis

AMD Radeon R9 280

maltedmedia.com/bathory

fishbelt wrote on 8/3/2008, 7:12 AM
Not sure if this applies to you but I installed nero 8 and now vagas plat. will not see AVI files... I have to click on the file and open with Vegas. It's a real pain.
Kalvos wrote on 8/3/2008, 7:38 AM
No Nero here. I use ImgBurn, CDRWin and ULead for these task sets. ( I don't use DVD Architect because the last version I used -- maybe 4.5? spring of 2007 -- created consistent audio glitches -- small ones, but for my audio work, unacceptable.)

My only suspicion is SUPER, which is a file transcoding program (works great, too). It has fussy updates, and one of its modules always gets reported as spyware. Since I auto-delete spyware, chances are it took some codec link with it too. We'll see if that happens on the next SUPER update.

Dennis

Dennis

AMD Radeon R9 280

maltedmedia.com/bathory

mike_in_ky wrote on 8/3/2008, 10:30 AM
fishbelt

I have Nero 7 Ultra (7.10) and am not having the problems you describe. My Nero was already installed when I installed VMS 9.0 Trial version. Try uninstalling VMS and then reinstalling, perhaps it'll clear things up.
fishbelt wrote on 8/3/2008, 10:40 PM
Sure will try and re-install v8p. I have nero 8 ultra and installed it after Vages. That's the only thing I can figure because right after Vegas would not see AVI files or VTS file either. Had been using nero to convert to mpg2 so vegas would se it. So i'll give it a try.. thanks
Byron K wrote on 8/4/2008, 11:15 AM
I had a similar problem after I installed Media Player Classic. VMS Platinum could not see or play back any of my AVI files. Uninstalling Media Player and re-installing VMS Platinum did not restore the playback of the AVI clips.

To save time I had to reload a previous image of my OS with VMS Platinum and all was good.

Does anyone know if VMS uses it's own codecs for playback or uses codecs in windows media players? I always thought the Sony had their own codecs but maybe not.
mike_in_ky wrote on 8/4/2008, 1:49 PM
Kalvos and tranceracer...

I'm not sure whether or not this will shed any light on the issue...

Back in mid-July, I was having a codec problem with VMS soon after I recovered from a dead hard drive. On July 17, I posted a topic titled "MPEG-4 Codec Help" that is listed in this "Vegas Movie Studio" forum (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=604472&Replies=4). Check it out. Eugenia came to my rescue. I think your issue is a codec problem, maybe her solution will help you, too.
fishbelt wrote on 8/9/2008, 5:05 PM
Well I did as suggested reinstall vegas platinum 8 and now see avi. files but it still dose not see VTS files. anyone know anything about this?