VOB Import

Derm wrote on 2/17/2010, 4:59 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to import VOB files into V9c on using XP SP3 in the 32 bit version. What happens is that I only get a small amount of the file showing up on the timeline. If I drag the end of the file it begins to repeat,naturally, however I can see the missing video in the timeline thumbnails but still only the origianl portion plays back.
Any suggestions?

Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 2/17/2010, 5:21 AM
did you try renaming it to .mp2? That normally works for me.
Derm wrote on 2/17/2010, 5:33 AM
No, will give that a try when I get home,thanks.
UlfLaursen wrote on 2/17/2010, 7:18 AM
Should work, I have done it too some times with great result.

/Ulf
musicvid10 wrote on 2/17/2010, 8:27 AM
If renaming to .mpg (or .mp2) doesn't work, download the trial version of VideoReDo Plus, and run them through Quickstream Fix.

Assuming your VOBs are not copyright encrypted, this should get you going.
Laurence wrote on 2/17/2010, 8:44 AM
If there's just one VOB you can rename it. If there's more than one, the problem is that only the first one has the correct header info embedded in it. I get around this by making editing the VOBs together into a single mpeg2 clip using Mpeg Wizard from womble.com. If it's encrypted, AnyDVD from slysoft.com disables the encrypting.
PeterDuke wrote on 2/17/2010, 4:28 PM
You can concatenate the VOB files into an MPG file using the DOS command COPY:

COPY /B VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01 _3.VOB+VTS_01_4.VOB video.mpg

Note the /B for binary file and the + between each file being concatenated. video.mpg is the concatenated output file.

VOB files are just an MPG file chopped at 2 GB boundaries to comply with the ISO file spec. limit.

In my example there is only one MPG file identified by the VTS_01 prefix. VTS_02 would indicate the second MPG file.

VTS_01_0.VOB is just the menu portion.
Rob Franks wrote on 2/17/2010, 5:14 PM
"VOB files are just an MPG file chopped at 2 GB boundaries to comply with the ISO file spec."

This is not really true.
A vob of course is mpeg based but it does not have to be a single video file.... or even a single audio file for that matter.

A vob may contain several video files (different angles) and several audio tracks (different languages). It can also contain single or multiple subtitle tracks.

Vegas can import SIMPLE vob files with single audio/video files but can not import the more complex ones. For this you will have to use a demuxer such as TSmuxer or similar to separate all the different tracks and files.

Then remux ( I like to remux over to M2TS... it seems to import easier.... for me anyway)
Derm wrote on 2/18/2010, 4:56 AM
Renaming the file with the extensions .mp2 and .mpeg didnt work so I tried MusicVid's suggestion of Video ReDo Plus and Quickstream Fix.This did the job. Thanks for all the information and I'll keep the various links in mind for future conversions.
The video was not encrypted.
musicvid10 wrote on 2/18/2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for getting back to the rest of us with your result. That is getting to be a rarity here.
Whether it is my solution that worked, or someone else's, we do aim to please!