VP 12 "Project Media" problem

nedski wrote on 11/9/2012, 2:08 PM
I'm having an extremely annoying problem with the Project Media window in VP12.When the Project Media window is visible (tab selected or not) it will take over two minutes to load some projects. It will start loading the project and "hang" at the 35% mark for a minute or two before completing the project opening. If the Project Media window is not visible it will take only ten seconds or so to open the project!

I opened a VP11 project in VP11 and it only took about ten seconds to finish opening, whether the Project Media window was visible or not. When I opened this VP11 project in VP12 it would take about ten seconds to open if the Project Media window was not visible and would hang at about 37% and VP12 would go into "Not Responding" mode if the Project Media window was visible!.

Also, if the Project Media window is visible, closing a project will take several minutes as well.

Has anyone noticed this anomaly in VP12?

I'm gathering stats to send to Sony tech support.

Comments

jerald wrote on 11/9/2012, 2:12 PM
Just a guess:

Do you have any external drives that power down during periods of non-use? If so, that may be the culprit. Sometimes my Windows 7 Explorer will 'pause' while external hard drives are returning to ready mode after sleeping.

again, just a guess, due to possible use of Windows Explorer components in VP12.

If so, I don't know how to fix it, other than preventing external drives from sleeping.
nedski wrote on 11/9/2012, 3:18 PM
Jerald, nope, no external drives. I have three internal drives. The OS and Vegas program is on the boot drive. The Vegas project files and the video files are on two separate drives.

Check my system specs, I'm using Vista 64. All of the latest MS patches are installed. Video card Nvidia 9600 GT has the latest driver as well.

As I mentioned this problem does not exist in VP11.

The Project Media window is really an essential tool. :-(
videoITguy wrote on 11/9/2012, 5:47 PM
When moving project opens from Vp11Pro to Vp12Pro - before you start Vegas - do this operation in OS explorer first - be sure you delete all companion files - the *sfk and similar - they are what control the function of view of the project media window.
nedski wrote on 11/9/2012, 8:10 PM
VideoTguy, tried it, no improvement. Thanks.

The Project Media window is doing bad things. So far it's repeatable.

NOTE: This problem does not seem to affect the opening small Vegas projects!
The "large" projects I'm having the problem with have have about 200 - 250 items in the Project Media window. I guess I'll try to find if there is a tipping point with the number of files in a project.