Comments

JJKizak wrote on 12/21/2011, 2:24 PM
Well a lot of small things change. Just looked at V11 511 release notes and 43 changes were made. Didn't count the ones made in 425. Anyway with me the sound levels sometimes would not copy/paste and FX's and pan/crops. Some of my zooms had changed to rotations. Oh what the hell, I'm retired and have lots of time to fix them. This is with Vista 64 and Vegas 32 bit transfers.
JJK
JohnnyRoy wrote on 12/21/2011, 2:31 PM
Q. VP11 Nest into VP10? Possible?
A. No.

Nested projects must be able to be opened by Vegas and Vegas 10 cannot open a Vegas 11 project so you can't nest Vegas 11 projects on a Vegas 10 timeline.

~jr
Grazie wrote on 12/21/2011, 2:48 PM
But isn't the nest a proxy? An interim rendered proxy?

G
farss wrote on 12/21/2011, 3:34 PM
"But isn't the nest a proxy? An interim rendered proxy?"

Yes but the proxy is created by the parent, As the parent is 10 it cannot open the V11 project to create the proxy.

Maybe, just maybe you'd think you could create the proxy by first nesting 11 > 11 and then 11 > 10 but something tells me it will not work, worth a try I guess.

Bob.
amendegw wrote on 12/21/2011, 3:45 PM
I get the following error:

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Grazie wrote on 12/21/2011, 9:26 PM
Thanks Jerry.

Bob that was along the same line of thought I was thinking. A Proxy is a Proxy is a Proxy, it's built into the DNA of its meaning. Like a Prerender file.

Hmm....

G

farss wrote on 12/21/2011, 10:01 PM
"A Proxy is a Proxy is a Proxy, it's built into the DNA of its meaning. Like a Prerender file."

Indeed and that's another thing about Vegas that confounds me.
Being able to edit proxies with ease and then match your low resolution / quality proxies back to camera originals is just part and parcel of what is given in other systems and even between systems.

I know this is not how you're trying to work and might never need to. It's just a "feature" that can be used in many ways and even the developers might not be cogniscent of all the ways a feature can be of benefit to the users.

Bob.
Chienworks wrote on 12/21/2011, 10:16 PM
Well, two surface issues with "a proxy is ...":

1) The proxies would still have version numbers, were it true. Vegas 10 can't open a Vegas 11 proxy. *EXCEPT* ... that's just not true.

2a) The proxy is only the audio track. Generally it's a .wav file. .wav is no respecter of Vegas version numbers so any particular version of Vegas won't care what other version created it.

2v) The video portion is *NOT* a proxy, but in fact is the actual .veg file of the nested project. You can tell this is true because a nested project opens up the first time requiring only the length of time necessary to render the audio. Elsewise, a complex project might take many, many hours of rendering to produce a video proxy file before it could be nested, and this just doesn't happen. If there was a video proxy it would be similar to Vegas' "render to a new track" function.

So, hey, you could use Vegas 11 to render to a new track, keep track of where you created that new video "proxy" file, and then use that file in your Vegas 10 project. Note that of course you'd lose the ability to drop down a level and edit the nested project, since it's no longer a project but a rendered file. You'd have to go back to Vegas 11, make the changes there, and render a new proxy all over again, then go back to Vegas 10 and carry on. This also shows that in the normal nesting situation the video is not a proxy, since you can open it up and edit it.

<musing>Personally, i never really found the render to new track option that much more useful than simply doing a render of the part i wanted to a new file and inserting that new file in my project where i wanted it.</musing> So in this case that would work just as well or even better than the render to a new track option, especially if you had no real need to replace that section of your Vegas 11 project with a rendered version.
Grazie wrote on 12/21/2011, 10:47 PM
Kelso thanks.

So, only 50% of the Nest is a Proxy. Kinda clears that one up. Just remind me when I ask the same thing next year?

G