VP16 Performance

BruceUSA wrote on 3/2/2019, 5:36 PM

Just a short clip to share.

https://vimeo.com/320992389

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 3/2/2019, 6:13 PM

Cool. :)

How much of the Vega 64 FE card's 16 GB of VRAM gets used? Are there any situations where nearly the entire amount is utilized? (I am still thinking about getting a used FE or possibly a Radeon VII.)

BruceUSA wrote on 3/2/2019, 6:17 PM

Cool. :)

How much of the Vega 64 FE card's 16 GB of VRAM gets used? Are there any situations where nearly the entire amount is utilized? (I am still thinking about getting a used FE or possibly a Radeon VII.)

I never bother to look into how much VRAM actually used. I will try to run the test again and will look into that some tomorrow. I will make additional comment after that.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

Windows 11 Pro

zdogg wrote on 3/3/2019, 12:38 AM

Impressive... for sure.....

I think MAYBE (sayin MAYBE b'cz been disappointed too many times!!) that we have turned corner with this new generation of hardware and Video card acceleration; thanks for the share here, Bruce.

Exciting stuff. Love to see some more...Maybe show something with multiple tracks and layers of compositing.... that MIGHT convince me....

(I mean, hard to see what you've got going on in real time processing)

.. and while I'm IMPRESSED with the rendering, REAL TIME playback, especially under stress, (compositing) is the most critical for me and many others.

Kinvermark wrote on 3/3/2019, 9:04 AM

One additional thing I have noticed with recent builds: the thumbnail performance in explorer & project manager windows has significantly improved and stabilized. They are snappier, more persistent, and not limited in quantity as far as I can tell.

@BruceUSA So one more thing - can you comment on the speed of thumbnail creation on your system (For Vegas timeline / explorer / project manager / storyboards (including re-sizing.) Instantaneous? Thanks!

xberk wrote on 3/3/2019, 10:52 AM

I'm impressed. What is the cost of the CPU and the GPU ?

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

BruceUSA wrote on 3/3/2019, 11:22 AM

One additional thing I have noticed with recent builds: the thumbnail performance in explorer & project manager windows has significantly improved and stabilized. They are snappier, more persistent, and not limited in quantity as far as I can tell.

@BruceUSA So one more thing - can you comment on the speed of thumbnail creation on your system (For Vegas timeline / explorer / project manager / storyboards (including re-sizing.) Instantaneous? Thanks!

To be honest I don't see any lag with thumbnail. Vegas is snappy and I really enjoy editing with Vegas on this beast. I do not resize any thing. Everything is at default settings.

As for VRAM usage I see 35% for that video.

Windows 11 Pro

BruceUSA wrote on 3/3/2019, 11:24 AM

At the time I bought it, cost me $999 each. But now I am sure you can get for less.

Windows 11 Pro

BruceUSA wrote on 3/3/2019, 11:35 AM

I will also want to mention. If you build a new system with a powerful CPU/GPU. Be sure do not skim on the hard drive. Go all in with NVME.M2 SSD 3000+MBps for your OS, storage and rendering. Anything less will slow down your system and Vegas. My system get almost 2X the speed in real time in 4K with multiple Fx applied in rendering out to my NVMe M2 drive. When I try to rendering a temp project out to 7200rpm hard drive I get only real time rendering. That is a drop in 50% in rendering performance.

Windows 11 Pro

tripleflip18 wrote on 3/3/2019, 12:03 PM

BruceUSA, do you think radeon vii will perform even better then your founders edition? my radeon vega 64 is not doing as well as your card, still not playing my gopro 7 4k60p or 2.7k60p HEVC files smoothly, ... Do you know what aspect of that founders editions makes it good for vegas?

BruceUSA wrote on 3/3/2019, 2:00 PM

BruceUSA, do you think radeon vii will perform even better then your founders edition? my radeon vega 64 is not doing as well as your card, still not playing my gopro 7 4k60p or 2.7k60p HEVC files smoothly, ... Do you know what aspect of that founders editions makes it good for vegas?

Can't really comment on the newest cards that are coming out now or soon. Some times newest card not working well with Vegas as this has happened to my Frontier card as well. But when Magix released the update for it and its work wonderful. Not long ago, I have ran some tests of your video files, while its work ok but I did suggested you to transcode to get smooth editing. Same here I had a Samsung S9 phone that shoot 4K 60P hevc . I get a 40+ frames on a 4K 60P project on play back. I can do cut and edit but not smooth play back.

At the movement, I would not trade my Frontier Card for any other cards out there. I am sure that will change as card become more powerful and available to us a reasonable price.

Windows 11 Pro

rstrong wrote on 3/3/2019, 11:56 PM

So I'm thinking the 3000+mbps is the write speed ?

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

BruceUSA wrote on 3/4/2019, 7:16 AM

So I'm thinking the 3000+mbps is the write speed ?

yes any brand nvme m2 in that range. I preference is Samsung Pro.

Windows 11 Pro

rstrong wrote on 3/4/2019, 10:37 PM

(Go all in with NVME.M2 SSD 3000+MBps for your OS, storage and rendering.)

So are you saying you have 3 SSD's, one for OS, one for storage and one for rendering?

Last changed by rstrong on 3/4/2019, 10:38 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

gpasko wrote on 3/5/2019, 9:59 AM

Can't really comment on the newest cards that are coming out now or soon. Some times newest card not working well with Vegas as this has happened to my Frontier card as well. But when Magix released the update for it and its work wonderful. Not long ago, I have ran some tests of your video files, while its work ok but I did suggested you to transcode to get smooth editing. Same here I had a Samsung S9 phone that shoot 4K 60P hevc . I get a 40+ frames on a 4K 60P project on play back. I can do cut and edit but not smooth play back.

At the movement, I would not trade my Frontier Card for any other cards out there. I am sure that will change as card become more powerful and available to us a reasonable price.

Bruce, What do you typically transcode to?

BruceUSA wrote on 3/5/2019, 11:29 AM

Bruce, What do you typically transcode to?

Prores LT is my choice. Its awesome.

Windows 11 Pro

bitman wrote on 3/8/2019, 4:25 AM

I will also want to mention. If you build a new system with a powerful CPU/GPU. Be sure do not skim on the hard drive. Go all in with NVME.M2 SSD 3000+MBps for your OS, storage and rendering. Anything less will slow down your system and Vegas. My system get almost 2X the speed in real time in 4K with multiple Fx applied in rendering out to my NVMe M2 drive. When I try to rendering a temp project out to 7200rpm hard drive I get only real time rendering. That is a drop in 50% in rendering performance.

I was a bit intrigued by your 50% drop in rendering performance due to different drive use. I recall I did some experiments in the past and did not came up with any meaningful render time differences other than usual minimal spread per tryout on my system. I decided to redo a more elaborate experiment with different 4K source material (with or without elaborate plugins). I tried all sort of combinations from NVME M2 drive (input source) to NVME M2 drive (output destination) and all sorts of other combinations input and output with Hard drive(s) and NVME M2.

No difference. Then I thought, well maybe the intel Z370 chipset to CPU is the bottleneck whereby all my HD disks, USB, sound, ethernet, NVME M2 drive, etc... (connected to the Z370 chipset) have to pass the DMI 3.0 link (equivalent to 4 PCI lanes) between the CPU and the Z370 chipset. One NVME can theoretically suck all the bandwidth from 4 PCI lanes, so any combination of HD and NVME is futile anyway due to this theoretical bottle neck. So I decided to do a little extra experiment and to install some freeware RAM disk software taking 4GB of my 64GB and use the RAM disk to write the render output, hence to avoid read and write over the same DMI 3.0 link bus (memory and videocard are linked directly to CPU), and additionally benefit from a very fast write as it just goes into memory.

Still no difference, there you go.

The only explanation I have is that 4K rendering on my system with my CPU and with the help of NVENC with Vegas 16 is still slower than it can saturate any hard drive, SSD, or bus architecture.

see my system specs in the signature.

Last changed by bitman on 3/8/2019, 4:28 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

AVsupport wrote on 3/8/2019, 6:09 AM

what happens to your timeline playback speed if the preview window is 1920x1080?

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

Kinvermark wrote on 3/8/2019, 7:45 AM

@bitman Out of curiosity, what happens if you tip the cpu/storage scales by using uncompressed UHD media?

bitman wrote on 3/8/2019, 8:29 AM

@Kinvermark I do not know, I just use whatever comes out of my camera RX10, smartphone and Gopro. If I would guess, uncompressed will be easier on the CPU but more taxing on the drives & bus bandwith due to the increased amount of data, not to mention more storage space required. I suppose that if you have to transcode first to uncompressed, then it also defeats any render time gained in post by using uncompressed wouldn't it?

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

Kinvermark wrote on 3/8/2019, 8:57 AM

What I should have said was "please test this..." :)

My guess is the same as yours (that was the point) - The idea being to use an extreme test to better understand what circumstances would lead to the hard drive speed having a major impact on the render time.

I agree, transcoding to uncompressed is unlikely to be a practical workflow for very many users, but transcoding to larger - less compressed - easier on the cpu media in general is very common in professional workflows.

bitman wrote on 3/8/2019, 9:01 AM

what happens to your timeline playback speed if the preview window is 1920x1080?

@AVsupport you mean the display, not the preview, preview (left corner under preview display) seems always indicate 960x540x32, the preview display itself I can resize, and it scales accordingly, the timeline speed for 4K material depends on the setting of the preview quality. It is near frame size, depending on edit plugins etc..., some times I need to drop preview quality to "preview auto"

BruceUSA wrote on 3/8/2019, 9:36 AM

OK. I should have make more clear about the 50% drop in rendering performance in 7200rpm hard drive. I was getting 52 frames rendering to NVMe M2 SSD in .H264 AMD VCE. Then, I rendering out the same project to MagicYUV an intermediate codec for future further editing, to a 7200rpm hard drive. That where I see the rendering in real time only. Different codec/format and is not fully GPU accelerated, perform differently, hence the 50% drop in rendering performance. But I decide to re-rendering the test to the same project. I do see a performance different for sure.

Same project rendering to to .H264 > to NVMe M2 SSD get 52 frame. Rendering out the same codec .H264 to 7200rpm hard drive get 40 frames. My other system, when I rendering a project to a 7200rpm hard or a standard SSD drive I see no different .

Last changed by BruceUSA on 3/8/2019, 9:42 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Windows 11 Pro

AVsupport wrote on 3/8/2019, 4:31 PM

@AVsupport you mean the display, not the preview, preview (left corner under preview display) seems always indicate 960x540x32, ..

@bitman I was curious about timeline playback speeds where your source is 4K and your resolution in your main 'preview window' matches your target 1920x1080, but of course that can only happen if you have a 4K+ screen realestate, which you don't, I realize now after looking at your gear list, so please disregard. VP still struggles managing timeline preview buffers where the resolutions are high, leading to dropped frames where clips start, even though the system is fast enough for smooth playback for continuous clips. So its obviously a programming issue.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

james-ollick wrote on 3/9/2019, 11:02 AM

Just a short clip to share.

https://vimeo.com/320992389

How do I get the Render Progress window to display as shown in your video?

Last changed by james-ollick on 3/9/2019, 11:03 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Home built PC - Corsair case, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code motherboard, i9 9900k, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz,  Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB graphics card, Corsair 1000 watt power supply. Windows 11.

VP 21 BCC 2024 Boris FX Continuum Complete, Titler Pro v7. Various NewBlue effects.