VP18's new auto driver update downloaded the wrong version

David Johns wrote on 8/5/2020, 10:06 AM

I tried the auto driver download thingy in Vegas Pro 18; it correctly saw my driver was out of date but the one it downloaded was the desktop version not the notepad version (the latter being what NVidia themselves say to download).

What the difference is, I have no idea, but they are different files with different file names albeit of the same numeric version of the driver.

Thought I'd mention it so Magix can sort it and in case it causes any issues.

Comments

dape wrote on 8/5/2020, 11:14 AM

For me it detects a newer version of nvidia studio drivers than what geforce experience sees.. very weird.

michael-harrison wrote on 8/5/2020, 11:48 AM

What's a "notepad version?"

System 1:

Processor        Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Product        ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)        32.0 GB

Adapter Description        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

Driver Version        Studio <the latest stable>

Resolution        1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz

Video Memory 6G GDDR5

System 2:

Lenovo Yoga 720

Core i7-7700 2.8Ghz quad core, 8 logical

16G ram

Intel HD 630 gpu

Nvidia GTX 1050 gpu

frmax wrote on 8/5/2020, 12:14 PM

Me too. VP 18 update mechanism showed the correct update but  downloaded a wrong version, so I was resetted to an old Nvidia- Version. I manually downloaded the newest driver fom Nvidia site and installed.
Imho a minor bug (in some cases), no reason to worry.

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2020, 7:46 AM

@David Johns @frmax Could you give me more information? Screenshot what the driver update shows you. Thanks.

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2020, 7:48 AM

For me it detects a newer version of nvidia studio drivers than what geforce experience sees.. very weird.

​​@dape Could you show me screenshot of the driver update?

dape wrote on 8/6/2020, 8:02 AM

Hello, no, i cannot now. All seems okay after few checks and installs and reboots. I blame the Geforce Experience really.. aaaand i uninstalled it and i will count on VP18 from now on to remind me of new driver updates 😄

This little feature is pretty cool afterall - thank you Vegas guys.

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2020, 1:46 PM

Hello, no, i cannot now. All seems okay after few checks and installs and reboots. I blame the Geforce Experience really.. aaaand i uninstalled it and i will count on VP18 from now on to remind me of new driver updates 😄

This little feature is pretty cool afterall - thank you Vegas guys.

😱

Barry W. Hull wrote on 8/6/2020, 2:49 PM

Me too, installed older version.

frmax wrote on 8/6/2020, 5:18 PM

No screenshot available, because now it is the correct driver (and Vegas shows the correct driver when "check for driver updates); but I remember, that a notebookdriver was installed (I am using Desktop-Version)

JN- wrote on 8/6/2020, 6:49 PM

@VEGASPascal FWIW When I used this feature on my PC for the first time and selected SHOW, vp crashed. I ignored that and then ran the installer in the folder selected. I then discovered some hours later that I was using a 2019 driver version. When I discovered the wrong driver was in use I manually updated it to the latest correct Studio version.

Two possibilities here ... 1) due to not paying too much attention I may have simply launched an older driver that I had downloaded in 2019, thinking it was what vp had just downloaded. 2) VP did download an older driver for me to update.

Last changed by JN- on 8/6/2020, 6:51 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

---------------------------------------------

Benchmarking thread

Codec Render Quality tables

PC ... Corsair case, own build ...

CPU .. i9 9900K, iGpu UHD 630

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

Graphics card .. MSI RTX 2080 ti

Graphics driver .. latest studio

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop ... (Acer Predator G9-793-77AC)

CPU .. i7-6700HQ Skylake-H

Memory ..32 GB DDR4, was previously 16 GB

Graphics card .. Nvidia GTX 1070

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 4:06 AM

@JN- Could you make a screenshot of the current driver update? I will check this for...

Stupid question: Is it possible to update an older driver version? VEGAS would stop with the message that a newer version is still on your system.

Thanks for your feedback and support. Have fun with VP18.

JN- wrote on 8/7/2020, 6:09 AM

@VEGASPascal

"VEGAS would stop with the message that a newer version is still on your system."

If that's the case then maybe I just made a mistake as mentioned above "due to not paying too much attention I may have simply launched an older driver that I had downloaded in 2019, thinking it was what vp had just downloaded."

Remember at that stage since VP had crashed because I clicked the SHOW button, that I was now in an explorer enviornment, VP had no say in what I did. Good to know that it stops updating to an older version.

I cannot recollect exactly, but pretty sure that I didn't get similar to the screenshot above when I was first attempting to do a driver update on my PC. As I remember there were two options, I selected the SHOW button, VP crashed. I tried again ie relaunched VP, tried to update driver from within VP, selected the SHOW butto, that puts me into a Windows explorer window, but VP has again crashed. I then selected what I thought was the file downloaded by VP and installed the driver, not realising that it was outdated.

Last changed by JN- on 8/7/2020, 6:14 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Benchmarking thread

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:10 AM

@JN- This is what I see.

My driver is not the latest Studio Driver. The version 451.77 is available for the GTX 1080... after I click the download button and everything is finished I see this...

After I click "Show" the Windows Explorer opens (without VEGAS crash) and the downloaded driver is selected.

After the install of this driver... my driver update window looks like yours. Nothing to update.

David Johns wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:12 AM

@David Johns @frmax Could you give me more information? Screenshot what the driver update shows you. Thanks.

Unfortunately not as I have since manually downloaded the latest driver and installed it so Vegas now recognises the version number as the latest and says no update needed. The version numbers are the same, it's just that Vegas linked me to the desktop version not the notebook version (sorry, I wrote "notepad" earlier, meant notebook)

Regards
David

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:17 AM

@dape I believe that the Geforce Experience is only checking for the "Game Ready" version. At the moment the version of the "Studio Driver" (which is prefered for VEGAS) is higher.

JN- wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:20 AM

@VEGASPascal Aok. Why is the download button still active, not say greyed out in the second screenshot?

Benchmarking thread

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:22 AM

@VEGASPascal Aok. Why is the download button still active, not say greyed out in the second screenshot?

Good point. 😅

JN- wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:24 AM

@VEGASPascal Anyway, next time i’m due an update on the PC, i’ll pay close attention to all steps I take.

It may have been user error on my part? But the crashes were certainly real. In both cases I did send on the details to Magix as prompted.

Benchmarking thread

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:25 AM

Unfortunately not as I have since manually downloaded the latest driver and installed it so Vegas now recognises the version number as the latest and says no update needed. The version numbers are the same, it's just that Vegas linked me to the desktop version not the notebook version (sorry, I wrote "notepad" earlier, meant notebook)

Regards
David

@David Johns Could you give me a screenshot? In your signature you have a GTX1060 or a GTX1060M in your notebook?

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:26 AM

@VEGASPascal Anyway, next time i’m due an update on the PC, i’ll pay close attention to all steps I take.

It may have been user error on my part? But the crashes were certainly real. In both cases I did send on the details to Magix as prompted.

Okay... thanks for your feedback and have fun with VEGAS 18. 😀

David Johns wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:31 AM

@VEGASPascal Note it says "desktop" in the filename to download but when I manually go through the drivers on the NVidia site, the filename they say to use is "451.77-notebook-win10-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql.exe" which is presumably very slightly different?? The card is a GTX 1060.

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:51 AM

@VEGASPascal Note it says "desktop" in the filename to download but when I manually go through the drivers on the NVidia site, the filename they say to use is "451.77-notebook-win10-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql.exe" which is presumably very slightly different?? The card is a GTX 1060.

Thanks. Will be fixed in the next update.

dape wrote on 8/7/2020, 8:00 AM

@dape I believe that the Geforce Experience is only checking for the "Game Ready" version. At the moment the version of the "Studio Driver" (which is prefered for VEGAS) is higher.

Nope: i had Studio version and GE was set to Studio updates. But everything is okay now !

David Johns wrote on 8/7/2020, 2:12 PM

Thanks. Will be fixed in the next update.

Excellent. Cheers! Now if you could just turn off that wretched Support Assistant pop-up too...