VP18 Update

Steven-Sharkey wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:47 AM

Okay I was very annoyed at the 3 months of use I got out of my VP17 upgrade but I decided to try the new version. Many issues later (problems with registering the demo) I gae up on the demo and bought the upgrade on a whim (hey at least I'll get 12 months out of this upgrade!).

* Still waiting for my email about the new blue update and spectralayers (this was the reason I bit the bullet and upgraded but 2 days later and I still have no download instructions - support is proving VERY slow turn around).

* Neat and Twixtor are still there in my effects plugins BUT Mercalli has disappeared from the list in VP18. I have an outstanding issue logged with ProDad.

These issues aside...

The new tracking (whilst not, it GPU accelerated, is much better implemented). Way more intuitive. For me this makes it quite useable though the results could be a little more accurate at times and quite why it tracks wrong often on the first time of trying, particularly tracking backwards, but just retrying seems to fix this which seems bizarre. I would also like to see tracking speed improved with the GPU actually working.

I rendered the same 02:35 video in both Vegas Pro 17 & 18 and timed it over several renders today the results being:

VP17 - 00:18:37 - 00:18:55

VP18 - 00:17:03 - 00:17:35

That's a saving of between 7% & 8% of the time.

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:55 AM

I imagine it has a lot to do with the media used, as well as project settings (this is an 8 bit project), but I managed to get 2x the render speed of VEGAS 17, and also noticed 18 loads projects 32% faster than 17.

As you can see, this is a very complex 5 camera 4K project that is over 90 minutes long and has over 500GB of video on the timeline with hundreds of cuts and color effects added.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Radeon VII

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Steven-Sharkey wrote on 8/5/2020, 9:06 AM

I was surprised that the GPU didn't really break into a sweat but it was a small 1080p/60fps render (more motion graphics than video really) but every improvement helps - to e honest on such renders I usually kick it off and go make a cup of tea so both would be finished before I get back...

I haven't "risked" a bigger render yet as I am "investigating stability" which for me it has been very good - no crashes at all unlike my experience with VP17.

frmax wrote on 8/5/2020, 2:15 PM

Btw Mercalli Copy all folders of type "proDaDMercalllixxx.ofx.bundle" from Vegas17\OFX Video Plug-Ins to Vegas18\OFX Video Plug-Ins, than Mercalli is available in VP18.

Steven-Sharkey wrote on 8/5/2020, 5:02 PM

Btw Mercalli Copy all folders of type "proDaDMercalllixxx.ofx.bundle" from Vegas17\OFX Video Plug-Ins to Vegas18\OFX Video Plug-Ins, than Mercalli is available in VP18.

Yep worked that out earlier, thank you.