Comments

pwppch wrote on 4/19/2004, 2:08 PM
No. Vegas 5 does not support VST plugins natively, you will need to use a VST to DX wrapper.

Peter
Dide wrote on 4/19/2004, 2:17 PM
Will Vegas run smooth with a DSP card like the TC Powercore (In combination with a VST wrapper)? Or is this not tested yet?

Dide
kbruff wrote on 4/19/2004, 2:26 PM
Hello - I asked the TC Electronic tech support that same question, and they said it would not work.

I am looking at Cubase as a possible alternative to audio/midi/sequencer -- than to Vegas+ACID, but I am uncertain since I love the Sound Forge Stuff.

I know the PowerCore works with Wavelab and Cubase prettywell. I dont own either product, however I have access to them.

Bye,
Kevin
ZAZKUASH wrote on 4/20/2004, 2:22 AM
another choice could be 2 or 3 UAD cards(1 studio pak $900 and 1 project pak $400)and , it has DX plugins effects.
Dide wrote on 4/20/2004, 2:28 AM
Is the UAD working smooth with Vegas(5) and is the plugin format a DX one?
thomaskay wrote on 4/25/2004, 10:16 AM
"I am looking at Cubase as a possible alternative to audio/midi/sequencer -- than to Vegas+ACID, but I am uncertain since I love the Sound Forge Stuff."

Why not use both and sync the computers? That's what I'm about to do. In case you haven't read in the Nuendo forum, Steingberg is having problems with clicks and pops when crossfading audio. So editing is iffy at the moment on the SX engine. You also have problems with not being able to see the recording level on the track (during the actual process of recording) while using a mixer to monitor with. It's weird, you can see the level on the input but not the track. So you have to be looking at the input track during recording and then scroll over to see the recorded track during playback.

However, the ability to do VST instruments and the Powercore and - not to mention - no problems with the UAD card makes it a nice addition.

I'm upgrading to Vegas DVD to give me that angle. I do wish Sony would adopt VST, though.
PipelineAudio wrote on 4/25/2004, 11:22 AM
The UAD-1 card is running ok for some people. For me it can be troublesome, but seems pretty good so far in this build of v5. These arent DX plugs but VST plugs with a wrapper(according to a source I highly believe). This wrapper is provided by the manufacturer and is pretty transparent. There are still buffer issues with these cards and can make some odd problems when soloing, muting and arranging the order of plugs.

Also as has been pointed out, these plugs dont work after plugs with look ahead. That new deal with the second cheaper card is looking good
PipelineAudio wrote on 4/25/2004, 11:24 AM
The directixer wrapper is working pretty good! When Angus' wrapper doesnt work ( mono plugs like the yamaha vocal rack for example), directixer usually does. Plugin delay compensation on these wrappers can make it better than using VST natively
kbruff wrote on 4/25/2004, 11:30 AM
Well Basically - I plan on having the Sony Sonic Foundry Platform running totally up to date.

I am looking at the Cubase SX since there will be a comprehensive update available this June, which will resolve and improve upon several issues, including the noise during fading. Furtheremore the input monitor level is not a big deal for me at the moment since I am monitoring and tracking levels from the MOTU DSP mixer panel.

Also the UAD1 card runs off your PCI slot. The Powercore is hot - swapable portable VST Engine via the FIREWIRE interface. THE UAD1 has nice features, however the breadth of VST's available for the POWERCORE make it a reasonable option.

I am still gonna use Sony stuff no matter what, since I have been able to accomplish just about anything -- I need to.