Warning to anyone using ProRes with Vegas

Lyris wrote on 4/14/2014, 5:07 PM
I've just found out that a Blu-ray I'm mastering (from a ProRes file) has an audio sync delay of about 7 frames. Mercifully, this was caught before it headed to the factory.

This isn't the first time it's happened to me either, so I should have known. If you're mastering from ProRes .MOV files (and presumably other types of Quicktime input), be very wary of Vegas biting you in the behind this way. It doesn't happen with every file, but watch out.

I reported the bug to SCS last summer and was asked to provide a sample file. Unfortunately, I can't make copies of copyrighted motion picture masters and send them around, not even to Sony. As a result, the ticket was closed (and even marked "Resolved"!!!) but it's still a very real issue.

I've had to buy Adobe Premiere Pro to stand any chance of meeting the deadline on this job. I love Vegas' flexibility, but I'm feeling like I can trust it in professional usage less and less.

Sony, please look into this.

Comments

Jay M wrote on 4/14/2014, 5:31 PM
What exactly are you doing? I need to know because I'm about to make a Blu-Ray disc this week for a wedding I shot using Prores as the source.

My plan was to edit in Vegas, which I'm in the middle of now, then export Video using a Blu-Ray template in Vegas, and 5.1 using the Dolby template; then author the disc in DVD Architect.

Will this still be an issue for me?

thanks,
~Jay
Jedman wrote on 4/14/2014, 5:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
I collaborate with Mac ppl a lot.
Curious though, I haven't had this, but I mainly do shorter jobs. Or break up longer ones into scenes of about 10-15mins.
Are you talking about 1-2 hrs long in one encode?
Lyris wrote on 4/14/2014, 5:54 PM
I can't say for sure. I think it's only triggered when the Quicktime movie has several audio tracks in it - if your movie has only one stereo audio track, it seems to be spared. (Don't quote me on that though).

farss wrote on 4/14/2014, 6:35 PM
Just for the record I too have had issues with ProRes and audio with long files.
I got the master of a 90 minute movie back from the online as a ProRes file despite being very specific in wanting it as DNxHD. When rendering to SD mpeg-2 to make a DVD I found after about 60 minutes the audio want back to the beginning of the movie. Thankfully very obvious so I caught it.

Bob.
Laurence wrote on 4/14/2014, 7:35 PM
I've also experience that same exact thing with WMV files.
Lyris wrote on 4/16/2014, 6:30 AM
@Farss: I've had that one too.