Comments

larry-peter wrote on 12/13/2011, 10:02 PM
The production is really nice, regardless. On just two viewings, I would bet they did this music video style, with a few takes to cover all the angles. Definitely some of the reaction shots and cutaways are out of place. There are a few shots where you can see cameramen moving in the bg, but there's a long tracking shot of the security cop and two cuts earlier you're looking in his direction from above and no cameraman is visible preparing for the big move.
And only listening on small computer speakers, I can't be sure, but I think there's a change in acoustics between the end of the performance and the applause. The beautiful reverb on the music track and the tightness of the handclaps makes me think the performance was prerecorded. If anyone listens on good monitors it should be clear if this is true. Very nice work all around.
bdg wrote on 12/13/2011, 10:36 PM
Listening on fairly decent monitors there's no difference between the ambience before the end of the song and the applause, that I could detect - but my hearings gone belly up many moons ago, so whatever.

I could not see any mics.
Nothing on booms or stands.
Nothing hung from the ceiling.

Therefore I reckon it was recorded in a separate recording session and the vid was mimed.
NicolSD wrote on 12/13/2011, 10:39 PM
I do not believe the vid was mimed. They simply did not use the actual performance recording.
Leee wrote on 12/14/2011, 4:20 AM
I think it was done "movie style". Probably a main crew and second unit. Basically one camera, many takes, with the second unit doing pickup shots. It was definitely all planned and storyboarded out. You don't see anyone looking at the camera, so they were all basically actors/performers following a script.

And I may be wrong, but it definitely sounds like they had a soundtrack playback that they were just lipsyncing to. If you look closely you can see a few not-so-good lip syncers.

But anyhow, it was a great production. Very nicely done.

Minor Thread Stealing: It reminds me of the Pink Floyd concert video "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (still yet to be released on DVD) one of my favorite concert video productions. Friggin' perfect, you never see a single camera in the entire concert. How they did it was they filmed it over two nights with the band doing the exact same show on both nights. The first night they did all the closeups with the cameras on stage. The second night they filmed all the shots from a distance. And just edited all together into one seamless production. Highly recommended for folks who can appreciate such a great production, plus the band was great too.
amendegw wrote on 12/14/2011, 4:30 AM
Oofta! :-)

...Jerry [who's mother was born in Minnesota]

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Laurence wrote on 12/14/2011, 7:31 AM
That's a talented bunch of students for a business school!
ReneH wrote on 12/14/2011, 9:14 AM
There are many videos like that on youtube, they call it improve skits, flash mobs, etc.

Let me link some humourous ones for you guys:

Grocery store musical is my favorite:

Laurence wrote on 12/14/2011, 9:54 AM
I love lunch:

paul_w wrote on 12/14/2011, 11:23 AM
I think its one take, soundtrack is live too. But its been editied in such a way to hide the cameras floating around. But look around 3:33 and when it cuts from the 'security guard' singing to the high up wide shot, you can clearly see the steady cam operator from the previous shot in front of the singers walking through the crowd.
The audio is probably off camera somewhere being recorded live and then synced up in post (plural eyes at a guess) to the footage. Its a good edit, you hardly see the cameras at all.

Paul.
musicvid10 wrote on 12/14/2011, 12:16 PM
It's a slick bit of audio editing that was done early on in the finished piece..
They did the whole take live.
Then they did a sync recording to the raw video in a studio, probably took them a few takes to get it.
The choir was ordered in a standard BTSA configuration in the studio, and this did not vary. Not at all like the shoot.
In post, the sax was switched to the studio take at exactly :28.
The ambient was faded out around :41.
A nice touch of echo (Acoustic Mirror?) was added to preserve the "live" feeling.
Notice only a few seconds of lip movement was included in the whole video. That's a dead giveaway.
Gap at the end before the applause was too long.
Studio take is terminated at 4:26:175, and applause is initiated at 4:28.175, with precisely two seconds of dead silence in between.
;?)
paul_w wrote on 12/14/2011, 12:58 PM
Well, have to admit, just listening to my laptop speakers here so its hard to tell on the sound side.
But, you have to realise the whole crowd is in on the show and its well rehersed. And at 0:41, the 'crowd' goes quiet because they know they have to. So not sure about that abient being removed.
Sounds like too much trickery for a FlashMob video as they call them. Its not a flashmob at all, its totally rehersed and everyone knows whats coming. It even looks like a public space where people dont know each other, but of couse they do.
Ending applause delay - yes, when they put there hands down, they start to clap. Try claping with both arms up! lol.

But maybe i need to get in the studio and have a proper listen, my laptop speakers are a bit rubbish :(

Paul.
musicvid10 wrote on 12/14/2011, 1:10 PM
No, the live audio has been faded out completely and the studio track is full up well before the first vocal at 1:08. All of the music from :28 on was recorded and mixed in the studio. It's as obvious as a fly on your nose. Use your earbuds.
paul_w wrote on 12/14/2011, 1:18 PM
haha, check out the join at 0:55 - the fly on the end of my nose just said HELLO.
And yes, the gap at the end, a blatent drop in.

Yeah, got it now.

Paul.
paul_w wrote on 12/14/2011, 1:25 PM
Another observation, the 'ambient' sound has no feet shuffling or squeeks. Its just hand claps. So yep, its an overdub.
But people just watching this like i did on a laptop will probably think its real audio.
Only on closer inspection you can hear the joins and faults. Nice job though. Pretty good.

Paul