Watch out if uninstalling old versions

Chanimal wrote on 9/11/2007, 11:27 PM
In the past I always left the previous version of Vegas, etc. on the machine while I tried out the new version. This time, in preparation for installing 8.0, I uninstalled previous versions of several Sony products, including Vegas 6.0, Sound Forge 8.0 (9.0 works well now), etc.

Now, Vegas 7.0d (never went to e), which I expected to keep on the machine while starting to use 8.0, is unstable. It crashes and will not render (won't start with AVI and won't go for more than a minute with mpeg2). I can only assume that previous versions pulled out drivers, files, etc. that 7.0 was using. I always thought they were totally independant--guess not.

This is just a warning to those that may attempt something similar.

Now I will uninstall 7.0, re-install 7.0 with the latest d update and see if it is stable--before I go messsing around with 8.0.

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

Windows 11 Pro, i9 (10850k - 20 logical cores), Corsair water-cooled, MSI Gaming Plus motherboard, 64 GB Corsair RAM, 4 Samsung Pro SSD drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB), AMD video Radeo RX 580, 4 Dell HD monitors.Canon 80d DSL camera with Rhode mic, Zoom H4 mic. Vegas Pro 21 Edit (user since Vegas 2.0), Camtasia (latest), JumpBacks, etc.

Comments

Chanimal wrote on 9/12/2007, 6:18 AM
Not that easy. Uninstalled and re-installed and now 7.0 is giving me memory errors and several different kinds of crashes. Worked fine just before uninstalling Vegas 6.0.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

Windows 11 Pro, i9 (10850k - 20 logical cores), Corsair water-cooled, MSI Gaming Plus motherboard, 64 GB Corsair RAM, 4 Samsung Pro SSD drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB), AMD video Radeo RX 580, 4 Dell HD monitors.Canon 80d DSL camera with Rhode mic, Zoom H4 mic. Vegas Pro 21 Edit (user since Vegas 2.0), Camtasia (latest), JumpBacks, etc.

donp wrote on 9/12/2007, 6:51 AM
When I got V6d I tried uninstalling V5 and when I did most of all the plugins etc I had dissappeared in V6d. I posted this before but didn't get much help on keeping plugins etc from dissappering when an older version of Vegas is removed. I have V8Pro but hav not installed it yet. I have V5 and V6, not V7 (Skipped that one). I would like to remove V5 and keep V6 with all the plugs and then install V8 and eventually remove V6. What are the tricks to keep the plugins, AC3 renderer etc from dissappearing in the new version when an older version is removed? I may hang loose on installing V8Pro for a while.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 9/12/2007, 7:04 AM
if you uninstall old versions anything associated with them is removed. Your best bet is to uninstall all versions & re-install the ones you want from oldest to newest. Some things may be version specific (like plugins) so when you uninstall them you loose the plugins. that's the way it goes.