WAY OT: Skype and Video Capture Cards

plasmavideo wrote on 8/6/2009, 8:26 AM
This is really OT, but you guys can come up with the darndest things. I have a new newsroom initiated project that requires getting Skype video interviews on air.

Have any of you used a capture device other than a webcam to get video into Skype? I need to feed an output frrom an NTSC video switcher - standard def into a capture device to be used in Skype.

I'm planning on using a VGA to NTSC scan converter to get video out to a router, but it's the input video that I'm needing to figure out. If there would be a better way to get video out of Skype on the PC to the router, I'm all easrs, too.

TIA

Tom

Comments

Chienworks wrote on 8/6/2009, 2:43 PM
I've had spotty but generally good success connecting Skype, Yahoo IM, and MSN to almost anything that speaks VideoForWindows. Generally in the webcam setup screen you can pick a source and usually any active VFW stream will be listed there.
RNLVideo wrote on 8/6/2009, 7:39 PM
I've used a DSR-500 connected via firewire to feed Skype, so anything you can feed similarly should work (even if it's through a camera to perform the conversion, or a Canopus box, etc).

Rick