What audio interface are you using to record w/VP8

Hulk wrote on 1/2/2009, 9:33 AM
My recent experience with the FireStudio Tube is making me want to consider another audio interface (I'm currently using the Firepod with great success for 4 years) for monitoring flexibilty. The Firestudio Tube has a great "Fire Control" panel that makes setting up multiple monitor mixes for musicians very easy. All in software.

Unfortunately the Firestudio Tube was (is) very unstable at this point in time with VP8. I'm wondering what hardware recording interfaces people using VP8 are using and how they handle monitor mixes?

For a brief second I even considered a new software for audio work such as Cubase or something just to find something that would work NOW with the Firestudio Tube. But I really have no major gripes with VP8. I like it.

- Mark

Comments

LarryP wrote on 1/3/2009, 6:31 PM
I've been happy with the PCI based 24i/o from MOTU for almost 6 years now. It comes with a monitoring console in software which utilizes the on board DSP. There appears to now be a PCIe version available.

Larry
drbam wrote on 1/4/2009, 6:09 AM
Basically anything from Echo Audio and RME will work great with Sony apps. RME has more sophisticated routing/mixing software but will cost about 40% more for equal number of I/O. Some regard the RME converters to be a notch better than the current Echo models but I personally think the difference is quite minor at best. Most people wouldn't be able to correctly tell in a blind test.
R0cky wrote on 1/20/2009, 7:39 PM
I agree completely on Echo. I own several of their boxes. I tried Presonus and Alesis firewire products and both were worthless, completely unstable and unusable. Got an Echo Audiofire 8 and it works flawlessly. Echo wrote their own 1394 driver - the XP one has had nothing but problems all along.
RickZ wrote on 1/21/2009, 7:23 AM
I have 3 of the RME Multiface Boxes, using both PCI and CardBus interfaces. Have made very pleasing 6 channel recordings at 24/96. I continue to use Vegas 4 for live recording using notebook with Cardbus interface, after having a glitch problem with Vegas 5. But I use Vegas 8 for editing on this computer(XP/SP3).

Zero problems.

FWIW,
Rick Z
bnjenter wrote on 1/21/2009, 8:53 AM
Maybe a bit off the question but I use a Mackie Onyx 1620 mixer with the firewire interface. It works flawlessly. I recall it cost about $1000 with the firewire card, but it's some of the best money I've ever spent.

Bob
Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/21/2009, 1:17 PM
MOTU 2408/2, MOTU 24i, and Phonic Firewire mixer.

MOTU initially a bit flakey, but no problems with WDM or ASIO drivers for years now. I gather the FW things may be a bit more 'variable' , but not just with MOTU...

geoff
essami wrote on 1/27/2009, 4:16 AM
RME HDSP with a/d converters for 16 inputs and 8 outputs.

Been using this with three different Windows OS, three different PC's and ZERO problems, cant recommend RME enough.

Sami
rraud wrote on 1/27/2009, 8:01 AM
Never a problem with my Echo cards and drivers.
JeffreyPFisher wrote on 1/30/2009, 7:24 AM
Focusrite Saffire.
newhope wrote on 1/30/2009, 2:36 PM
Digidesign DIGI002R

http://www.newhope.com.auNew Hope Media[/link]
Hulk wrote on 4/10/2009, 8:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm still using the Firepod simple because it's so solid and the sound quality is quite good. I should have been more specific in saying that the problem with the Firestudio Tube what that it wouldn't work (or was very unstable) at sampling frequencies over 48kHz. It did seem okay at or below 48kHz.

To be honest most of my multitrack work is done at 44.1 because once I get a bunch of plugs on a project with a lot of tracks (say 30 or more) I'll have playback glitches, even with my Core2Duo at 3.2GHz. Of course I can increase the input buffer a bit but I generally don't like to work that way. I like instant response.

In addition I have found that recording at 88.2kHz does produce a slightly better final result. Perhaps I am imagining it but I feel as though I do hear more "air" in the recording. Of course once it's downsampled to 44.1 that's gone anyway so what's the point really.

Anyway it looks like Echo or RME is the way to go for a trouble free experience with Vegas Pro.

Thanks again.

- Mark