What, If Any, Video FX Do You Use Regularly?

karma17 wrote on 2/11/2019, 2:03 AM

Vegas has a lot of built-in vfx, but I don't find myself using many that often. I was just curious if anyone out there actually uses one or any of them with any regularity. I think that perhaps the most underrated effect is not vfx, but the Media Generator Noise Texture. Below are just three: min/max, convolution kernel, and wave. I think some could be used for transitions, but not sure about the others.

Comments

Grazie wrote on 2/11/2019, 2:42 AM

@karma17 - I have to ask, what is your motivation in asking? For me it’s like asking a fine art oil painter how often do you use Prussian Blue or Burnt Sienna? I’d use an FX when I’d need it. How often? Look, maybe I’m being a bit harsh, however I it you’re wanting an open, creative discussion about WHERE I’d use a particular Fx.

Notwithstanding your initial “enquiry”, I use a bunch of Remedial/Corrective VFXs 😏, but that’s between you and me.

bob-h wrote on 2/11/2019, 4:12 AM

anyone know of a vegas plugin that does the same as photoshop content aware Scale?

thankyou

Dexcon wrote on 2/11/2019, 4:35 AM

The VFX might be BCC Turbulence (though not a Vegas plugin)..

set wrote on 2/11/2019, 6:28 AM

Depends on the usage.... but currently I only use color correction and image enhancements...

Reyfox wrote on 2/11/2019, 10:02 AM

Same here... color corrections and image enhancements. I might use a little stabilization sometimes on hand held shots. But I use what I need when I need it.

Nice to have a lot of options available....

xberk wrote on 2/11/2019, 11:42 AM

I just finished a 6 min project without a single FX .. my previous project I used extensive chroma key, with defocus, color curves, and motion track (bezier masking). IT is true that there are many of the FX that I've NEVER used but, hey, maybe tomorrow I will find the need.

OldJack wrote on 2/11/2019, 6:15 PM

I use "levels" quite often for adjusting brightness, gamma, and Studio RGB

klt wrote on 2/12/2019, 1:11 AM

Levels, color curves all the time! Usually colormatch on multicamera (usually all cameras different models of different makers) stage shots. Gaussian blur or defocus, cookie cutter sometimes. Rarely some light effects, such as rays, or glint...

fifonik wrote on 2/12/2019, 4:45 AM

Very often: Levels/Curves, Sharpen, Mercalli stabilizr, Color correction.

Depend on footage: NeatVideo, Color Match

JackW wrote on 2/12/2019, 12:59 PM

Levels and color curves on almost every project; occasionally Secondary CC.