Comments

PDB wrote on 2/20/2003, 1:18 PM
If you are recompressing with Vegas 4, then it "should" use the Vegas codec by default, as long as you have the "ignore 3rd party codecs" and something about Micrsoft codec de-selected in prefs....

Otherwise, ain't got a clue I'm afraid!
JJKizak wrote on 2/20/2003, 1:19 PM
If your speaking of the built in sofo dv avi codec I can't help you.
Would like to know myself.

JJK
jetdv wrote on 2/20/2003, 1:39 PM
Are you trying to encode from some other program? The Vegas codec is only available in Vegas. Other programs, such as After Effects, cannot use the Vegas codec.
Cheesehole wrote on 2/20/2003, 11:07 PM
this program can tell you what codecs are installed on your system. it can also analyze video files.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
musicvid10 wrote on 2/20/2003, 11:26 PM
Software manufacturers have gotten in the habit of not registering and disguising their encoders so other programs can't use them. Their are some tricks to get certain codecs to register, but it's hit-or-miss.
wcoxe1 wrote on 2/21/2003, 1:17 PM
Thanks for the GSpot info. I'll look at it.

What I am trying to do is use the wonderful Vegas Codec to do the recompression after DynaPel's SteadyHand does its thing, rather than the DynaPel Codec.
SonyDennis wrote on 2/21/2003, 3:06 PM
The Sonic Foundry DV codec is used by default when reading & rendering to AVI / DV from within Vegas. It is not available from other applications.
///d@
bjtap wrote on 2/21/2003, 5:54 PM
Question based on SonicDennis's previous post:
I have been using Scenalyzer Live to capture my footage. Scenalyzer Live seems to do this through my Pinnacles DV500 board and uses the Pinnacles codec (so I believe). Does this mean that when I import these clips to Vegas Video (3 for now, 4 later) that Vegas rerenders all my clips to the SoFo codec? Is this basic premise even correct? If it correct I guess I should be capturing with Vegas to avoid this.?
If I choose not to have VV rerender (again assuming it does so) should I go into Preference and change VV to allow other codecs? If I do, will that speed things up and prevent the assumed rerendering?
Clear as mud?
Thanks,
Barry
wcoxe1 wrote on 2/21/2003, 6:53 PM
I assume you are talking about capturing and printing DV from and to Tape, below:

Capture has nothing to do with render, directly. No matter WHAT you use to capture, the bits arrive on your hard disk unchanged from what they were on your tape, barring some anomily.

Then, when you tell Vegas to render your DV, it will render ONLY those sections which have been changed by you, when you add FX, or color balance, and all that stuff. Unaltered stuff just flows straight into the final rendered file unchanged, ie., not recompressed or rerendered.
bjtap wrote on 2/21/2003, 8:27 PM
wcoxe1,
Once again you come through for me. I thank you for your explanation.
Barry
wcoxe1 wrote on 2/21/2003, 11:04 PM
I learned the basics from the program, the techniques here on this forum from a lot of fine people, and the rest is just trial and error. I recommend a little HELP file reading. Incredibly, I read it from front to read, page at a time. Sent in a few corrections (spelling), too.
Zendorf wrote on 2/22/2003, 1:54 AM
Yes, it would be great if the Sofo DV codec became a Direct Show codec, then it would become available in other apps! Will this ever happen SonicDennis? It is not as though I haven't asked before :=)