what is there for us laptop users?

Comments

Geoff_Wood wrote on 10/27/2007, 10:39 PM
The Helixboard directs the raw mic or line inouts, prefader, to individual tracks in Vegas. Nothing else. Once the trackis are recorded in BVegas, you do everything else in Vegas - no controls on the mixer do anything. (apart from playback level !).

There are an increasing number of mixers with similar functionality, such as Mackie Onyx, Alesis, etc, and I guess all offer a similar level of quality. But you do need to check the fine print - Behringer Xenyx does not pass every input channel to the computer, I think.

geoff
Geoff_Wood wrote on 10/27/2007, 10:42 PM
You do not *need* a control surface to operate Vegas - most users dont bother, and often a control surface with actually complicate things unnecessarily !

However I do have a Behringer BCF2000, which I use occasionally, but more often not. Mackie Control is the most completely supported, but costs much more.

geoff
pjrey wrote on 10/28/2007, 9:31 AM
thanks again Geoff...
so again, you can freely route from board to vegas... board 1 to vegas 3 for instance... board 2,3 to 1 and 2...?
the levels are just for recording, setting the levels so no clipping occure..
i wrote them the other day, phonic, asking what firewire comes with the unit.. do you know.. 6 to 6pin im guessing... or maybe no cable at all...
ill order that too...
thanks again!
p
Geoff_Wood wrote on 10/29/2007, 1:48 PM
As with ANY multichannel audio interface, you can route and input channel to any track.

The Phonic uses the large size plug on it's end. It come with a large plug-to-large-plug cable. I have mine connected to a little (4 pin ?) plug at my laptop end via in one 'off the shelf' cable.

It's all explained in the downloadable manual.

geoff
pjrey wrote on 10/29/2007, 5:52 PM
great, thanks again!
i ordered mine today.. with another mic, mic stand, and 6pin to 4pin firewire cable..
thanks!
pj
pjrey wrote on 11/3/2007, 12:34 PM
got the board yesterday.. been playing around with it...
geoff, what MS setting do you have it on on th CP for latency?
also, how do you send tones, or the effects to the FireWire? i can send it to GP 1/2 and main L/R, but how do i send it to firewire?
cant seem to figure that one out...
thank you
pj
Geoff_Wood wrote on 11/4/2007, 4:29 AM
Will check what settings, but best not fiddle unless a problem.

Not sure what you mean by send effects to the Firewire. Do you mean effects on the mixer ? If so, you can't. The mixer sends the raw pre-fader channels to the DAW, and receives the Main LR and GP1/2 .

The idea is to get the channels into the DAW, where you do all your effects. I suppose you could put a bus send onto the Aux (GP) output for external processing, feeding back into a channel, but I've never felt the desire....

geoff
pjrey wrote on 11/4/2007, 7:32 AM
there are test tones on the board, i want to send them to vegas.. how?
i can send them to all but the firewire (you can chose where you want it, the 4 group bottons)

thank you

pj
Geoff_Wood wrote on 11/4/2007, 4:08 PM
You must have a Mk2, mine is Mk1 and doesn't have test tones. But whyever would you want to do that ?

I guess there is no routing for that because there is never any requirement to do that. But you could take a cable for the output back to a channel line in if you have found some particular reason for it.

geoff