When Optical Flow in Vegas pro ?

Marcin wrote on 10/1/2018, 9:55 AM

Vegas pro has a very old smart resample mode that does not cope with Slow and Fast Motion,

When will the optical flow be added? How long do I have to wait, all professional programs have this function.

I really like Vegas Pro, I got used to it, I really do not want to change the program, please add this function to VP16

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 10/1/2018, 10:12 AM

I would like to see it too....

But doubt it would ever be in 16 (already too late), maybe 17?

Marcin wrote on 10/1/2018, 10:52 AM

I would buy VEGAS PRO 16 if they only added this function.

I hope MAGIX will read this post and take it to heart...

fr0sty wrote on 10/1/2018, 7:40 PM

I too would love to see this added.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

pawel-w wrote on 10/2/2018, 2:16 PM

This function is  available for a long time in the EDIUS PRO and DAVINCI RESOLVE and works great.

Vegas pro is an outdated thing.

alifftudm95 wrote on 10/2/2018, 8:28 PM

so much things need to be added in Vegas to compete with the big brand like Davinci,Premiere and FCPX

Last changed by alifftudm95 on 10/2/2018, 8:28 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Editor and Colorist (Kinda) from Malaysia

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: RTX3090 24GB

RAM: 64GB 3200MHZ

MOBO: X570-E

Storage:

C DRIVE NVME M.2 1TB SSD GEN 4

D DRIVE NVME M.2 2TB SSD GEN 4

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K HDR (Bought on 30 August 2023)

Monitor: BenQ PD2700U 4K HDR (RIP on 30 August 2023)

Kinvermark wrote on 10/2/2018, 8:59 PM

Well, IMO you guys are overstating its importance a little bit. It is a "nice to have for some users" (including me) not an "absolute must for everyone." If you really need it for professional work, you can get Twixtor ( and I think there is a cheap one from Prodad). For free you can always render out an intermediate from Resolve or use cineform studio FLUX.

@pawel-w That's simply not true. Has had lots of work done over the last couple years - Well on track for refurbishment. Keep the faith!

Rainer wrote on 10/3/2018, 12:22 AM

I think it's the thing in Vegas I miss the most.

fr0sty wrote on 10/3/2018, 12:43 AM

Throw in some of that beautiful AE motion blur while you're at it.

matthias-krutz wrote on 10/3/2018, 3:44 AM

I also miss this feature, although I use ReSpeedr from ProDAT with very good results in my HD projects. But I miss a feature to transfer velocity envelopes from Vegas to ReSpeedr. A velocity envelope created in Vegas must be recreated in ReSpeedr. This is frustrating and time consuming. For Twistor, Vegasaur close this gap with Velocity2Twixtor.

Desktop: Ryzen R7 2700, RAM 32 GB, X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, Radeon RX 5700 8GB, Win10 2004

Laptop: T420, W10, i5-2520M 4GB, SSD, HD Graphics 3000

VEGAS Pro 14-18, Movie Studio 12 Platinum, Vegasaur, HOS, HitfilmPro

Adam_Janz wrote on 10/3/2018, 7:41 AM

Download Ignite Express from Hitfilm. It's free, works with Vegas, and has a motion blur effect that uses Optical Flow. Just make sure to play with the settings (most notably "Window Size" and "Samples") to clean up any strange artifacting. Also increasing "Start Downsample" can decrease artifacting as well. You can see the results of each setting by trying the effect out on some quickly moving white text on a black background.

Kinvermark wrote on 10/3/2018, 9:22 AM

Throw in some of that beautiful AE motion blur while you're at it.

+1. And maybe a tiling fx that works beyond frame size limits so we can do AE style smooth spin and pan transitions. :)

Marcin wrote on 10/4/2018, 1:11 AM

Download Ignite Express from Hitfilm. It's free, works with Vegas, and has a motion blur effect that uses Optical Flow. Just make sure to play with the settings (most notably "Window Size" and "Samples") to clean up any strange artifacting. Also increasing "Start Downsample" can decrease artifacting as well. You can see the results of each setting by trying the effect out on some quickly moving white text on a black background.

Thank you Adam Janz.  I tried Ignite Express and it gives quite satisfying results. Unfortunately, the conversion is very slow.

Adam_Janz wrote on 10/4/2018, 7:23 AM

You are welcome, Marcin. You may find using Hitfilm Express (free) or Hitfilm Pro (paid) itself to do editing and/or compositing might be quicker (although using Ignite Express as a plugin in Vegas feels more familiar). Hitfilm seems to pre-render things in the background and I like how you can zoom in your video preview while compositing for fine detail work (not to mention the cool tracking features).

Kinvermark wrote on 10/4/2018, 11:55 AM

Seems to me that this effect is not the same as optical flow retiming / slow motion (ala Twixtor). You don't get any new interpolated frames, just frames with motion blurred objects. If I am wrong, can someone share their settings for the Hitfilm Motion Blur plugin. Thanks!

Marcin wrote on 10/6/2018, 4:06 AM

You're right, I'm only getting frames with motion blurred objects, unfortunately, we have to save somehow.Vegas PRO only has an outdated SMART RESAMPLE, programmers did nothing in this direction.😰