Why can't it determine Progressive/Interlace?

CoolBlue wrote on 10/17/2007, 11:26 AM
Why is it that whenever I replace a background file that is AVI/MPG, I have to choose Progressive or Interlaced for each file? The headers in the files contain this information. Why can't DVDA read this info and automatically set the format appropriately?

Same goes for Vegas. It has several different areas where you have to set the format. In Global options, you have to set Progressive. Then for each file you have to set the Reduce Interlace option, and so on, if you are making menus.

Some of this should be made automatic. To put it nicely, this software is "dumb" in the essence that it can't automatically help you set up the simplest of options. It gets to tedious in having to set up everything manually.

Any comments by other users would be appreciated!

Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 10/17/2007, 6:18 PM
i've always thought of the software thinking the user was "smart" enough to know what they're doing.
ScottW wrote on 10/18/2007, 7:20 AM
I believe that you are mis-understanding a couple of things. Generally in Vegas and in DVDA when you are setting progressive vs. interlaced, you are setting the output format. Vegas and DVDA both know whether a source file contains progressive or interlaced information.

In the case of "Reduce Interlace Flicker" - that's an operation you want to have performed on a particular media clip, so Vegas cannot assume that you always want to apply this feature - in some cases its appropriate, in others it isn't.

--Scott
MPM wrote on 10/18/2007, 8:17 AM
"...file that is AVI/MPG, I have to choose Progressive or Interlaced for each file? The headers in the files contain this information."

False -- at least for avi files. PAR, Field Order, & Interlaced vs Progressive are often assumed, but this data is not stored in a standardized place/header in the file.

"Some of this should be made automatic. To put it nicely, this software is "dumb" in the essence that it can't automatically help you set up the simplest of options. It gets to tedious in having to set up everything manually."

The fewer options, the easier the software is to use -- BUT you pay for it with reduced flexibility. Please contrast Vegas Pro/DVDA with the lower end, albeit easier to use programs like Videowave/MyDVD as included in Roxio's EMC...

One, you cannot import D1 mjpeg avi files -- PAR is assumed, and while that's one setting you don't have to worry about, the PAR's incorrect so in many cases avi import is impossible.

Two, field order is assumed to be lower 1st... Again something the user doesn't have to set, but if you have top field first video [as with most mpg2 video & recording] you're sunk.

I could go on but hopefully you see the point... Having or accepting choices made for you is not always in your best interest, whether we're talking software or fast food. ;?P
Rich Reilly wrote on 10/22/2007, 12:52 AM
My movie cliips are interlaced m2v. My backround menu transitions are progressive m2v. I don't remember changing anything when I brought in the progressive menu transition pieces into menu backgrounds.
Did I miss something?
And is it better to have my menu background video progressive although teh rest of my movies are interlaced?
Somehow I got the impression menu background video was supposed to be progressive.
MPM wrote on 10/24/2007, 10:19 AM
In my experience DVDA handles the transition from separate into video to motion menu background if both are progressive -- issue should be moot if using loop point. Otherwise some people feel interlaced menu backgrounds look better, while some prefer progressive. There are advantages to each... That said, a stand-alone player will send an interlaced signal to an interlaced TV, and with a progressive display, on a PC for example, an interlaced picture will often be de-interlaced.

TO set properties for title mpg2, double click the video to go to the timeline, go to the properties media tab, click the dropdown as if you were going to change media, only select properties.