Why does build 770 hate me?

Guy S. wrote on 2/10/2014, 8:42 PM
Vegas and I have always gotten along well. Very well. But now it's showing the wrong thumbnails in my project window. I just upgraded to build 770 today - that was the recommended fix for the unmanaged exception error I received when I launched Vegas today.

Anybody else experienced this? Any ideas on how I might fix it? I've thought of resetting my preferences but don't want to do that unless there's a fair chance it might actually fix the issue.

Not sure if it matters, but... After switching to Adobe Creative Cloud last week .psd files will no longer open in Photoshop when I double-click on them. I've tried resetting the file associations and I can associate .psd files with every .exe on my system EXCEPT Photoshop. Photoshop.exe simply will not associate with .psd files. Bad karma, maybe?

Comments

Steve Mann wrote on 2/10/2014, 9:00 PM
Who recommended 770? At any rate an unmanaged exception error is almost always a driver issue. (I would say always, but no one has ever shown unmanaged exception to not be a driver problem).
Guy S. wrote on 2/11/2014, 1:34 AM
I've not updated any drivers at all. The only change was installing Adobe Creatve Cloud versions of Premiere, Photoshop, AE, and Illustrator. And as I mentioned, I am unable to associate the PSD extension with Photoshop - that's literally the only weirdness on my workstation.

To answer your question, my computer recommended ver 770. After Vegas closed due to the unmanaged exception Windows checked for the solution and that's when I found out about 770. Through the years - and I started with ver 4 - each incremental release has improved Vegas -- for me, if not for others. I literally just don't have issues with Vegas. I suspect that something Bad happened when I uninstalled CS6 and installed CC. I'm just looking for confirmation. If it's Vegas I'll just roll back. If not then I will need to do a full reinstall and I've got a video due end of week.
Warper wrote on 2/11/2014, 5:08 AM
What tumbnails do you see and what tumbnails you want instead?

File association changes can change icons seen in explorer window. For special cases like picture/video preview there is special cache that can be created by windows or other programs. Generally it's some hidden folder and/or some additional files that contain small preview pictures. For some file types it can be stored inside video, but that's probably not your case.
If you copy video/picture to new folder, tumbnail should be created there from scratch. Try to create new folder and copy a couple of files there. If it will fix tumbnail issue for these 2 files, we can try to deal with tumbnail cache.
Guy S. wrote on 2/11/2014, 10:24 AM
Good insight, thanks. In my case only PSD files have lost their ability to associate with Photoshop - I can associate them with literally anything else - even .exe's that cannot open them (Adobe's GPU sniffer, for example). All my other file associations are fine.

Thumbnails are just fine in Windows Explorer.

Here's what happened: I was photoshopping an image during an edit session - done it a million times with zero issues - and when I went back to work on the edit the majority of the thumbnails in Vegas' Project Window had changed. They were thumbnails from files in a different folder on my storage drive. Click on the thumbnail and it plays the correct video - the one that I imported into the project. But seeing the wrong thumbnails makes it difficult to edit.

Looks like it's time to get IT involved...
Guy S. wrote on 2/11/2014, 4:08 PM
Our IT guy got involved and found the problem way too fast. I'm posting the solution for posterity: Delete the thumbnails in the Vegas media cache. Boom. Simple. Done.

You can find the thumbnails here: C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\Media Pool Thumbnails

With respect to the Creative Cloud issue there's good news and bad news:
Good news – it was an easy fix. The Registry was still pointing to Photoshop CS6, which I had uninstalled. Change that entry and all is well.
Bad news – I had already checked the registry and missed that entry.

So for those of you keeping track the final score is IT guy 2, Video Guy nil, and Vegas still rocks.
Grazie wrote on 2/11/2014, 4:22 PM
Yup, been posted here before, deleting thumbnails.

Would be great to find out WHY your IT guy was able to put his finger on it so easily?

G

Guy S. wrote on 2/12/2014, 1:40 PM
<<Would be great to find out WHY your IT guy was able to put his finger on it so easily?>>

He's smart and tenacious.
Former user wrote on 2/12/2014, 2:45 PM
"Would be great to find out WHY your IT guy was able to put his finger on it so easily?"

My guess would be a Google search for the symptoms.

Jim

ickBln wrote on 7/29/2014, 8:44 AM
Would be even greater to find out why SONY has failed to correct this error. I have had to delete the thumbnails umpteen times in Vegas 12 and now in 13 (build 373) the problem is back.
I don't know if this only happens when you have several instances of Vegas open. It happened to me right now after I had 1. nested 2 projects into a new one and 2. after removing the thumbnails and opening the project again copied some events from one open project into another one.
This is a great nuisance. I remember searching for a particular file I was sure I had imported into a project until it dawned on me that this might have to do with this idiotic thumbnail redraw problem. And it had.