Why does Vegas 11 Crash so much?

Edward wrote on 4/6/2012, 7:55 PM
All I do is a simple duplicate drag of a Generated Text element...then BAM! Even simple things like placing the VFX window on my dual monitor. It's so frustrating. I've been a user since Vegas 3, it's never been this bad.

MacPro
Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere”
32 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Windows 7 Ultimate

Comments

Leee wrote on 4/6/2012, 10:52 PM
Ohhh well, let's see.... poorly written code, 3rd party plugins, incompatible graphics cards or drivers, incompatible CPUs, motherboards, types of ram, not enough ram, too much ram, user error, black magic...take your pick. As to the actual reason and solution to your question, that's the $64,000 question. With each new patch release, we pray to the great silicon gods of computing that THIS will be the update to give us a crashless Sony Vegas. And the wait continues.....

OTOH, it could be Obama's fault, he get's blamed for everything else, so why not this?

(EDIT: Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm mocking your question, I'm just as frustrated as anyone else and have spent literally hours trying to figure out why these crashes are occurring)
Soniclight wrote on 4/7/2012, 4:44 AM
Indeed, you're definitely not the only one with this observation. More than one thread on this general topic, but the one below has 140 postings at the time of my writing this.
If you want to subject yourself to a long-read headache, dive in :)

I have VP10e and I have more crashes with it then I ever had with VP8 - and I know it's not some system/bad configuration issue on my part for I run a pretty lean one.

Boycott Vegas 12 unless Vegas 11 gets stable!
BurrMan wrote on 4/8/2012, 3:01 AM
""""""""""OTOH, it could be Obama's fault, he get's blamed for everything else, so why not this? """"""""""

Getting rid of that criminal would be a good start!
Leee wrote on 4/8/2012, 3:28 AM
Ummm...ALL politicians are criminals to one degree or another. Democrat or Republican, once they get into office the seductive call of money, power and greed is often too great to ignore for a good portion of our elected officials. To believe one party is good and the other evil is exactly what the politicians want people to believe. While we're busy arguing between non-existent political ideals each party is SUPPOSED to represent, they are all patting each other on the back and laughing all the way to the bank to deposit their kickbacks, illegal campaign contributions, under the table deals with big companies and investors.

I'm sorry I made that political joke, I should have known it would have riled at least one person up and have it taken seriously. So seriously, let's do everyone a favor and not discuss politics here. It's pointless, inappropriate for this forum, and just generally sucks the intelligence out of otherwise normal people.
BurrMan wrote on 4/8/2012, 3:35 AM
""""""I'm sorry I made that political joke, I should have known it would have riled at least one person up and have it taken seriously. So seriously, let's do everyone a favor and not discuss politics here. It's pointless, inappropriate for this forum, and just generally sucks the intelligence out of otherwise normal people. """""""""

Now you get it!
Steve Mann wrote on 4/8/2012, 5:40 PM
To imply that 140 posts are a tabulation of Vegas problems is just wrong.

Of that "140 Postings" thread, there is only 64 unique posters. 11 individuals posted a total of 63 posts. Almost half of the 148 posts at this time. And about half of those from individuals either trying to help others fix their PC or to report no problems. (Including a couple from the ForumAdmin).
Leee wrote on 4/8/2012, 8:49 PM
He did say the thread contained 140 postings, not 140 individuals reporting a problem, not 140 different problems or not even 140 posts speaking negatively about Vegas. Just 140 postings implies that it's a long thread discussing one or more reasons why Vegas is crashing.

I just don't understand this need to constantly create conflict between people who are having problems with Vegas and those who are not? What is that all about? It's been a long time since Vegas 11 has been released, and X number of people continue to have problems with it. Does it really matter how many? Is it really worth the effort to actually count the number of posts of who said what?

What DOES matter is that these problems be addressed, reported and shared among users in hopes of resolving them. These users shouldn't be made to feel like they are doing anything wrong or that they are part of a vast conspiracy to bring Sony down.

It's great that some users are having no issues at all, but the constant need to inject themselves into the conversation with the attitude, "Well there's nothing wrong with MY software", is not at all helpful or productive and it's kind of getting old.
Spectralis wrote on 4/9/2012, 8:50 AM
VP 11 crashes a lot. It's a fact - those that can't deal with it or don't want to contemplate this should stay out of the threads where we're trying to work out why it's happening. There's nothing worse than someone intervening with a pointless and usually flaming reply about how everything works well for them. Good for them but so beeping what! It's about as relevant to the discussion as me posting that I took my dog for a walk.
Zelkien69 wrote on 4/9/2012, 9:13 AM
This weekend we created a Same Day Edit for the wedding we filmed. We edited on Sony Vegas Pro 11 build (595). It was a slight nightmare as we had issues with Vegas freezing, MXF's rendered with black frames, and really just a bad experience overall.
The machine is a Windows 7 64bit with 12GB of Ram
i7-950 CPU
Independent system, media, and render drive 7200rpm
a EVGA 560ti with 1GB ram video card (and a second card for additional displays)

It was probably the first time in years I've wished I was editing on something else. Vegas is not reliable. The constant chatter of "it's hard to write code" and there are so many more variables now just doesn't resonate well. I like Vegas. I've cut my teeth on it and ran a decent little business for 6 years using it. Being in a situation where I'm adjusting delivery times because the reliability of the software is not good.
Like everyone else, I'll wait for more patches and upgrades to see if they can get it right.
Edward wrote on 4/10/2012, 3:35 AM
That's why I would've voted for Pedro!
PEDRO 2120!

Kidding aside, I'd hate to think the Sony layoffs would affect Vegas in any way.

It was amuzing to read the venting and frustrations of others. I know I'm not alone. I feel ya Zelkien69. That's a tough place to be in. I was there as well.

It's a mixed bag for me. There are days when I'm nearing the completion of a project, with all elements in place, Vegas 11 handles like a dream it's supposed to be. Then there are times when it just becomes a nightmare.

$800 to me is a large amount of money to spend on something that isn't reliable. I hope version 12 isn't as frustrating as this one.
ushere wrote on 4/10/2012, 3:46 AM
i certainly wont be buying 12 if they can't get 11 right ;-(
Duncan H wrote on 4/10/2012, 3:48 AM
I'm with you Ushere and I've been a loyal Vega guy from v 4.
Christian de Godzinsky wrote on 4/10/2012, 7:39 AM
Maybe we get a fresh patch just before NAB?

Some of us with serious problems really would appreciate a serious bug fix soon. Having one on hand would probably also make the life easier for SCS people during NAB... I will be one of them that doesn't blindly purchase VP12 unless the VP11 most serious bugs are first ironed out. I have done that since V6, but this time I'm certainly not.

Sony laying off 10.000 people is really bad news, but will it also affect SCS? Is there a connection (other than the Sony label) today?

Christian

WIN10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1903 | OS build 18362.535 | Studio 16.1.2 | Vegas Pro 17 b387
CPU i9-7940C 14-core @4.4GHz | 64GB DDR4@XMP3600 | ASUS X299M1
GPU 2 x GTX1080Ti (2x11G GBDDR) | 442.19 nVidia driver | Intensity Pro 4K (BlackMagic)
4x Spyder calibrated monitors (1x4K, 1xUHD, 2xHD)
SSD 500GB system | 2x1TB HD | Internal 4x1TB HD's @RAID10 | Raid1 HDD array via 1Gb ethernet
Steinberg UR2 USB audio Interface (24bit/192kHz)
ShuttlePro2 controller

riredale wrote on 4/10/2012, 12:24 PM
I just wish I could provide all the newer users of Vegas with a copy of V7 or V8 when they experience frustrations with V11. Then they would have a near-identical copy of the software they bought yet one which could be counted on, day in and day out, to just "work."

We've talked about this before. I think someone mentioned that there are companies out there that allow any version to be downloaded once the purchaser pays for the latest version. Other than a tacit admission that V11 is currently experiencing some significant teething pains, I don't see any downside for Sony to allow this.
Leee wrote on 4/10/2012, 12:37 PM
riredale: I have most of my older versions backed up on disc and thinking about reinstalling one of them. Are you saying that Vegas 8 was the last solid version? I thought 10e was okay (certainly not as bad as 11), I don't remember how version 9 acted, so Version 8 would be your recommendation?
riredale wrote on 4/13/2012, 11:46 AM
I have no experience with anything beyond V8, and I never used V8 other than for a short time. In my current situation, V7 suits my needs adequately. My understanding is that at some point there was a massive re-write of the code, which apparently is the cause of the most recent issues. But I don't know where that happened.

This is what I concluded last month about the various versions of the past few years, based on the Release Notes files:

...V7d: improved window layout (seems to be very stable for me)
V7e: Sony AVCHD editing
V8: AVCHD editing, 32-bit floating point option, Vista compatibility
V8.1: 64-bit editing
V9: 4K by 4K video editing
V10: stereoscopic video project compatibility, image stabilizer
V11: video card render support...
GlenMuse wrote on 11/13/2012, 8:50 AM
I have found that reducing the amount of ram committed to Dynamic Ram preview reduces the frequency of crashes for me, but the results aren't consistent.

Switching off the GPU acceleration also sometimes helps, but again, isn't consistent.

I've been a Vegas user (industrial productions and daily user) since V4 and never dealt with crashes until this version. I'm starting to look at other NLE options.
Laurence wrote on 11/13/2012, 8:57 AM
Reducing the amount of RAM preview memory to zero helps in both V11 and V12. V10 and earlier worked just fine with several gigabytes set aside for RAM previews.