Widescreen/16x9?

Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 4/19/2005, 7:58 PM
I am wondering why my the video that I film in 16x9 does not come out thay way in my movie studio or in my dvd architect. I have gone to properties and optimize and every time I change the settings to widescreen all it does is shrink the picture and put black bars around the left,right, top and bottom instead of giving me the black bars at the top and the bottom as it is supposed to do. Can someone please help me out with this for I am very aggravated with this as I only want to film my projects in widescreen but currently everything is coming out fullscreen.

Comments

allyn wrote on 4/19/2005, 10:37 PM
i'm assuming your video is anamorphic 16:9 and you are capturing by firewire through movie studio so movie studio knows that. if it doesn't know, or you are capturing with another program that isn't saving the widescreen bit, you many have to right-click on the clip and set the clip properties to widescreen.

what happens when you set your project properties to widescreen? it is normal for anamorphic video to appear "fullscreen" in the preview window unless you set your preview window to simulate device aspect ratio.

also make sure your dvd player is set to either widescreen (if you have a 16:9 tv) or pan/scan letterbox. you may have it set to pan/scan full screen, which would be a problem.

also i'm assuming you are generating widescreen video and audio streams separately before transferring to dvdas because you can't create a widescreen mpeg2 with audio from movie studio.
jtuffen wrote on 4/20/2005, 5:47 AM
I've seen a similar thing... I can set up my Movie Studio project as 'PAL DV widescreen' and all my previews (bottom right corner) are shown in widescreen correctly... If I then attempt to 'make DVD', the resulatant mpg file is 4:3 with black bands top and bottom!

I have taken to writing the movie to disk (using the PAL DV Widescreen template) and then importing that into DVDA (set to a widescreen project of course) gives me the correct final result.

It struck me as strange that the 'make DVD' option in MS doesn't create the correct type of mpg file, but I just work around it!

john..

(seriously thinking about Vegas 6!!)
Superman wrote on 4/20/2005, 6:29 AM
I know how to do this, but I'm going to explain it from memory, so this may not be exact. I make all of my movies anamorphic 16:9, and this software works great.

Click "make dvd", and select "save to hard drive". Choose the "DVD Architect Widescreen Video" Mpeg-2 template. Then there is a check box on the lower left that says something like resize video. You want to uncheck that so that it will maintain your anamorphic quality. Otherwise it will letterbox it.

After the video is resized, you need to render the audio to a Wav file. You do this the same way, except click on "Advanced" and select WAV as type of file. Make sure you save it in the same folder as the video with the exact same name except that the .mpg will be .wav. DVD Architect Studio will pick up both automatically and put them together. Make sure you tell DVDA that it is a widescreen project as well.