Comments

Marc S wrote on 8/15/2014, 3:55 PM
I asked one of the tech guys at NAB and it sounded like it might be in the works though he was obviously coy about it. He did ask me if I would be interested in Vegas for MAC. I think it's a great idea.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 8/15/2014, 9:31 PM
I'd prefer they got it to work right on Windows, rather than the distraction of attempting to support another platform.

Nothing to do with my healthy loathing of the iWorld ;-)

geoff (not an iDdict)
ushere wrote on 8/15/2014, 9:53 PM
+1 geoff

what is this obsession with getting vegas on a mac?

dual boot, boot camp, parallel, whatever. why waste what little (apparently) resources scs has in porting an already imperfect program to another os. if they were to port i'd opt for linux.
Steve Mann wrote on 8/15/2014, 10:17 PM
Vegas on a Mac? I wouldn't place any bets on it. Vegas is built around VFW (Video for Windows) and would have to be completely re-engineered to build a Mac version. The cost would have to be passed to a really small market and I doubt that Sony would want to wait years for payback on the investment, and Vegas/Mac users wouldn't want to pay for it with much higher prices.
NormanPCN wrote on 8/16/2014, 12:12 AM
Vegas is built around VFW (Video for Windows) and would have to be completely re-engineered to build a Mac version.

Disagree. If you don't play with AVI files with VfW is out of the picture.

Vfw is only used for decode and final encode of a file. Processing the video stream(s) into a single composited video stream is completely independent of decode and encode operations. SCS can dream up whatever they want, like plug-ins and OpenCL GPU use.

The non trivial work, therefore cost, is coming up with a cross platform portable GUI API and then porting the existing code to that. Of course one can choose to maintain two separate user interface "shells" as it were.
Chienworks wrote on 8/16/2014, 7:41 AM
Have to agree with ushere. If it's ported to anything, Linux is the way to go. It's a very strong, healthy, and rapidly growing market.

There are also "Redmond"-compatible shells in existence already which would make porting the UI a no-brainer.
cal79 wrote on 8/16/2014, 9:52 AM
Why be so anti-mac about it?.. my belief is that software should be available on all platforms.. Sony Vegas started life as a powerful audio-only application.. having Sound forge on the Mac at this stage means the backbone architecture of Vegas is already in place.. whether or not they choose move forward on it or have the resources to do so remains to be seen.. I for one would welcome it on a Mac and I'm a PC user.
Silverglove wrote on 8/16/2014, 8:20 PM
The best part of getting it on a Mac would be the fact that it only has to work on one computer... just one. No bios, motherboard, ram, HD, video card issues. It was the same mentality that Avid had for many years with Pro Tools. Makes support and trouble shooting VERY easy.
GeeBax wrote on 8/16/2014, 11:59 PM
No, not true, there are just as many issues with people trying to run applications designed for Macs, on Macs. Trouble is the think every Mac is the same, and they most certainly are not.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 8/17/2014, 2:40 AM
The "all platforms" thing is the very antithesis of everything Apple was and is about. They are the masters of restrictive business and technological practices. Not to mention Digidesign/Avid. Granted, things have improved slightly lately.

geoff
John_Cline wrote on 8/17/2014, 4:07 AM
I choose the software I need to run and then purchase the hardware on which to run it, not the other way around. All the software I choose to run is on a PC, so I own PCs. If there was some killer app only available on a MAC, then I'd buy a MAC, there isn't, so I haven't.
Terje wrote on 8/20/2014, 3:35 PM
>> Linux is the way to go. It's a very strong, healthy, and rapidly growing market.

Linux on the desktop has a smaller market share than Windows Phone 7, and the market share is shrinking, not growing. Porting to Linux would be nuts. Also, nobody would ever develop a plugin for Vegas on Linux.
Rob Franks wrote on 8/20/2014, 4:19 PM
"The best part of getting it on a Mac would be the fact that it only has to work on one computer... just one. No bios, motherboard, ram, HD, video card issues. It was the same mentality that Avid had for many years with Pro Tools. Makes support and trouble shooting VERY easy. "

If you think about this from a logical POV it makes perfect sense.... and that's why I guess, so many people believe it. In practice however it couldn't be further from the truth

Macs crash, as does Protools, so certifying hardware has not at all accomplished the goal that was originally set.