Win 7 64bit playback issues

RodC wrote on 11/8/2010, 12:45 PM
Im trying to move my PC to Win 7 64bit. I have it dual booting to see how things perform. Its an AMD dual core 3ghz with 6G of ram.

Im working with projects that have m2t, mpg, and some .mov (uncompressed intermedeate files)

Display is set to Preview - Auto
I have tried about every setting possible with the auto size/aspect ratio options.

On XP 32bit - Vegas pro 9.0e these projects run pretty smooth and my cpus bounce around 70%

Using Win 7 64 bit (running 9.0e 32bit OR 64bit) the playback is real choppy, and the audio makes pretty bad noises as it stutters. The cpus both stay pegged at 100% - 98%

In all instances the memory usage is 2G or less.

TIA for any suggestions.

Comments

pwppch wrote on 11/8/2010, 3:13 PM
Please fill out your system specs in your user profile.

What audio hardware are you using?

Are you using ASIO drivers?

Peter
RodC wrote on 11/8/2010, 5:27 PM
I had filled them out, but neglected to check "Display system information on my forum profile page"

I'm using 2x Delta 1010s.

I'll check the ASIO, I'm using the ASIO for Sonar, but I didnt check what drivers Vegas uses.
RodC wrote on 11/8/2010, 5:46 PM
I switched to the ASIO drivers, still same issue.

Im afraid this CPU is just getting too old for Win 7.

Its an Athalon Dual core, 6000+ 3 GHz
JohanAlthoff wrote on 11/9/2010, 2:18 AM
Do you have stuttering playback in the Trimmer window?

I'm trying to chase down a very elusive Win7-64 issue where timeline playback is fine, but the Trimmer playback occasionally jumps back a few samples (I'm guessing about one buffer size's worth) every 6 seconds or so. Using the good-old DirectSound Surround Mapper.
craftech wrote on 11/9/2010, 5:02 AM
It sounds like you don't have the sample and bit rates for the cards the same as the program. They have to be identical.

John
RodC wrote on 11/9/2010, 5:11 AM
The bit rates are both set at 44.1. This is more of an issue with the video sucking up too much CPU.

After more tweeks it seems like the .mov files that I created for intermedeate editing are the issue. I created them with DNxHD.

I installed the latest because there is a fix for the dialog box. I downloaded Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.3.2. The installer said the codecs were for 32 or 64 bit, but I think Sony vegas is still loading the layer that allows it to use 32 bit codecs. (If I use the 32 bit version of sony I dont see this in memory, but wit the 64 bit I do)

Both the 64 and 32 bit versions playback these .mov files too slow in Win 7.

RodC wrote on 11/9/2010, 8:02 AM
It is an issue with the .mov files I created using AVID DNxHD. Any project that includes them peg the CPU. Other projects that have .mp4, .m2t, .mpg all hit the CPU at 40 to 50%

I have tried both Avid Codecs LE 2.1, and 2.3.2 both with poor playback results.