Comments

wcoxe1 wrote on 12/13/2002, 7:13 PM
If you have Sound Forge 6.0 and Noise Reduction 2.0, both from Sonic Foundry, you may well be able to salvage some of the sound. There are tutorials on the main Sonic Foundry site.

This is, by the way, a very expensive solution if you don't already have these two products.

If you don't have them, you might try working with the equalizer or cutoff filters in VV. Other posters can probably tell you more, if you are patient.
zemote wrote on 12/13/2002, 7:26 PM
I do have Sound Forge, but the $297 for Noise Reduction 2.0 is a little more than I want to spend for this. Thanks for your tip though.
wcoxe1 wrote on 12/13/2002, 9:16 PM
I see Noise Reduction going for half that on eBay, unopened and WITH a valid registration.
Spot|DSE wrote on 12/13/2002, 10:31 PM
You can use several EQ's at once to kill wind noise too. Nothing is as good as Noise Reduction 2.0, nothing....but in a pinch, you CAN use EQ's. Just set them at a variety of spacings working with one freq at a time, until you've gotten most of it out. Use VERY narrow bands for this, hence the need for several. I've had to use as many as 5 in one instance.
oddboy wrote on 12/14/2002, 12:41 AM
how do you do it

are they notch eqs?
JohnnyRoy wrote on 12/14/2002, 8:52 AM
I’ve done this right in Vegas with fairly good results. I never remember to turn on the wind screen on my camera either. Go into the track FX and select the Track EQ that is already added for you. The first point is already set for Low Shelf, which is what you want. Set the Frequency (Hz) to 290 and the Gain (dB) to –Inf (all the way to the left). Now listen to a loop of your audio and adjust the frequency to filter more or less of the wind.

The trade-off is that other audio will sound a little thin because you’ve removed some bass. If you add some music softly playing in the background on another track, it will mask this because the music will have full fidelity and provide bottom to the mix. If adding music is inappropriate for your video then you have to live with the thin sound or pay a lot more for Noise Reduction 2.0. Hope this helps.

~jr
zemote wrote on 12/14/2002, 11:46 AM
Actually, I am adding music to this so this should work out perfectly i think. I will post my results when i'm done. Thanks for all that have replied. I'm a newbie and thank all the wonderful posts i've read over the last few weeks just lurking around.
zemote
zemote wrote on 12/14/2002, 11:57 AM
RohnnyRoy, dude you rule, thanks. This hack took all but 2 seconds to apply. I was able to remove most of the wind with this. A couple spots the wind was just a little too overpowering but it will be usable for this Home Video.
Paul_Holmes wrote on 12/14/2002, 12:00 PM
Or try this affordable windscreen from Studio 1.

I use an AT822 on top of my camera and it looks like it will fit just perfectly. Obviously if you're relying on the camera's built-in mike it won't work with your rig.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 12/14/2002, 12:34 PM
Zemote.

You’re welcome. I forgot to add one last part. Don’t forget to name it “Wind Screen” or something and press the diskette icon to save it. That’s how I was able to give you the parameters so quickly. After spending time setting it up for some video I took at the beach this summer, I saved it for future use and could recall it quickly whenever I need it. This is one of the most powerful features of Vegas. All these tweaks are savable as custom settings for future use. Many people don't realize this.

For where the wind is overpowering, you might try adding an audio envelope and lowering the volume at those points only. This will also lower everything else at those points so it doesn’t help if someone is talking but it helps take out the real annoying wind and you don’t notice because, once again, the music will mask it by never letting it get too quiet.

~jr