Windows 7 Taskbar and Vegas slightly OT

busterkeaton wrote on 2/3/2010, 7:40 PM
I just switched to Windows 7 and I'm enjoying the new taskbar functionality. When you mouse over an icon in the taskbar, it will show all the documents/windows that are open in that program, by display a thumbnail of each window

It's very useful when you have several webpages open at once. This is one of the big new features in Windows 7 and commonly known. What I didn't know is these thumbnails are dynamic. I was waiting for a render to finish and I hovered over the vegas icon in the taskbar and the thumbnail actually showed what was going on in Vegas, the preview window was animated in the little thumbnail. Pretty cool.

Comments

DGates wrote on 2/3/2010, 8:15 PM
Yeah, I like that feature in Win 7 as well. It's nice to actually be happy with a Windows OS for a change.
Jeff_Smith wrote on 2/3/2010, 8:59 PM
also try ctrl-windows key-tab or windows key+tab for flip 3d switch shortcut
DGates wrote on 2/3/2010, 9:01 PM
My mouse does the 3D thingy when pressing on the side scroll wheel.
busterkeaton wrote on 2/3/2010, 9:33 PM
AHHHHHHH!

The 3d switch thing is freaky. Not sure I'd use it over Alt-tab, but it looks cool.
DGates wrote on 2/3/2010, 9:38 PM
Indeed.

Plus I sometimes move my cursor all the way to the bottom right (like when watching online videos). It takes a while to learn that this makes whatever you're working on disappear. The first time that happened, I was like "WTF?"
darkframe wrote on 2/5/2010, 3:54 AM
Hi,

what I really do like with that taskbar is that you can now move the icons of active programs around as you wish (well, within the taskbar of course ;) ). Very handy.
John_Cline wrote on 2/5/2010, 3:56 AM
All in all, I've been pretty happy with Windows 7, probably my favorite Windows OS since either NT4 or Win2k.
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/5/2010, 5:56 AM

After a computer guru friend of mine gave W7 his seal of approval I loaded it. I'm having a little trouble "finding" things and getting around, but so far so good, generally speaking.

The first thing I noticed was Vegas now loads in seconds, instead of minutes!

I do miss Outlook Express and I loath Windows Live Mail.

Oh, and one last thing... the low-contrast text and backgrounds are really straining these tired old eyes. Wish there was a way to fix that.

busterkeaton wrote on 2/5/2010, 7:47 AM
You know I got Windows 7 at part of new machine which is much faster than my old one, so I didn't notice it as much, but Vegas opens before I can count to 4.

I'm liking the libraries concept too. It's much better than the my documents folders.

If you're having trouble seeing the text, have you played with the Clear Text settings?
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/5/2010, 8:13 AM

"Clear text settings"? Where is that?

busterkeaton wrote on 2/5/2010, 9:01 AM
Go here Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display

and then on the left, go to Adjust ClearType Text