Windows XP?

Rednroll wrote on 10/24/2001, 10:33 PM
Ok, I have a real question here. What the hell does the "XP" stand for in Windows XP. I was able to figure out 95, 98, 98 SE, 2K, NT, ME.....just don't know about "XP" yet. Seems like they had a good thing going when they where naming them after years they where first released in.

Reminds me of how Intel went from 286, to 386, to 486, and then came Pentium? Where the hell did that one come from along that chain?
Sonic Foundry products "XP" usually means it's a scaled down version. Now, I'm gonna get really confused if Vegas goes V1, V2, V3, and then Vegas XP.

Comments

WCMIV wrote on 10/24/2001, 10:49 PM
It stands for "Experience"...Seattle, where Jimmy is laid to rest..."Are you Experienced?" Clever...
pfarrell wrote on 10/24/2001, 11:38 PM
It officially means Experience, as others have noticed, and not Extremely Painful or Excessively Profitable.

The Pentium came because you can't Brand a number. Intel tried and lost in court. So you invent a name and trademark that. You also can not trademark a version that is simply numeric, hence Windows 95 rather than Windows V4.0 which is what it really is.

All I want is for Vegas Audio Version 3 to get a divorce from Vegas Video, at least until someone gives me a DV camera.
tserface wrote on 10/26/2001, 12:19 PM
Think eXPerience... The goal of Windows XP was to bring both types of Windows (Home and Office) under one product. So, instead of having 98, ME, NT, 2000 you simply have XP Home and HP Professional. There is very minimal difference in the two products and most of the home users wouldn't want stuff in the Professional version anyway. I've been running under the beta version for a couple of weeks and I've found that my Vegas performance has improved quite a bit. To be fair I also switched machines and processors and file systems so ...

New machine:

AMD T-Bird Athlon 1.4 Mhz
Soyo Dragon Motherboard
WD 60GB and 40GB drives NTFS
512MB DDR memory
ATI Radeon VE video card
WD IEEE 1394 OHCI 4 port card
16 bit SoundBlaster

I also bought a NEC monitor, 24x CD-R/RW drive, 16x DVD, and the case, etc. etc. etc and the total cost after rebates was around $1,400.

So far this new machine works way better than my previous 450mhz Pentium with Intel motherboard. I can render nearly twice as fast (even though the 40GB drives is the same on with just a new file system and motherboard), I don't get glitches any more when doing print to tape, and everything seems to be running flawlessly in the first 20-30 hours of use.

I really like XP as well, but the goodies built in don't do much for me. I have been using the ability to create CD-Rs since it's so easy to do it with Explorer and all I ever do is use it to back up, but the MovieMaker program is a joke compared with Vegas. It boots extremely fast (faster than Win ME or 2000) and the new look is kind of interesting. My kids like it. Mostly I like how everything works now and is so much quicker to use. Vegas loads up in around 3 or 4 seconds as compared with around 15 before including loading plug-ins.

Tom