Comments

jetdv wrote on 10/16/2005, 7:50 PM
You will need to create a mask around the body to let the color version show through. If the player is moving, the mask will have to follow the player. Bezier Masking can do this but will be very time-consuming.
Coursedesign wrote on 10/16/2005, 9:02 PM
It's a lot easier (but still a large amount of work) with an application that can do "automatic" tracking of the player.

After Effects can do it, but Combustion has a significantly better tracker.

Combustion 4 also offers both Bezier and B-splines, the latter are quicker and easier to work with for some masking (depending on the object).
GGman wrote on 10/16/2005, 11:22 PM
I like Fusion 5 over Combsution. Check it out. The trackers, B splines and a lot of new 3D stuff added. Background rendering with cache so playback in RT is usually ready.

GG
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 10/16/2005, 11:29 PM
GGman - you've got some deep pockets (or know those who do) unless of course you don't buy the software and just indefinately try it out ;)

Either way - My guess is that 5 large is more than someone wants to spend for this ability

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The masking doesn't have to be perfect - it can have some fudge as long as the video behind the player is not the same color as the player or his jersy etc...

Then just do the secondary coco filter to remove the BG colors on the masked clip.

and drop that section on top of a clip that has the clip in B&W

you're good to go.
GGman wrote on 10/17/2005, 10:40 AM
Frigid,

I replied to Coursedesign in regards to Combustion, and anyone else who might be interested in what I have found from using all the apps out there. Combustion is also very good, but I prefer Fusion, just like I prefer Vegas over FCP (which is also very good).The original poster can probably use Vegas for roto as suggested earlier on.

GG
Sullivan wrote on 10/17/2005, 10:55 AM
If the camera is stationary, you might be able to do a difference key to mask player.
evm wrote on 10/17/2005, 6:55 PM
Thanks guys, Awesome!
busterkeaton wrote on 10/17/2005, 7:07 PM
This is simple to do in Vegas if you are only changing one color. If you have more than one color, you need software with motion tracking as the folks above state.

The other issue is the one color you are changing will be adjusted for all shades of that color. You can narrow this down, by adjusting the settings. but if you are adjusting, blue all blues may be affected. In a sports situation. every player on that team will be wearing a similar color and most likely ALL the jerseys will change color.
Coursedesign wrote on 10/17/2005, 10:35 PM
I also would like Fusion 5 over Combustion, as I think it is better overall (although not in all areas).

There is a cheaper DFX+ version for $1.5K, but that handles only 8-bit video.