WOT: spanish translation

Former user wrote on 2/12/2011, 9:28 AM
This is way off topic, but I have a DVD burning project this weekend that has a title I need translated into Spanish:

Contrator Safety Video - Spanish Version

I tried babelfish, but it translates "Safety" into "seguridad" which apparently means "Security" which, in this use doesn't mean the same thing.

Thanks!

Comments

Jose M. Estrada wrote on 2/12/2011, 9:42 AM
Safety and Security are translated " seguridad " in español . " Seguridad en el trabajo es una prioridad " ( Work safety is a priority ) You are safe using that word ( no pun intended )
Former user wrote on 2/12/2011, 11:50 AM
Okay. Thanks much.

So would this work as a translation:

Vídeo de la seguridad del contactor - versión española

Just to be clear though, you're saying that "Safety Officer" and "Security Officer" are the same in Spanish? The main difference in English is that one can carry a gun ;-)
Anthony J C wrote on 2/13/2011, 2:38 AM
I think the following is correct:

Vídeo de la seguridad del contactor - versión Español.

Anthony
Rob Franks wrote on 2/13/2011, 4:18 AM
"Just to be clear though, you're saying that "Safety Officer" and "Security Officer" are the same in Spanish?
No... not the main difference in English. "Safety Officer" is a name and its meaning may or may not carry any weight what so ever in a different jurisdiction. In other words You may have to include a foot note explaining the definition of a "Safety Officer"
graphic_girl wrote on 2/13/2011, 9:06 AM
OK maybe I *can* be of help... lol

I majored in Spanish many many years ago in college ;-p and before my current marketing gig.. was a substitute teacher for 2 Spanish classes in a high school... HOWEVER that being said... even *I* am not comfortable translating for print media or video when the intended audience is NATIVE speakers...

For what it is worth... from what I have read in this thread... your use of seguridad is correct...

BUT... please do NOT use Babelfish... I used to tell my students NOT to (it does a *LITERAL* translation that is WRONG more often than it is right...) ....AND as a "gringa"... even *I* could spot a babelfish translation a mile away... :-/

You *really* need the assistance of a native speaker... and based on *MY* recent experiences on this forum... I am guessing with your accurate subject line... you *should* be getting some assistance from the WONDERFUL folks here... :-)))

GOOD LUCK... (and NO Babelfish... PLEASE!) :-)

gg :-)
Jose M. Estrada wrote on 2/13/2011, 10:18 AM
Video de Seguridad del Contratista,( Contractor ) Is the translation to spanish. And for the record, I am a native spanish speaker living in Chicago for more than 20 years.
Former user wrote on 2/13/2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks very much JMES :-)

I've passed on a jpg of the DVD menu(s) to the client for approval.

Jim
Jose M. Estrada wrote on 2/13/2011, 11:35 AM
No problema señor Jim.
rs170a wrote on 2/14/2011, 7:45 AM
I realize that it's probably too late but my wife asked one of her IT guys in San Luis Potosi and here's his (slightly different) translation than the one Jose gave.

Video de seguridad para contratistas – Versión en español.

Mike