You get more than what you pay for!

Spot|DSE wrote on 9/17/2004, 8:24 PM
Dang!
Today we did a shootout for a private organization of which mics they should be using for their voiceovers in their production environment. (religious institution)

We tested a huge array of ribbon and large diaphragms.
Samson sent over one of their new CL7 mics.
AEA sent over one of their new "old" R84s. We had an Audio Technica 3060 tube mic, as well as a grunt load of others.

Hands down, the R84 and the 3060 won the battle. Cost is greatly different, 1K vs 499.00 street prices. One is ribbon, the other tube.

On voice, the AT handily won. Recording audio with the mics placed 24" away from a Mackie 628 studio monitor pumping out Dire Straits, the R84 was a little more true to the sound, with the AT being a little thinner.

I was realy excited to hear the Samson. Don't waste your time. What could you expect from an inflated retail of 500.00 that most stores are selling for around 199.00? Yuk.

One thing I'd noticed about the AT; it doesn't heat up like most tube mics do, so it doesn't need to be turned upside down for heat dissipation.
I think our client is going to go with these, and since it's below budget, they can't lose. Interesting that of all the mics shot out (below 1.2K$) the AT was the clear vocal/voice over winner. Even makes a loud mouth like me sound like a DJ.

Just thought I'd share the day with you.

Comments

B.Verlik wrote on 9/18/2004, 12:27 AM
Cool Info.
Grazie wrote on 9/18/2004, 12:36 AM
Any free samples . . ? Hmmm .. ? . . . You got my email? Send them thru' as an attachment! Ha-HAH!

Grazie
John_Cline wrote on 9/18/2004, 12:36 AM
This just further reinforces my opinion that Audio Technica makes some great stuff. I am generally impressed with their entire product line.

Spot, I assume that you're getting your AT mics from Grandmas... :)

John
farss wrote on 9/18/2004, 1:52 AM
We have one of their stereo shotguns, interesting mic, it seems to do wonderous things for live sound such as chamber orchestras but correct placement seems critical. Sadly that seems to be beyond most who've tried using it although one client who was an audio guy trying his hand at video loved.

Certainly not a cheap bit of gear though.

Bob.
Spot|DSE wrote on 9/18/2004, 10:22 AM
I used to buy all my AT stuff from Ryan at Grandma's. However, a close friend here in Utah picked up the factory rep position for AT here in the west, he sells to Mickey and the boys. So, I buy direct from him because the weird things I needed, I'd have to wait for Grandmas to order.

I'm so impressed with what AT is doing, they are really taking the curve to some great places. Now if they'd just make a 'vintage' ribbon mic for less than 1K...
Trichome wrote on 9/18/2004, 10:41 AM
Was the reference material from the collection of the client? LOL
Spot|DSE wrote on 9/18/2004, 10:46 AM
I know you meant it as a joke, but....
We use a CD of tones created in Forge, plus Dire Straights because their "Money for Nothing" (I want my MTV) song is clean, punchy, and tonally as close to perfect as anything ever recorded. Plus it's one most everyone knows.
In addition, we did voice overs with 4 voices, 2 male and 2 female. So, between the speaker tone tests and the voice overs, it gives a pretty solid indicator as to what mic sounds best/most accurate, which definitely isn't the same thing.
HPV wrote on 9/18/2004, 5:29 PM
Playing the song "Money for Nothing" at a religious institution is rich.
Gotta agree that it is one sonic gem of a recording, as is most of thier stuff.

Craig H.