Comments

Grazie wrote on 3/10/2003, 3:39 AM
Hi Fixler!

What version are you working in? VV3 or the new V4? You would do worse than downloading the "manual" for the version you have. SoFo, being a superb User support company, has made the manuals available. I'm saying this as what you ask, although having been asked several times, does involve much activity on behalf of the user. I've found that having downloaded the .pdf file for V4 allows me to ponder over what has been written. I can take it to bed! In the garden! And, if you wish you could take it down the pub too!

Anyway, here's the link for the manual for V4:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/download/step2.asp?DID=441

If you are using another "flavour" of Vegas or even VideoFactory, do a search for the manual you need - yeah?

The quick answer is YES and it would tkae a bit of typing to explain. If others wish to jump in here - that's up to them. My advise is the above, and have the manual in your hands. You will not be dissappointed.

Grazie
AlexB wrote on 3/10/2003, 5:10 AM
Hi fixler, Grazie.
With almost no additional effort, you coud have pointed at p.165, chapter 11, Event Pan/Crop. That's where you find the effect you want.
A.
Grazie wrote on 3/10/2003, 6:46 AM
Hiyah AlexB!

Know what, Alex, you make me sound quite lazy,"With almost no additional effort" . . . you got that right! I've just returned from my "binder" service chap. Up to today - 30 minutes ago in fact - I had the 315 page beast in single loose sheets. Oh, I didn't think fixler had the manual for me to quote to anway? Perhaps you know something I don't.
AlexB wrote on 3/10/2003, 12:14 PM
Hi Grazie!
Answer is quite simple. I don't use paper, just the .pdf-file on my computers. If you are used to it, it's the quickest thing by far, and excellent for reference. If I want to take it out into the open, it's on my notebook as well. No dog's ears, no tearing pages (youn can't wrap your lunch in it, though);-))
A.
Grazie wrote on 3/10/2003, 3:05 PM
"(youn can't wrap your lunch in it, though);-))"

Hah HAh! THAT's why I had it printed!
BillyBoy wrote on 3/10/2003, 3:11 PM
I probably shouldn't admit this, but...

I printed out the version 3 manual sometime back on my color printer, and never really having time to read it, took it with me into the whirlpool. Well, duh, you know what happened. It slipped and the last dozen pages or so got very soggy.
BillyBoy wrote on 3/10/2003, 3:23 PM
Nobody has really answered the poor guy's question. So a brief one at least.
Each event has a pan/crop button at the right edge. Click it. That will open the event in the Event pan/crop window.

Generally you'll want to begin by right clicking on the image inside the FX window then selecting match output aspect. This will make sure the video fills out the frame. Next be sure the sync cursor is on so your are locked into the timeline.

Next notice the six handles that surround the image in the FX window. If you move our cursor over any corner handle the cursor changes to a doubled headed arrow. While holding down your left mouse you can drag a handle in, which will zoom out the image. Moving out, shrinks it. You can also type in values if you know exactly what size you want.

Like many applications Vegas uses key frames. Once you move the handles to size the image as you want it click on the first keyframe button. That would lock the zoom in place at that position.

Now you can move elsewhere on the timeline and key additional key frames first changing dragging the handles to zoom in or out. Most times you'll only want to set a starting and ending keyframe. Vegas will automatically cacualate the in-between frames. That's the basic zoom feature.

To pan, position the cursor anywhere on the image other than the handles. Your cursor should change to a four headed arrow. While holding down your left mouse button drag the image as you wish while obeserving the image to be sure you don't end up out of bounds with would leave a black border. Generally when you pan you'll also want to zoom.

You can easily combine the two actions panning and zooming in or out slowly very smoothly. If necessary, additional key frames can be added anywhere along the path, remember to click the plus key which adds a key frame. The minus key removes keyframes you no longer want.

To control the speed of the panning and/or zooming drag the right border of the event on the main timeline while holding down the Ctrl key. You can also drop in a velocity envelope and more precisely control the speed, even stop and reverse.

That's the basics.

AlexB wrote on 3/10/2003, 4:31 PM
Well, Billy Boy, you told it nicely, perfectly, and with some screenshots added this would make another, if short, tutorial for the beginners! Keep up the good work!
A.
Kevmiami wrote on 3/10/2003, 5:28 PM
Nicely Done BillyBoy,

Perhaps you could modify the subject on your posts, so your very helpful hints don't get lost in the "fun stuff?" Thanks again!!