3770/ASUSMB optimization tips

Guy S. wrote on 10/15/2012, 2:02 PM
This past weekend I (FINALLY!) got around to upgrading my home editing system. I'd forgotten just how much I dislike building computers...

I moved from a core i5 to a core i7 3770k on an ASUS MB. I also installed two SSD's, one (128GB Crucial M4) for the OS/Apps and the other (60GB Corsair) for... Well honestly I'm not sure...

I intended to set the 2nd SSD up for Intel's Smart Response Technology, but reading through the ASUS MB manual it said that Smart Response required me to configure the BIOS to use RAID. The manual was quite good, but frankly this particular section was very unclear. From what I can tell I needed to install RAID software from a bootable disk prior to installing the OS, and that train has already sailed.

So...

Is Smart Response worth using, or should I scratch that idea and just dedicate the 2nd SSD to temp files for the OS and Vegas?

Cooling - use the stock cooler or use the massive Cooler Master (Hyper 212) with heat pipes? I had that on my core i5 (not overclocked) and it was fine. On my new build I started out with the stock cooler because it occurred to me that heat rises and in a tower case the CPU cooler sits horizontally. While I may try overclocking the system my main concern is maintaining stability when editing/rendering when the ambient temperature hits 90 degrees.

I wish I had known before purchasing, but my memory (Crucial Ballistix 4 x4GB) is not on the approved list for this MB. Corsair was, and I could have purchased that for just a few dollars more. DOH!

Any other tips for optimizing the system? I've updated the specs (system #2).

Thanks!

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 10/15/2012, 2:25 PM
"I intended to set the 2nd SSD up for Intel's Smart Response Technology, but reading through the ASUS MB manual it said that Smart Response required me to configure the BIOS to use RAID. "

I also bought a 60 GB SSD for SRT, installed the raid drivers and tested. I found the disk speed did go up once the data was on the target disk. When moving large files, though, the SSD caching scheme has a slight parasitic effect on maximum file transfer rates. I abandonded SRT and returned the 60GB SSD.

Like you, I've become equally tired of tinkering with hardware.

Tim20 wrote on 10/15/2012, 3:02 PM
If you have the correct MB you can use VIRTU MVP to enable the intel HD4000 graphics to help your video card. Getting this to work can be a little frustrating because the ASUS documentation is weak.

Also, you will likely need to load an Intel driver for Windows 8 to get the Sony AVC codec to show. It is buried somewhere in the forums here.

I have the stock intel cooler and it runs just fine under very heavy loads.
WillemT wrote on 10/15/2012, 3:09 PM
If you already use an SSD for the OS and Apps as a system disk, why would you want to use Smart Response?

I am using a spinner for my OS and apps and hence have an SSD using Smart Response to cash it. I wanted a larger system drive than I could afford in SSD at the time. Smart Response does provide me the advantages of and SSD for loading the OS and apps (or at least close). I had to enable raid to use the feature but I cannot remember having to load any raid drivers/software (it was a while back). I am not using any other disks in a Raid configuration.

I do not think you will get any advantages using Smart Response to cash an SSD - more likely the opposite.

Willem.
videoITguy wrote on 10/15/2012, 3:17 PM
With your SSD config Smart Repsonse will serve little purpose - forget that and the raid as well. I would urge you to please think about large files and large numbers of video streams if that is the type of edit you plan on - from harddrives that are configured 7200RPM Sata6 or at least outboard USB3.0 optimized for the stream off. SSD is not going to work the way you imagine.

I am truly sorry to hear you don't enjoy config.... as a large IT project manager I have supervised the config of mutliple servers and thousands of client machines...I love it -great hobby to enjoy as well.
Former user wrote on 10/15/2012, 4:02 PM
Any other tips for optimizing the system? I've updated the specs (system #2).

Since I too just went to the 3770k/ASUS/SSD route...here's my suggestions:

1. Use the M4 for the system drive .
2. Use normal hard drives for everything else
3. Take back the other SSD.
4. Pay no mind to any Intel induced crap on any motherboard like Smart Reponse...none of it will make any difference to your overall workflow.
5. Use Kingston memory with any ASUS board. Not sure why anyone would purchase exotic fancy RAM for these boards unless it's a massively overclocked "trying to squeeze every last nanosecond from it" kinda build.

And even then - the gains are practically invisible vs the cost. I spent like 80 bucks total on 16GB of RAM and this new machine is easily the fastest I have ever used. Over the years - I now see memory like like buying an HDMI cable - those ones and zeroes don't really go faster or "better" the more cash you spend.

6. RAID? Cmon....you know better.

7. Best CPU cooler I have found (for the money) - several years running - are from Arctic Cooler. I went with the Freezer Pro 7 v2 this time around...can't even hear the thing...and the rig is a constant 29C at all times.

Good luck with the new rig!

VP
Guy S. wrote on 10/16/2012, 3:23 PM
GREAT responses, THANKS!

OK, so I'll forget about using SRT to speed things up. I've already got the 2nd SSD installed so I'll just use it for temp files. I only have one data drive and that has been more than adequate for the work I do at home.

I'm wondering how to set up my system to use the 3770's built-in graphics along with my nVidia card. I've installed the software but the documentation is really weak about how to use it and I understand that there may be issues when using it with Vegas.