A HUGE RISK, PLEASE ACT NOW!

aboammar wrote on 5/4/2016, 8:09 AM
As many of you know, SCS is very likely going to pull the plug and killing Vegas Pro because of very low demands! I know that there are a huge numbers of Vegas Pro users worldwide, but it is either an old version, or a pirated copy, and this is hurting SCS so badly to the extent of maybe having no other choice but to kill Vegas Pro.

So I beg you to help keeping Vegas Pro alive by supporting SCS to continue developing it by:
1- Buying original copy, for those who do not own it yet.
2- Upgrade to version 13 even if you are fully satisfied with your current version.
3- Signing this important petition: www.ipetitions.com/petition/keep-vegas-alive.
4- Making as much people as possible aware of the petition and of this critical situation by spreading the word in all Vegas forums and all other social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter.

Your action is highly appreciated and it will make a huge difference ...Thank you.

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

Display: 23.6" UHD 4K

CPU: Xeon E3-1270 v5  quad-core @ 3.60GHz, 8MB cache, up to 4GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

GPU: nVidia Quadro M2000M 4GB

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC memory

System Drive: 1TB M.2 (2500MB/s)

Working Drive: 1TB M.2 (2500MB/s)

Storage Drive: 3GB SSD (500MB/s)

Video: Vegas Pro 16 Suite / DaVinci Resolve 16 Studio

Audio: PreSonus Studio One Pro 5

Graphics: CorelDraw Technical Suite 2020 / Xara Designer Pro X365

Image Editing: Corel PhotoPaint 2020 / Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate / PHASEONE Capture One Pro 11

3D Graphics: Maxon Cinema 4D Studio 10

Camera: Sony A7S II / A7 III

Vimeo: vimeo.com/innoviahouse

Comments

videoITguy wrote on 5/4/2016, 8:50 AM
Signing an on-line petition is a complete waste of time.

Many of the forum members in long-standing and I am certain that many VegasPro user/owners understand the market forces at work here. In fact many eloquent statements have been made over the years that completely grasp the situation.

It would be great if VegasPro Version13 continues to be sold/delivered by download for years to come - but in reality the on-going piracy over the years has taken care of that issue in both the pro and con sort of way.
wwjd wrote on 5/4/2016, 9:34 AM
well said, ITGuy. I've never heard or seen any petition do anything more than help people vent socially.

VEGAS will STILL WORK... at least it is not subscription crippled. Business is business is business.... it it isn't working (finacially) it dies - whether WE like it or not. Life and all that.
aboammar wrote on 5/4/2016, 9:43 AM
Guys .. maybe petition will not work but it is not a waste of time .. it will not take you even 15 seconds of your time to just click a button on that page.. so you have nothing to lose anyway!

As for Vegas Pro, yes it will continue to work for few years but what will happen when a new Windows OS comes out that Vegas Pro is not compatible?

Please lets try to be optimistic and do something ..let us do our part, and if it dose not work, then at least we did our part .. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem.

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

CPU: Xeon E3-1270 v5  quad-core @ 3.60GHz, 8MB cache, up to 4GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Image Editing: Corel PhotoPaint 2020 / Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate / PHASEONE Capture One Pro 11

John222 wrote on 5/4/2016, 9:48 AM
If it is going away, hopefully they will put version 13 on firesale.
Tech Diver wrote on 5/4/2016, 10:35 AM
@aboammar

I commend your valiant effort for trying to save Vegas, but there are a few things that you need to be aware of when it comes to corporate finance and business practices. Namely, all companies are expected to grow in revenue as time goes on. If a division of a corporation has either steady (no growth) or declining revenues, it becomes a target for divestment by either closure or sale of that division. Revenue forecasts are based on Bayesian logic where past history is used to extrapolate future expectations. Looking back at the low frequency of releases, It is does not take an insider to realize that this division is having financial difficulties. Lastly, if the decision was made in the Japan corporate offices of Sony to divest the Creative Software division, there is no possible chance for any reversal of that decision, as one does not want to _ever_ "lose face" in the Japanese corporate culture! I have worked for an American division of Fujitsu Corporation as well as Oyo Corporation and have seen this in person.

Peter
DGates wrote on 5/4/2016, 11:10 AM
Aboammar, go away.
Former user wrote on 5/4/2016, 11:29 AM
As for Vegas Pro, yes it will continue to work for few years but what will happen when a new Windows OS comes out that Vegas Pro is not compatible?

If Vegas is that important to you - there is no rock solid reason that you absoulutely have to update your OS. You can run Vegas on XP on your home LAN if you really need to. It will all still work.

Please lets try to be optimistic and do something ..let us do our part, and if it does not work, then at least we did our part .. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem.

We all - did our part - for years and years in some cases - (2002) for me. I bought ALL my software and upgraded like clockwork.

But after seeing what happened with ACID for the last few years and now Vegas - I would not be surprised if the entire SMS division is shut down and ALL apps sent off into the sunset. It's clear that Sony has other ideas about the marketplace now.

If a business decision has been made - no amount of petitions or any other crap like that will matter. It is what it is - enjoy it while you can and then move on.

Change is everywhere.

VP
VidMus wrote on 5/4/2016, 1:12 PM
aboammar,

Thanks much for your post and this thread! The sad part is that every positive effort made here is met with negative replies including no positive offers of alternative solutions.

It seems that the majority here have declared Vegas dead and there is no way to revive it!

Maybe the writing is indeed on the wall and Vegas is indeed dead at least from a marketing point of view.

So who killed Vegas Pro?

(1) Those who spread and use pirated versions.

(2) Those who sit on older versions and did not support Vegas Pro where it REALLY counts as with their checkbooks.

(3) Sony Corporation who gave out copies of Premiere with cameras and other hardware instead of Vegas.

(4) And whatever else one can include here.

My hope is that SCS will either release a final build that does not need to call home when installed on one's system so in the future when I need to do a system rebuild, I can still install Vegas Pro OR sell Vegas Pro to another company that will continue development of it.

It is my hope that the petition will at least help SCS know that there are those here like us who really want to see Vegas Pro continue. It may indeed not make any difference but at least they can see our sincere desires for continued support.

Anyway, whatever happens here, Vegas Pro is installed on my new system build, it works and it will continue to work for the foreseeable future. And yes, it works with my 4k Sony AX53 camera. And it is a GREAT camera!

Thanks much,

www.dannyfye.com
John222 wrote on 5/4/2016, 1:19 PM
I would be happy to upgrade from version 11, but there is simply no advantage for me. While I really like Vegas, it's still missing things important to me such as tracking.
Eagle Six wrote on 5/4/2016, 2:08 PM
"3- Signing this important petition: www.ipetitions.com/petition/keep-vegas-alive."

Petitions can work for you or against you. Although only 2 days old, this one has a total of 229 signatures with a goal of 500. If the response isn't overwhelming, the cause-and-effect may very well be negative. The goal of 500 may be insignificant.

Just a comment, which shouldn't imply I'm not in favor of this petition, or any other.

Best Regards.......George

System Specs......
Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 (overclocked 20%)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 boot drive
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD - video work drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - video work drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive

Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 10 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 pb2
SVP13, MVP15, MVP16, SMSP13, MVMS15, MVMSP15, MVMSP16

farss wrote on 5/4/2016, 3:21 PM
[I]" If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. "[/I]

Not really. The problem is declining share of a declining market.
Adobe moved to a subscription model in the hope of preserving a revenue stream.
Sony has been slashing the cost of their cameras, they're almost at the point of giving the camera away while trying to make a dime on the ongoing cost of ownership.
Sorry to sound bleak but working in the industry I see serious decline wherever I look.

Bob.
Former user wrote on 5/4/2016, 3:59 PM
The problem is declining share of a declining market.

Nailed it.

If Vegas (or the entire SMS line) fades into the sunset - it's certainly has nothing to do with piracy or those who sit on older version or whatever excuse you want to name.

This is pure business. There comes a point in every products life - where the returns simply do not make sense when weighed against the cost of producing said item.

In the case of Vegas - it's been a massive undertaking for over 15 years with tons of expensive moving parts. Programmers want money - lots of it. In the end - no matter how much people "claim" to love it or people "think" sales are hot for said item - if it becomes a liability to a company to produce the item - the end game is simple.

Let's not forget this important fact - Sony - as a company - wrote the book on how to lose money fast - and they do it with style every year. If this comes to pass - it should be no surprise to anyone considering the company involved here.

VP
VidMus wrote on 5/4/2016, 6:31 PM
@ Vocalpoint

"...it's certainly has nothing to do with piracy or those who sit on older version or whatever excuse you want to name."

Excuse? I respectfully disagree with that. No matter what is said, if there are those who do not do their part then they ARE part of the problem!

"Let's not forget this important fact - Sony - as a company - wrote the book on how to lose money fast - and they do it with style every year."

Now that is something I can definitely agree with. But that does NOT excuse those who do not do their part.

I started with version 6 and upgraded every time. I did my part. And you?

WHATEVER!!! I am getting extremely tired of all this negative stuff! It is NOT helpful in my use of Vegas Pro 13! So I am moving on from this subject. I have a lot of video work to do with Vegas Pro 13, so I will focus on that for a while.

See you later and may God bless you all!

www.dannyfye.com
Kinvermark wrote on 5/4/2016, 7:25 PM
"This is pure business. There comes a point in every products life - where the returns simply do not make sense when weighed against the cost of producing said item."

...and yet we have new entrants into the marketplace who obviously perceive profits to be made! Blackmagic Davinci Resolve , Hitfilm, Lightworks, FCP X, any more?

It is really hard to see what SCS would make money from if they killed Vegas - surely it is their biggest source of revenue. So this is more than a product lifecycle issue, it is the continued existence of SCS at all that is at stake.
Former user wrote on 5/4/2016, 8:10 PM
I started with version 6 and upgraded every time. I did my part. And you?

Version 1 over here bro. And all the way to v12 - which I considered to be more than enough for my needs. (plus I have a phobia with any "13th" version of anything - bad luck vibe and all :)

And - I did it for ALL the SMS "big three" apps (Vegas, ACID and Forge).

I easily did my part. But that is irrelevant. This is business plain and simple. Definitely not worth petitions and pointing fingers at others who "did not do their part".

Sony will decide what happens here. Not us.

VP
riredale wrote on 5/5/2016, 6:33 AM
Oh, for heaven's sake.

Vegas won't "stop working." And it's going to be a LONG time before the latest Vegas is incompatible with Windows18. And if it is, just use your Windows17.

Apologies to all for repeating myself but Vegas is just a tool, like a hammer or drill. As long as registration is still possible from the mothership, your copy of Vegas will continue to work as it does today.

And frankly, Sony runs a business, not a charity. If Vegas has value (and it does) then Sony won't just shut things down. They will sell to the highest bidder, who will do with Vegas as they see fit. Heck, if the numbers pencil out, I'll buy it. Each of you guys is good for $500K or so, yeah? Now THAT would make a splash in the industry.

Meanwhile, worry about something worth worrying about, like an Isis with nukes.
aboammar wrote on 5/7/2016, 10:12 AM
I appreciate all positive feedbacks, especially the one of VidMus, so thank you very much.

As for the negative once, I am really so surprised! If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem .. period.

Finally, I am not sure what is wrong with this so called DGates?!!! Is he mentally ill? All his replies are always against me on the personal level!!!!!!!! DGates, please go see a doctor for God sake!

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

NormanPCN wrote on 5/7/2016, 10:27 AM
@aboammar

I see you saying something personal. Talking about mental illness and see a doctor.
!!!!!!!!
Terje wrote on 5/8/2016, 2:49 AM
>> So who killed Vegas Pro?

(5) SCS (probably management) that kept adding stupid, useless features to the product while completely ignoring bugs that are now close to a decade old. I have a number of projects that can only be opened in older versions of Vegas, and any problem reported to SCS is completely ignored.

In the end, quality usually sells, and since SF was bough by Sony, quality has been going down hill at a faster and faster speed.
FPP wrote on 5/8/2016, 2:55 AM
I would like to continue mining great ideas from this forum from working professionals..
At least when they complain about something, everybody works together and "TA Dow" a work-around has been discovered.. ( the good ole days).
Speaking for myself, I'm trying to be the best video editor I can be.. So I don't spend too much time trying to figure out the inner workings of the corporate world.
One thing is clear here.. Most of the noise is probably coming from persons who don't use the software very much because they are too occupied with trolling for "Cyber Conflict" and could care less about learning how to use Vegas or any other NLE..
Terje wrote on 5/8/2016, 3:00 AM
Oh, for heavens sake:
>> Vegas won't "stop working

For some of us it hasn't worked in years, and bugs that are years and years old are completely ignored by SCS. I loved Vegas, and I still think it has the very best work flow, but for me it hasn't worked since version 9. I still have to keep 9 around to open some of the older projects. If I try to open them in later versions I only get "Vegas has stopped working" or, if the day is a good one, Vegas will allow me to make minor modifications and then it crashes.

If I start a new project in any of the later versions of Vegas and I apply "Film Look", Vegas will crash within seconds. Shoting with Log profiles, not having access to this plugin as a pain in the neck, and that alone makes me use Premiere.

Vegas now has, what three(?) titlers. None of them work all that well. The original is a little primitive, then there was the new titler which was alluring, but useless the day it was released, with so many problems it was 100% unusable. It was NEVER attended to and stayed a useless piece of junk until SCS decided to include a third party tool It had potential, but it was developed once, by one developer, who probably quit, and then it was NEVER attended to.

A company must understand that it is the existing customer base that keeps it alive, even those who do not upgrade every version. The thing that keeps old customers hanging on is QUALITY, all the way. It is fixing bugs.

Adding fancy (and some times really DUMB, yeah, 3D) features left and right may attract new curious customers, but if it happens at the cost of fixing old bugs, your existing customer base is going to grow tired of your nonsense and find a company that actually cares about their customer base. Say whet you will about Adobe, but they do TRY to fix bugs. More often than not they are able to. SCS has barely tried since they became Sony.
FPP wrote on 5/8/2016, 3:22 AM
I can tell who here is serious about a good "Workflow".. Vegas has a very intuitive interface and I just can't see how it can be so bad some users.. Maybe because I haven't used many other NLEs and being so used to Vegas I haven't found a need to.
What would it take for an NLE to make everybody eternally happy and complaint free?
Larry Clifford wrote on 5/8/2016, 5:00 AM
I saw a comment about registration. What will happen if you have to rebuild your system and it needs to be registered? Where will it go on the Internet if this division no longer exists? Will that legal reloaded copy work? I doubt it. Now where do you go, Adobe with their high dollar subscriptions? I believe my system will have to be rebuilt soon.

I do have a legal copy of Movie Studio HD Platinum V 11. It is not even loaded on my system because I don't edit video. I bought it in case I want to edit video some day. I have stayed with this version because it is the last version not coded for one of the "box" operating systems, e.g., Windows 8 or 10.

OK, I don't use a video program from Sony, but I do use Sound Forge Pro 11. I have bought the last few upgrades even though I don't have to because my editing is very simple. According to comments here and other threads, some of you continue to buy upgrades with the idea of keeping Sony alive. You are to be commended for that.

I could have also bought Sound Audio Studio which costs less, but I didn't. I bought the more expensive Sound Forge Pro 11.

What will happen to this forum if Sony does not exist? There is a lot of information here. Just do a search and see how much information there really is.

Also, information about the probable end to Vegas Pro 14 is not mentioned in the Sound Forge area of the forum. You man ask what does a relatively small and inexpensive set of programs have to do with Vegas Pro 14. A lot. Everything that has been said here why Sony is in financial trouble applies to Sound Forge. Granted, we are a smaller group and have less money than this group of programs, but every little bit helps.

Now for a little pity party. Some may even wish I did not post in this big part of the forum. What do I have to do with video you may ask. Sometimes I can get information here that is not in the sound part of the forum.

Thank you for listening. I appreciate it.

PS: I did sign the petition that some thought was a waste of time. Anything that will help is worth the effort.
Grazie wrote on 5/8/2016, 5:25 AM
I saw a comment about registration.

Yup, that was mine, and is still needing a response.

G